Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 2,291 Times in 738 Posts
Young Chinese Water Deer

We were walking at Strumpshaw Fen yesterday when we came across this beautiful young Chinese Water Deer browsing in the reeds beside the path about 5 metres away. We stopped still, expecting it to bolt into the reeds, as they usually do, but it carried on feeding unconcerned. I raised my camera when it looked away and took quite a few shots. After about five minutes it suddenly decided that it shouldn't be so close and bounded into the reeds and disappeared.

E-M1 II and 300mm F4.

Ron
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Dave in Wales (1 Week Ago), Graham_of_Rainham (1 Week Ago), Melaka (1 Week Ago), MJ224 (1 Week Ago), OM USer (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,795 Times in 929 Posts
Re: Young Chinese Water Deer

Superb set of photos Ron. You were in the right place at the right time. And you were obviously something worth looking at. Pretty little thing (deer)…………...

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 780 Times in 363 Posts

Ron,

I am very envious and pleased for you. Wonderful shots of a normally shy animal. What an opportunity.

I feel your closeness has given a real quality to the images and it shows great fieldcraft in getting close and then keep still for such a long time.

The lens really helps with the colour clarity and fur texture. Lovely shots.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 2,291 Times in 738 Posts

Many thanks for your kind comments Mark and Peter. We had another close encounter with a Chinese Water Deer shortly before this one, which was rather more typical of my experiences with these shy creatures.

We were on a boardwalk walking through the reed beds looking for the Common Lizards which often sun themselves at the edges. As we turned a corner I spotted a Lizard and was pointing it out to Lynn when there was a loud scrabbling noise ahead of us. A Chinese Water Deer had been lying on the boardwalk and was struggling for grip on the boards as it panicked to launch itself into the reeds. I commented to Lynn that they had lost none of their shyness, despite frequently coming into contact with people on the reserve. Then a few minutes later we encountered this little one which made a mockery of my comment.

Ron
The Following Users Liked This Post:
art frames (1 Week Ago), MJ224 (1 Week Ago)