Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Problems with Drive Modes

I have been trying to set both my E-M1 Mkll cameras to the same settings and have come across a problem in setting Anti-Shock, Silent and Hi-Res options.
From all sources, Oly Manual,Wrotniak and Tony Phillips there is a 2 stage process: firstly enable the modes in "Shooting Menu 2 Anti-Shock/Silent", secondly choose which varieties to display in the Button or SCP list using "Custom menu D1.4"
On both cameras all three of these options show as Off and there is no way to switch them on that I can find. To compound this on one camera the Hi-Res, whilst being off in the Shooting Menu is displayed and works whilst on the other camera the Icon for Hi-Res is greyed out when using the front drive button or via the SCP.
What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this please?
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 572 Times in 393 Posts
Re: Problems with Drive Modes

Let's start with the basics - if the cameras are behaving differently, are they at different firmware levels?

John
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts

Just a guess as I don't have mark II, but I find (on classic E-M1) that some menu options only work when I have a M43 lens attached and are disabled when I have a Four Thirds lens attached via an adaptor.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Let's start with the basics - if the cameras are behaving differently, are they at different firmware levels?

John
Thanks John but both set at 2.1.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Just a guess as I don't have mark II, but I find (on classic E-M1) that some menu options only work when I have a M43 lens attached and are disabled when I have a Four Thirds lens attached via an adaptor.
Thanks for the input, I clearly mis-understood the mechanism to enable these modes, altering the parameter on the silent and anti-shock modes effectively switches them on, I was expecting to be able to switch off to on as with so many other menu items!
However, I still cannot get the Hi-Res to work on one camera, the other one will use this mode with any of my Panasonic or Olympus lenses. It is greyed out in the menu bar using either SCP or from the front drive button.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_Devon View Post
However, I still cannot get the Hi-Res to work on one camera, the other one will use this mode with any of my Panasonic or Olympus lenses. It is greyed out in the menu bar using either SCP or from the front drive button.
Shooting Menu 2. Hi res shot. Make sure it isn't turned Off.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
Shooting Menu 2. Hi res shot. Make sure it isn't turned Off.
I have gone into this menu, set delay at 1 sec pressed OK, moved to charge time set 2 sec pressed OK, pressed OK again then pressed menu, greyed out. This is exactly similar to how I have set Hi-Res in the other camera and is active.
I have had the odd blackout with this camera so I am beginning to think it might be defective.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I suggest you completely reset that camera, I bet that makes Hires come back. Then apply your settings, typing them up as you go, so you have a fully documented record of what you have done. Keep checking hires is still there. This should either fix it or pin down what the setting is that is disabling it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
I suggest you completely reset that camera, I bet that makes Hires come back. Then apply your settings, typing them up as you go, so you have a fully documented record of what you have done. Keep checking hires is still there. This should either fix it or pin down what the setting is that is disabling it.
I was afraid that advice would surface! If no one else comes up with anything concrete I will have to spend a spare afternoon following your suggestion. I fear it might be the camera, if it is that will be two afternoons spent re-setting my parameters.
Can I copy the settings in the one that is working to the camera I am having problems with?
Thanks for your suggestion
Allan
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
I was afraid that advice would surface! If no one else comes up with anything concrete I will have to spend a spare afternoon following your suggestion. I fear it might be the camera, if it is that will be two afternoons spent re-setting my parameters.
Can I copy the settings in the one that is working to the camera I am having problems with?
Thanks for your suggestion
Allan
Yes, you can, and that is an excellent idea.
Connect the good camera, run the updater and tell it to save the settings. Note the location and name of the file.
Then close it, connect the bad camera and run it again. Tell it to restore the settings - select the file you just made from the other camera.

Do make sure you use the latest updater, that is v2.1 (only coincidence that it is the same number as the latest firmware). (Or use Olympus Viewer 3 and update the software and then go into the hardware updater.)

It takes me only about 30 minutes to enter every setting from my printed sheet, it doesn't need to take all afternoon. I know this because I also have an E-M1 where you can't save and restore the settings. It really is worth taking the time to document all your settings, and it makes it easy to review them all.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Yes, you can, and that is an excellent idea.
Connect the good camera, run the updater and tell it to save the settings. Note the location and name of the file.
Then close it, connect the bad camera and run it again. Tell it to restore the settings - select the file you just made from the other camera.

Do make sure you use the latest updater, that is v2.1 (only coincidence that it is the same number as the latest firmware). (Or use Olympus Viewer 3 and update the software and then go into the hardware updater.)

It takes me only about 30 minutes to enter every setting from my printed sheet, it doesn't need to take all afternoon. I know this because I also have an E-M1 where you can't save and restore the settings. It really is worth taking the time to document all your settings, and it makes it easy to review them all.
Many thanks for your input; I was actually entering the settings onto a sheet when I noticed the difference between the two cameras and my missing drive options. I will follow your advice and then try to update the "bad" camera
Allan
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sorted I hope? I had "Bracketing" On in "shooting menu 2" although not selected.
I shall press on with recording my settings and apply to both cameras. Thanks to all who have tried to help
Allan
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 572 Times in 393 Posts

Fingers crossed for you that you've got to the bottom of it.

This sort of thing comes up as a side-effect of the complexity of the Oly menu system. It is great that we have a lot of ways to customise a powerful and flexible camera to our liking, and that inevitably leads to a plethora of options. Unfortunately the menu system has grown rather organically, with bits added here and there as they become relevant, and this means that an option buried deep down one leg of the system can affect behaviour in a completely different part. And there is often no clue to the source of the problem.

As has been stated here plenty of times before, what it really needs is a redesign from the ground up by people who are expert in user interface design. Of course, that would screw up those of us who have grown up alongside the system for a while, but would be much better in the medium term (i.e. until we need to repeat the process all over again).

John
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Sorted I hope? I had "Bracketing" On in "shooting menu 2" although not selected.
I shall press on with recording my settings and apply to both cameras. Thanks to all who have tried to help
Allan
That makes perfect sense. Well done finding the solution.

It would be good to have a list of all settings that prevent the use of other settings. I know there are things to do with flash, HDR, bracketing, electronic shutter and so on, but I can't remember them all.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,242 Times in 1,186 Posts
Liked 912 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
...what it really needs is a redesign from the ground up by people who are expert in user interface design. Of course, that would screw up those of us who have grown up alongside the system for a while, but would be much better in the medium term (i.e. until we need to repeat the process all over again)....
Well, yes. But now that you can save and restore your settings to a computer what it needs is a computer application with a good UI to view and edit your settings.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bikie John (3 Weeks Ago)