Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 19th January 2016

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye

I have never owned a proper fisheye lens and deciding to get one, looked over the possibilities. It is for occasional "fun shooting" only and so I want something that is not expensive but good quality. Looking at the reviews on the web, the Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 looked like a good bet but before I buy, I have a few questions because I have never used this type of lens before.

1. That same spec lens is sold by Samyang, Rokinon, Walimex and maybe others. They all look the same and so I assume they are actually the same lens? Or is there a difference?

2. As it is a fully mechanised non-electronic manual lens, I have to set the aperture manually on the lens and focus manually, right?(That sounds like fun after decades of AF). What about the shutter speed? Since MFT cameras are not optically TTL, can the light meter in the camera 'see' what is coming through and set the right shutter speed or is it trial and error? I no longer own a hand held light meter.

3. I am assuming that the EVF will not work without the electronic link. Will the LCD screen show the image field correctly?

I request anyone who owns and/or have used this lens to clear these queries, please. Or anything else that I have to consider before buying.
Old 19th January 2016

Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
Re: Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye

1. Can't comment directly as I don't have the lens, but I understand that to be the case by hearsay.
2. Yes it's all mechanical, no electronics at all. Re. Shutter speed, just set the camera to Aperture Priority and shutter speed will be taken care of. Alternatively use Manual and set the shutter speed yourself. A 7.5 mm lens will have huge depth of field, so it shouldn't be too taxing. Certainly I didn't have to many problems with my Peleng 8mm.
3. EVF will work fine, but obviously will not show the f stop number. Rear screen and EVF broadly show the same thing, so no problem there.

Also, set IS manually for focal length.

Sorry for the brief reply, got to go out now.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following User Says Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (19th January 2016)
Old 19th January 2016

Liked 1,382 Times in 836 Posts

1) Samyang and Rokinon are the same, don't know about the other you mention.
2) Yes aperture and focus are manual, there's no electrical contacts. Shutter is a property of the camera. Camera's light meter sees what's presented by the lens so set to A or M.
3) EVF and LCD both work normal, and the histogram too.

Get one, great lens.

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
Old 19th January 2016

Thanks people. If Aperture Priority works, then it's great. I usually work with A and so it is merely a metter of twisting the aperture ring on the lens instead f the little dial on the camera. That leaves only manual focus, which I often use anyway with the AF lenses for macro etc so no problem.

I knew that manual lenses were no problem with mirried DSLRs but was uncertain what would happen if there was no direct TTL optical pathway.

One other question. Does the Samayang (or Rokinon) 7.5mm lens come with robust front and rear lens caps? The former is particularly important to protect the domed front element in a fisheye lens. They do not mention the caps in the adverts.
Old 19th January 2016

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Yes I own a Rokinon and the difference is merely in the badging. Aperture priority works a treat allowing you to vary EV as normal, but TTL metering means the image is usually correctly exposed. Set to f5.6 or thereabouts the lens is a little gem, for which I paid just over 100 IIRC. All you need to do is ensure you keep your fingers out of shot, at close to 180 degree FoV across the diagonal that's not always easy!

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
The Following User Says Thank You to byegad For This Useful Post:
Old 19th January 2016
Senior

Liked 99 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
One other question. Does the Samayang (or Rokinon) 7.5mm lens come with robust front and rear lens caps? The former is particularly important to protect the domed front element in a fisheye lens. They do not mention the caps in the adverts.
Yes, the lens front and rear caps are pretty robust, and the lens hood is fixed (non removable) which also helps to protect the lens.

Visit my website http://dryplaid.zenfolio.com/

Olympus: E-M1 + HLD-7 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaw For This Useful Post:
Old 19th January 2016

Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts

Its a fine lens sharp as a pin and the depth of field covers an awful long way even at F3.5. so focusing is not a lot of a problem. It certainly gives a whole differant look to your pictures. Give it a goQ I doubt if you will regret it.
The Following User Says Thank You to yorky For This Useful Post:
Old 19th January 2016

You guys are terrible!! I liked you r reviews so much that I am going to get the silver Samyang quietly next week. The wife has been keeping tabs on my recent purchases and moaning and threatening; so I cannot order it on-line. I'll have to physically go and buy it locally.
Old 20th January 2016

Liked 1,382 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
You guys are terrible!! ... The wife has been keeping tabs on my recent purchases and moaning and threatening; so I cannot order it on-line. I'll have to physically go and buy it locally.
Order from www.manup.com -> great prices, plus they arrange delivery when the wife is out -> the company uses some form of advanced tracking device.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Minniesmum (20th January 2016)
Old 20th January 2016

With manual lenses like this without an electronic link, will other camera based functions like metering options, white balance setting, exposure compensation etc work?
Old 20th January 2016

Liked 120 Times in 51 Posts

Everything works normally, except there is no AF. Literally attach it, set focus to just shy of infinity and shoot away. I fully understand your concern as I was the same but I love mine

I'm sure you won't refer it ( unless your wife finds out )
The Following User Says Thank You to damianmkv For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (21st January 2016)
Old 20th January 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,226 Times in 727 Posts

It works rather well for what it is

There are some more in my gallery

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 22nd January 2016

This arrived today (I ordered from Amazon BTW because it was on Prime and I could not find a silver one elsewhere quickly...and oh, the wife had a meeting and was not at home when it arrived ). Great little item. Nice, sturdy build quality and great optics. I fitted it to my OMD EM5 and took some 'alien' images of my poor, uncomplaining father-in-law.

I discovered that with the diffusing panel in place and the softbox attached, the Nissin i40 flash provides practically full frame coverage with very little light fall off at the corners.

Good quality lens caps but I was not keen on the cloth carry bag provided. Fortunately, I had my own little neoprene lens case and it was a perfect fit.

Will try a bit more funny pics over the weekend, including deliberately including my own body parts in the frame!