Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 10th February 2019

Liked 160 Times in 103 Posts
Re: Resolution and Image Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
The things I mentioned were to help people get to appreciate art without getting prescriptive about things like Emin's Bed. I went to an Emin show at Tate Britain which included the bed, I was not unhappy about it, I was glad that I went to the show.

I have a reasonably wide appreciation of art including a collection of South Western (AZ and NM) original art that has been collected over the last 18 years or so.

Subject to physical capability we go to the various exhibitions in London and other places and enjoy them.
As drmarkf stated, it's the individual's choice. As an owner of several angle grinders I just wish I could get the Tate to purchase chopped up washing machines from me

Darkroom
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (10th February 2019), Gate Keeper (15th February 2019)
Old 10th February 2019

Liked 495 Times in 351 Posts

Yoou have to start small, set up a story and then get some PR and you are set for a career as a creative angle grinder artist. After all some peope make a living creating carvings from tree trunks with a chain saw.
Darkroom (10th February 2019), drmarkf (10th February 2019)
Old 10th February 2019
Administrator

Liked 464 Times in 253 Posts

Sorry for distracting this thread with my comment ... why don't we get back to discussing the quality of workmanship in that painting which I consider to be 100% superb

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 10th February 2019

Liked 160 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
Sorry for distracting this thread with my comment ... why don't we get back to discussing the quality of workmanship in that painting which I consider to be 100% superb

Regards
Andy
Personally Andy I don't consider your comment was a distraction. The quality of the workmanship in the painting is obviously beyond dispute but as all threads do, the conversation has developed into other lines of thought and considerations in this case, relating to art.

So far, the comments have all been valid and constructive opinions, albeit some slightly tongue in cheek. Some posts have included some valuable interesting links. Everyone has different opinions and perceptions on what a fine painting or other item of art should be and expressing those opinions, as you and others have, within the forum, in a polite manner, is surely the whole point of the thread.

As always, I could be wrong

Darkroom
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkroom For This Useful Post:
shenstone (10th February 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (10th February 2019)
Old 10th February 2019

Liked 1,454 Times in 928 Posts

My partner's late father is a listed artist and there are several of his paintings hanging in the house. He was born in Koenigsberg, East Prussia (now Kaliningrad, Russia). He served in the Wehrmacht on the Eastern front and some of his sketches are quite harrowing (eg. bodies being tipped from a cart into a mass grave!) Much of his work was lost when my partner's mother and her, her sister and brother had to flee from the advancing Russians.

The 'artistic gene' carried through to my partner and late sister who were both graphic designers, and her younger brother who's a stone mason. My partner's middle daughter is an art teacher and a granddaughter is a medical scientist, who's started producing artwork. Some of it is a bit macabre - see halfway down this page:

https://www.charlotte-poppy-illustration.com/bio

When my partner had a pacemaker fitted, we used the 'heart with poppies' one on a 'thank you' card to the ward staff!

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Darkroom (10th February 2019)
Graham_of_Rainham (10th February 2019)
Old 10th February 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,522 Times in 865 Posts

I enquired about installing a perspective breaking piece (I would never call it art) in the turbine hall of Tate Modern.

They were interested, right up to the point where they asked about my “artists credentials”...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Darkroom (11th February 2019), drmarkf (10th February 2019), Jim Ford (10th February 2019), Keith-369 (10th February 2019)
Old 10th February 2019

Liked 1,454 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
I'd give it 90% - the poses of the standing figures are stiff and unnatural, but then it was pretty much the style in those times.

My own taste is mainly for Turner, Pre-Raphaelites, Glasgow Boys and various others. I don't like a lot of modern stuff, especially abstract and conceptual art.

I've been in the Tate Modern once. I felt like saying at the enquiries counter 'I understand that there's an art gallery nearby, I wonder if you could direct me to it', and walk out laughing when they tell me that I was in it!

Jim
Darkroom (10th February 2019), drmarkf (10th February 2019)
Old 10th February 2019

Liked 1,163 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroom View Post
Personally Andy I don't consider your comment was a distraction. The quality of the workmanship in the painting is obviously beyond dispute but as all threads do, the conversation has developed into other lines of thought and considerations in this case, relating to art.

So far, the comments have all been valid and constructive opinions, albeit some slightly tongue in cheek. Some posts have included some valuable interesting links. Everyone has different opinions and perceptions on what a fine painting or other item of art should be and expressing those opinions, as you and others have, within the forum, in a polite manner, is surely the whole point of the thread.

As always, I could be wrong

Darkroom
Yes, I agree. This sort of thread is surely the bread and butter of the Lounge here.

Over the years I’ve learned all sorts of things from people on here that have nothing to do with photography (never mind those that do), and it’s also in my view valuable to be reminded that not all perfectly reasonable people think alike.

My wife and I go to a lot of gallery exhibitions and shows, including many ‘modern’ art ones. Overall I’d say I like about 25% works in the average modern gallery, and perhaps another 25% are ‘interesting’ in some way or other.

Not that different from ‘classical’ art galleries overall, where maybe 50% works I find dull.

I’d say it’s well worth keeping an eye on what’s on at the Tate Modern - they have some wonderful photography exhibitions. Elton John’s fantastic collection last year, where I went on a curator’s tour, and Martin Parr, to name but two.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Darkroom (11th February 2019)
Old 12th February 2019

Liked 511 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:

Regards
Andy
Indeed it is a superb painting. Some artists did works of art under different names, in this case, anonymous. There will be an expert who will recognise the style, the strokes, the detailing, the play on light and will have an inkling as to who the artist is.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Old 12th February 2019
Administrator

Liked 464 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Indeed it is a superb painting. Some artists did works of art under different names, in this case, anonymous. There will be an expert who will recognise the style, the strokes, the detailing, the play on light and will have an inkling as to who the artist is.

And sometimes you don't even need to be an expert ... through my historical researches I was able to put an artist name to this picture which was previously listed as "unknown"

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/...1921233/page/1

regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Gate Keeper (13th February 2019), Jim Ford (12th February 2019)
Old 13th February 2019

Liked 511 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
And sometimes you don't even need to be an expert ... through my historical researches I was able to put an artist name to this picture which was previously listed as "unknown"

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/...1921233/page/1

regards
Andy
Andy, you must have felt quite chuffed. In your place, I would have been Behind every photo there is a story. I think the same can apply to a painting or to caricature. Over the years we have collected various oil paintings, including caricatures done by Thomas Rowlandson. An aunt in South Africa said she needed a whack of money to buy herself a new Range cooker and some other things for her kitchen. She had a Rowlandson, we had always wanted. We did her a good deal and bought it off her for £3,000. I brought it back to Kenya on the plane. I realise the caricatures don’t appeal to everyone and you might wonder what the artist was trying to say in his/her highly detailed photographic quality painting in the original post of this thread. It is certainly appreciated for the artistic skills.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc