Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 9th July 2012

Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
Smile A Compact Tripod for my E-M5

I have a Manfrotto 190 tripod that must be 25 years old that was invaluable with my Canon EOSD outfit, now largely replaced by a Manfrotto CarbonOne tripod that I bought at Focus when it was being superseded. But both are too big for my new small E-M5 outfit, and won't get taken on many walks with me!

I wondered about monopods, but still like the ability to have a free-standing camera on a tripod for landscapes and group photos. So I've been looking around for a 'Micro 4/3rds' tripod.

Then I spotted the Manfrotto M-Y carbon fibre tripod (732CY) being sold with a small 3-way quick release head by Jessops. The tripod was originally being sold for 240 but Jessops are selling them off for 85. It's very light, but with a load capacity that more than covers an E-M5 with a 100-300 zoom lens. And the carbon fibre legs are said to damp out vibration far better than aluminium legs.

It's shorter than my CarbonOne, both for carrying on my LowePro Slingshot 102 and in use, but with the folding LCD screen on my E-M5 there's no problem composing landscape format shots.

All in all, it looks a good buy, and supports my philosophy that the best outfit is the one that's light enough to be taken with you.

Details at http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...2276/show.html

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CJJE For This Useful Post:
ashtonsd (10th July 2012), David Morison (9th July 2012), Habbie (9th July 2012), Wee man (9th July 2012)