Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 10th September 2010
swifthalf

OM Lens To Olympus 4/3 adapter

im thinking of buying some om lenses but whant to buy a good adapter but when i look on ebay there are so many different ones so i guess what im asking is what to buy any help please cheers matt
Old 10th September 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: OM Lens To Olympus 4/3 adapter

All much of a muchness really, just try to get one with a focus confirmation chip as it's all manual with the adapter and this helps.

Old 10th September 2010
swifthalf

ok but what does the confirmation chip do
Old 10th September 2010
pepper

I'm lucky in that I use my Panasonic DMC-L1 for my legacy lenses as for some reason they have focus confirm with manual lenses whereas Olympus Don't!

Having the focus confirm makes it much easier when using modern SLR's as they are nowhere near as good as the older cameras when it comes to manual focusing!
Old 11th September 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifthalf View Post
ok but what does the confirmation chip do
Having the focus confirmation chip on the adapter (which doesn't make any difference in the size of the adapter by the way!) allows you to see the focus confirmation indicator in the cameras viewfinder as well as hear the aduible 'beep' when the image is in focus.

When you use the adapters for legacy lenses everything is manual; aperture, shutter speed and focus. If you can get something to help such as this beep and viewfinder indication - as Tesco's say, every little helps L(

Old 11th September 2010
Alan Clogwyn

Shutter speed isn't manual, unless you use S or M modes, stick it in auto or A mode and you use it just like a proper SLR in A mode.

My adapter was an ebay one from a UK seller, but it's still the same cheap chinese stuff, just shipped from a UK warehouse. On genuine olympus lenses, you lose the ability to close the iris down fully, but soesn't seem to bother third party lenses.

It's made zero difference to me really as I shoot mostly at F11 or bigger, very rarely do I use F16 or smaller.
Old 12th September 2010
swifthalf

ok just won a tamron 70 -210 f1.4;5.6 and a vivitar wide angle 28-49 and a 135 prime photax dont know much about these lenses as this camera is my venture into slr for the first time so this is all new to me but i got all the lenses and a olympus om 10 film slr for 26 pounds the adapter i got was this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1 im thinking if i cant get used to manual iv not spent a fortune i just want a 50 mm now for low light work if anyone has any experiance with the lenses i have got please let me know
Old 21st September 2010
Dave_L

I've bought several Chinese adapters from ebay seller Roxsen - cheap, reasonable quality and quick delivery. Have OM, PK and M42 versions - all OK. Have avoided focus confirm chips as the only one I bought didn't work well and I found it made focussing more difficult.

(As an aside I've just tried out a Soviet Helios 135 tele with my M42 adapter and am getting great shots - lens cost me 5!! - worth a try if you see one?)

David
Old 13th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a 300mm Sunagor OM fit. But I find that I can't focus to infinity, just a couple of hundred yards at best. Its a bit of a pain to be honest.
Is it something to do with the lens, the camera (E420) or the focus-confirm adapter?
Old 13th December 2010
Alan Clogwyn

Does the focus ring actually turn to infinity? could be the rear element jamming against the confirm chip
Old 14th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clogwyn View Post
Does the focus ring actually turn to infinity? could be the rear element jamming against the confirm chip
Yes, the ring goes to infinity on its own, on the adaptor and on the camera. But it won't actually focus on infinity.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 14th December 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Isn't this often down to the thickness of the adapter being wrong.

Off hand I can't remember if it means it's too thick or too thin, but if Pete (Snaarman) chances on this thread he'll probably know.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 14th December 2010
Alan Clogwyn

Yep looks like it'll be this then - too thick of it won't get to infinity, like having a macro extension tube.
Old 14th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clogwyn View Post
Yep looks like it'll be this then - too thick of it won't get to infinity, like having a macro extension tube.
But the focussing ring still goes all the way to infinity with the adaptor on. Would it do that if it was too thick?
Old 14th December 2010

Liked 690 Times in 465 Posts

It could. What the focussing ring does is moves the optical bits of the lens backwards and forwards relatove to the sensor. Lens further forwards, i.e. further from the sensor, means that things nearer the camera are in focus. Infinity focus is when the lens body is at its closest to the camera (or possibly nearly its closest to allow for mechanical tolerances or variations due to temperature). If the adapter is too thick, it means that even when the lens is set as far back as it will go it is not close enough to focus at inifinity.

This could be a defect in the lens - the only way to find this out would be to try it on the body it was designed for, without any adapters. If it gets infinity then, the adapter is too thick. If it doesn't, the lens is faulty.

It's getting late, I hope that makes sense

John