Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 1st November 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Milford Junction, West Yorkshire

Now for something totally different - no birds, I promise

This location is a blast from the past for me. I lived here in the 1950's and it holds a special place in my memory.

The house to the left was where I lived. My bedroom overlooked the junction. These were railway houses but now are private houses.

This gives an overall view of the junction taken from the Monk Fryston - South Milford Road. The two tracks to the left lead to York and the two tracks to the right lead to the Colliery sidings and the chord to the Leeds - Selby lines. A ladder crossing provides the means of switching trains between routes.

The cripple sidings where wheelsets etc are changed. This is located to the left of the York main line.

A closer view of the cripple siding.

The colliery sidings which lie between the York main line and the chord to the Leeds - Selby line.

A class 66 runs through to the junction off the chord line.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 1st November 2008

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Milford Junction, West Yorkshire

Super set of photos Peter. I am sure railway enthusiasts among the group will love these.I have Emailed the link to my railway loving son-in-law to drool over. Very well done and thank you for the descriptions of the layout and the sidings.
Regards, Keith.
Old 1st November 2008

Thanks Keith. My main problem in posting the images was finding a section to post them into. Perhaps a transport gallery would be a good idea.

Peter

PS: My photobucket link has more info and more photos of this subject. Got a few more to process and upload to photobucket too.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 1st November 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

These make for an excellent set of images Peter, and I have very much enjoyed looking at them and reading the accompanying notes you made. I do find railway photos extremely interesting, and I would hazzard a guess that most 'blokes' have a secret interest in these type of rail areas i.e. points, sidings and examining small layouts.

My favorite image from this set would be a difficult choice between #2, #5 and #6.

#2: I love the dynamic range you've managed to capture in this image. I suspect not, but it looks as though a small and subtle amount of HDR or tone mapping has been applied. Very nice image.

#5: again, there seems to be a greater degree of contrast in this image, and I like the way the track leads you through the image to the carriages shacked up on the sidings.

#6: Of course, the Class 66 in this one capture ones attention immediately, and I found myself trying to get a closer look at the driver!

Smashing set Peter, made all the more interesting by the addition of very interesting notes. Thanks for posting them - do you have more?

EDIT: PS - in the seconds iage you refer to a 'chord line'. Out of curiosity, what is a chord line and where is it in that image Peter?

Old 1st November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
These make for an excellent set of images Peter, and I have very much enjoyed looking at them and reading the accompanying notes you made. I do find railway photos extremely interesting, and I would hazzard a guess that most 'blokes' have a secret interest in these type of rail areas i.e. points, sidings and examining small layouts.

My favorite image from this set would be a difficult choice between #2, #5 and #6.

#2: I love the dynamic range you've managed to capture in this image. I suspect not, but it looks as though a small and subtle amount of HDR or tone mapping has been applied. Very nice image.

#5: again, there seems to be a greater degree of contrast in this image, and I like the way the track leads you through the image to the carriages shacked up on the sidings.

#6: Of course, the Class 66 in this one capture ones attention immediately, and I found myself trying to get a closer look at the driver!

Smashing set Peter, made all the more interesting by the addition of very interesting notes. Thanks for posting them - do you have more?

EDIT: PS - in the seconds iage you refer to a 'chord line'. Out of curiosity, what is a chord line and where is it in that image Peter?
Thanks for your comments John.

Returning to image 2 below:

At the top of the image on the York main there is a bridge crossing the tracks. This bridge carries the Leeds - Selby main lines. The chord line at the junction swings right and joins the Leeds - Selby line, off image but to the right.

In steam days, on a summer Saturday, passenger excursion trains would be contantly passing through the junction. Trains to Bridlington and the Yorkshire coast below Scarborough would pass over this chord line. Excursions to Scarborough and the North would pass over the York main lines.

A station used to exist where these lines diverge and a footbridge spanned the tracks left to right. This was my favourite spotting location. I used to come home black as the ace of spades as one of my pleasures was to stand over the track as a train passed underneath - ooh that smell....

There you go, I told you it brought back wonderful memories

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 1st November 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looks great Peter, looks like a certain track layout I saw the other week?

Regards

peterlittlephotography.com
Old 1st November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich View Post
Looks great Peter, looks like a certain track layout I saw the other week?

Regards
Thanks Peter. Similar but different

Just thought I had to make a change from wildlife shots - still taking them though

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 1st November 2008

Another shot at the junction showing the Central Trains HST service to London Kings Cross using the ladder crossing to reach the Sheffield line from the York Line.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 1st November 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Many thanks Peter for the explanation, this is appreciated. I really enjoy this type of photography coupled with insight, and would love to see any more similar to this that you have.

Old 1st November 2008

Liked 635 Times in 234 Posts

Hi Peter -

Number two and the HST pic for me out of a very good set - thanks for showing them.

I remember the smell too - although not a spotter a friend and I loved the sounds and the scenes of the railway and lines.

Anne has travelled to work over the years on steam, diesel and overhead electric trains.

Have you seen John Betjeman's DVD Metro-Land? It shows the people and places served by London's Metropolitan Line and first steam underground, leafy counties of Bucks, Herts and Middlesex and so much more. Well worth seeing IMO.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 1st November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Many thanks Peter for the explanation, this is appreciated. I really enjoy this type of photography coupled with insight, and would love to see any more similar to this that you have.
Thanks for your comments John. I am pleased that there has been interest in this series and will update the thread later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
Hi Peter -

Number two and the HST pic for me out of a very good set - thanks for showing them.

I remember the smell too - although not a spotter a friend and I loved the sounds and the scenes of the railway and lines.

Anne has travelled to work over the years on steam, diesel and overhead electric trains.

Have you seen John Betjeman's DVD Metro-Land? It shows the people and places served by London's Metropolitan Line and first steam underground, leafy counties of Bucks, Herts and Middlesex and so much more. Well worth seeing IMO.

Regards. Barr1e
Thanks for your comments Barrie. I shall look out for the DVD you recommend as it sounds very interesting. It's such a shame that DSLRs were not invented before. Film cameras were not cheap at the time and I remember being told off in the '60s when I 'borrowed' my fathers camera on a visit to Sowerby Bridge.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 2nd November 2008

The image below was scanned from the Trans Pennine Express map by Network Rail.

The East Coast main Line is Route 8 on the map and the section between Colton Junction towards Doncaster was recently built as a diversion from Selby (Avoiding the swing bridge).
The importance of this route as a diversionary route is obvious. The main traffic flows are now freight. Nearby Gascoigne Wood colliery provides coal for the power stations.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/