Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 20th July 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: Panasonic Lumix G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
My nephew bought a G3 ...

...However, for me it felt too small, which was surprise as I have small hands.
The clawed-finger positions which the G3 encourages weren't pleasant, and I even felt the small Pens had a more relaxed grip position for me at least.
With the G5 getting a bigger grip I'm hoping it'll just edge back over the "too small" line into "comfortably compact".
Old 20th July 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Two things we have in common.

I dabbled with a friends xz-1 fitted with the EVF over many weeks and even with my bad eyesight etc., I was able to manage quite well the controls through the EVF, funnily enough with my distance glasses. My so-called reading glasses don't quite work as everything remains blurred?

On this premise, I've just bought a 2nd hand EP-3 with an EVF and it seems as if it will be OK over the long-term, at least for me. As an additional bonus, if there is a need in carrying various lens etc., you don't end up with a bad back. With such a small format, a decent field jacket [many pockets] will help do away with camera bags.

You might want to try out something along these lines if looking to the future.
As with any decent electronic viewfinder (and DSLR finders) there will be diopter adjustment to compensate for your vision. These finders are designed to work with your eye focused for distance, which is the most relaxed setup. So using reading glasses is not recommended .

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 29th July 2012

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yes, be good to see how olympus stacks up against its m4/3rds stablemate

How about an OM-D EM-5 vs G5 review and test

The Oly is on my 'wants' list, but is currently far too costly for me to even consider..........unless some kind person donates one to me
Old 29th July 2012

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd love to read a full extensive test of the Oly OM-D EM-5 paired with the new G5 to find out how they both handle and the quality of images they produce.

At present the Oly is on my "wish list ", but I'm unlikely to buy one because of its cost, as it's well above my modest budget !

Lastly is the G5 significantly better than the G3, and worth the extra cost ?