Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 12th July 2012

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts
OM-D and "Legacy" glass ... anyone ?

Has anyone used the OM-D with manual focus "legacy" lenses ? If so just how easy, or difficult is it to obtain accurate focus.

As much as I love my E5 and 14/35 + 150 I am tempted to go for an OM-D to use with my Leica "R" lenses. I have used the Leica lenses on the E5 but find I can't "nail" focus as often as when I use them on an "R" body.

I have considered the Rioch GXR with "M" module & "R-M Adapter", also the Sony NEX 7 but do not like the handling of either, although the "focus peaking" is superb on both. The Fuji X Pro is another contender and right now I think it is a toss up between the Fuji and the Olympus. Both look great and I know both can deliver the goods but it is the OM-D that is tugging at my heart the most.

So if you have used or are using "manual focus legacy lenses" with the OM-D how easy do you find focussing ?

I know I could sell the "R" lenses and get a comprehensive OM-D outfit but that is not what I want to do, however if the OM-D and legacy glass is straightforward and relatively quick to accurately focus I may well be tempted to part with the 4/3 and go fully M4/3 . Then again the E5 & SHG are perfect for use in our current British climate.

In case it is of interest or you are thinking "is it really worth the bother" my "R" lenses are 19mm, 28mm & 90mm F2.8 ROM's / 50mm F2 ROM / 180 F3.4 APO / 280 F4 APO ,

In advance of any replies ..... thank you,

Simon
Old 12th July 2012

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Re: OM-D and "Legacy" glass ... anyone ?

I would have thought that was just the sort of demonstration that a good camera shop would allow you to do in store, although it would be sensible to phone in advance to say you were coming in and check stock availability. That's what I did when I bought a P1 and wanted to check the focus speed on standard four thirds glass.

Not directly relevant to your question but that P1 of mine is very easy to focus on good legacy glass, as when it hits the exact focus point a touch of moire appears. Fortunately just on the screen, not on the actual image! It is entirely possible that the M5 would behave similarily.

Roger
Old 12th July 2012

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts

I use a Yashica 50/1.7, Vivitar 55 macro and Voigtlander 75/2.5 with the OM-D. When using the magnified view on the EVF combined with IBIS to steady the image as you focus, it's pretty good. I wish the camera had the "catch in focus" system built into Pentax bodies which is really helpful for telephoto shots, but other than that I have no complaints.
Old 13th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
I would have thought that was just the sort of demonstration that a good camera shop would allow you to do in store,

Roger
Yes I would hope for that too, the problem is that to my knowledge there is not a store locally that has one and as I run my one business it is not easy finding the time to take a day out and travel quite some distance for a demo. So before I commit to arranging extra staff cover and the costs associated with that I was hoping that I may get some user experience off the forum to help with my decision.

Simon
Old 13th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSchick View Post
I use a Yashica 50/1.7, Vivitar 55 macro and Voigtlander 75/2.5 with the OM-D. When using the magnified view on the EVF combined with IBIS to steady the image as you focus, it's pretty good. I wish the camera had the "catch in focus" system built into Pentax bodies which is really helpful for telephoto shots, but other than that I have no complaints.
Thanks Jon, very useful to know.

Simon
Old 13th July 2012

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

I have only limited experience with the OM-D E-M5 as I took delivery of the camera only 10 days ago and the weather has severely limited my photographic opportunities. I have however put the camera through its paces around the house and in the garden on the rare occasions when it has not been raining.

I have tried my Leica M lenses and can say that my older Summicron 35mm and my new Summilux 50mm work very well. In particular focusing is easy at wide apertures using magnification and viewfinder IS. I think the Ricoh GXR is perhaps a little easier due to the focus peaking but the OMD viewfinder is both more convenient being fixed and also has a better specification. I am happy to use either.

I have not tried any really short focal length lenses which are the ones most likely to have problems with colour casts at the edges of images. As far as I know the Ricoh GXR A12 M Mount is the only camera apart from Leica to have the special orientation of microlenses to correct problems due to light hitting the periphery of the sensor at an angle.

Perhaps other users of this forum may have experience with shorter FL lenses. A search on one of the Leica forums might throw up some information as there has been quite a bit if interest in the OMD among Leica users.

Archie
Old 13th July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

My eyes these days sometimes have difficulty getting precise manual focus, nevertheless I find it quite easy in reasonable light to focus my Tamron SP90 and OM 50 and 28 mm lenses. And, before I returned it to its original owner, the Voigtlander 75mm. I do find it quite satifying, when I can manage it.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site