Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Easy lens changing

My policy has always been one lens one camera but with only one Olympus and 3 lenses that's not possible . I hate camera bags so that's not going to happen so how do you do it ...take lens off camera ..find lens cap in bag ..fit select new lens remove lens cap fit to camera .now some of this takes three hands etc
So the solution is to mount two 4/3 mounts back to back and suspend them from your belt or whatever . I used two extension tubes and fitted the mounts back to back with a black plastic separator .
So now you have lens no2 hanging from your belt ..you take lens 1 off the camera and fit it into the empty F mount. Then remove lens 2 and fit it to the camera.
If you insist on a camera bag then glue two lens caps back to back and just swop the lenses end for end .
Photo below

[url=http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/100830][/url[/IMG]

The one in the photo is for Nikon but I just ordered a set of extension tubes for 4/3 and will strip and fix them back to back.
there is a commercial version by Peak Designs but not for 4/3.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peak-Desi...53.m1438.l2649
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,217 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Easy lens changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistnbroke View Post
If you insist on a camera bag then glue two lens caps back to back and just swop the lenses end for end .
I've ordered 2 lens caps in order to do that.

I'm going to use double sided foam tape to attach them back to back. Good though modern adhesives are, the bond can fail abruptly (and catastrophically) with thermoplastic plastics. Thermosetting plastics are generally safer in this respect. A tape bond will fail progressively hence giving warning.

Jim
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks jim ..glad to see someone has the brain to understand and act !! 10/10
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,073 Times in 813 Posts
Liked 4,930 Times in 1,608 Posts

This is a nice idea. I think there might be some commercially available contraptions available made expressly for this purpose.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 107 Times in 79 Posts

One of my cameras does not have a dust removal system due to being converted to IR. So I always fit a lens back on the body as quickly as possible.
Take cap off the lens I'm going to fit - but the lens down somewhere secure & readily to hand - take lens off camera & fit replacement - then put the initial cap on the new lens.
With smaller lenses there's no need to put the lens down I can hold 2 small lenses OK...

It only gets awkward when the lens I want is currently on my other body.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 243 Times in 138 Posts

You can get these (this is for Canon) -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Movo-Multi-...nger+and+strap

and for Nikon, Sony and Pentax but, silly as it may sound, not it seems for M43.

Keith
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,143 Times in 1,073 Posts

If I understand it correctly, the spare lens is just hanging from your belt. I am unsure I want the spare swinging from my belt, open to bangs and crashes.

Maybe I have misunderstood??

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 117 Times in 75 Posts

I have been using a Movo lens changer since March this year - see http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47495

Mine is MFT mount although it is not currently available from Amazon UK.

I find it very useful for quick lens changes in the field, although I only use it for smaller lenses, up to my 40-150 f/4-5.6
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,202 Times in 951 Posts
Liked 1,632 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

I'm going to use double sided foam tape to attach them back to back. Good though modern adhesives are, the bond can fail abruptly (and catastrophically) with thermoplastic plastics. Thermosetting plastics are generally safer in this respect. A tape bond will fail progressively hence giving warning.

Jim
Pardon me if I'm misreading you, but what part will the back to back lens caps do? It seems like you're relying on supporting a lens with it. I would want a proper lens mount with locking pin (such as a modified extension tube) for that purpose & screws & nuts to connect them, like this, but maybe I've misunderstood your purpose. For my part, a messenger style bag is my preferred method, or Lowepro Flipside 400 AW.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Pardon me if I'm misreading you, but what part will the back to back lens caps do? It seems like you're relying on supporting a lens with it. I would want a proper lens mount with locking pin (such as a modified extension tube) for that purpose & screws & nuts to connect them, like this, but maybe I've misunderstood your purpose. For my part, a messenger style bag is my preferred method, or Lowepro Flipside 400 AW.
No, I'm just going to use the back to back set up for storing the lenses compactly and conveniently in a bag without them bumping around into each other. I think that others on the forum have also done it

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,158 Times in 1,205 Posts

Do you use a body cap to keep the lens carrier dust free?

Where do you park the un-mounted lens at the start of the changing procedure??!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

If you go to the Peak designs site there is a video showing how it all functions.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 117 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
Do you use a body cap to keep the lens carrier dust free?

i have not had a problem with dust in my Movo carrier, perhaps because it is of metal construction and does not attract dust as plastic would. If, say, I have the 12-50 lens on my camera, I remove that first and fit it on the spare mount on the carrier and then remove the 40-150 from the carrier and fit it to the camera - it only takes seconds. There is a central partition in the Movo carrier which protects the rear ends of the lenses and I keep clear filters on my lenses so I don't need to bother with lens caps. The Movo is on a long neck strap such that the lens not in use clings quite close to my body.
See photo at http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB...8506&mode=view
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 310 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

Jim
I use Araldite with no problem to date. It's a great way of storing two small m43rds primes in a bag that is designed for larger format kit.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Jim Ford (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I use Araldite with no problem to date. It's a great way of storing two small m43rds primes in a bag that is designed for larger format kit.
Araldite's great stuff for bonding thermosetting plastics, but the plasticiser used in some (most?) thermo plastics can compromise the bond.

Jim