Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 18th May 2019

Liked 1,462 Times in 717 Posts
Gmail Tracks Your Purchase History

If like me you use gmail as your email provider this latest revelation may be of interest.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/17/goog...delete-it.html

If you click on the link halfway down the article it will take you to your account

I am guessing that other providers do the same but have not been found out yet.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Jax (18th May 2019)
Old 18th May 2019

Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,272 Posts
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,081 Posts
Re: Gmail Tracks Your Purchase History

Hmmm not sure I'm over happy with that, although I've not bought much apparently.
This should be made more obvious and definitely easier to turn off.
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (18th May 2019)
Old 18th May 2019

Liked 188 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Hmmm not sure I'm over happy with that, although I've not bought much apparently.
This should be made more obvious and definitely easier to turn off.
From the moment anyone buys a computer, pays an ISP to access the internet, their life, activities, likes and dislikes, personal information is an open book.

Gmail is no different from Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Ebay or any other company providing online services. Every one of them harvests as much personal, private information about your activities as technology permits.

How can we really be certain that by "turning off" these options we are not simply turning off our visible access to them and they don't continue to harvest the information anyway ?

The motto is, give as little personal information out online as is humanly possible, use a VPN and think twice before getting involved in any form of Social Media. Big Brother is alive and well and here to stay !

Jax
Old 18th May 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

Is anyone really surprised by this? After all, life is now one big market place with intense competition for our or $. Perhaps more worrying is the failure of security on so-called private programs such as WhatsApp. On the other hand, do we really want to allow too much anonymity for terrorists and criminals? Perhaps the biggest concern for the ordinary man (sorry, person) on the Web is the potential manipulation of elections by political parties or large corporations.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (20th May 2019), Jax (20th May 2019), TimP (18th May 2019)
Old 18th May 2019

Liked 651 Times in 440 Posts

To follow on about the WhatsApp hack, again, are we surprised? It’s going to happen more and more as criminals realise they don’t even have to leave the house to commit crime.
Election tampering must surely be going on already, just look at the US for that. Once it goes online then the possibilities are endless, although even the paper system can get abused apparently, although having been involved in aspects of postal voting I can’t see how.
Everyone espouses the benefits (cost savings mainly!) of everything online but I feel we have a big shock coming when some unforeseen (or otherwise) disaster happens.
Zuiko (18th May 2019)
Old 18th May 2019

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,407 Posts
Liked 1,392 Times in 889 Posts

I make sure I am signed out of google and ebay whenever I have finished doing what I want with them. I use a thrid party email app and an email account that is not my gmail or microsoft email account as my everyday email. This is easy on the PC. In fact I even log into a local PC account and rarely log into my microsoft account. Things are not as easy on an android phone as you are always logged into google but I rarely buy things on my phone through my google account.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 19th May 2019

Liked 3,103 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
If you click on the link halfway down the article it will take you to your account:

I did and it has no records. I use my Outlook account for such matters.

Harold
Old 19th May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I did and it has no records. I use my Outlook account for such matters.

Harold
Do you think Microsoft doesn't track you?

My Flickr
Old 19th May 2019

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Do you think Microsoft doesn't track you?
I would say that Microsoft is a far more reputable organisation than most of its competitors.

Microsoft's Exchange email server is a heavyweight commercial service which users (including myself) subscribe to. Cost is currently around 40 per year per account with some big businesses having many thousands of such accounts. I very much doubt that Microsoft would want to compromise its position in this commercial market by divulging buying habits to third parties, and I have certainly never experienced any such breaches.

Using a "free" email account, web browser or storage provided by a business which makes its money by providing a leading Search Engine is surely asking for trouble? Likewise using any other online marketplace for "free" storage or indeed any other "free" service.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jax (20th May 2019)
Old 19th May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I would say that Microsoft is a far more reputable organisation than most of its competitors.

Microsoft's Exchange email server is a heavyweight commercial service which users (including myself) subscribe to. Cost is currently around 40 per year per account with some big businesses having many thousands of such accounts. I very much doubt that Microsoft would want to compromise its position in this commercial market by divulging buying habits to third parties, and I have certainly never experienced any such breaches.

Using a "free" email account, web browser or storage provided by a business which makes its money by providing a leading Search Engine is surely asking for trouble? Likewise using any other online marketplace for "free" storage or indeed any other "free" service.
I have been using Gmail since its initial launch back in 2004 and it has not done me any harm. I use it knowing the risks, so far so good. So 15 x 40 = 600 I have saved to spend on other essential Oly gear

I totally understand nothing is free but I certainly don't have your faith in Microsoft or any service provider whatever they claim or charge. They are all looking to make a profit and if they don't then they deserve to go bust!

My Flickr
Old 19th May 2019

Quote:
I have been using Gmail since its initial launch back in 2004 and it has not done me any harm. I use it knowing the risks, so far so good. So 15 x 40 = 600 I have saved to spend on other essential Oly gear

I totally understand nothing is free but I certainly don't have your faith in Microsoft or any service provider whatever they claim or charge. They are all looking to make a profit and if they don't then they deserve to go bust!
Exchange is a brilliant service and well worth the money in my view. As a business cost it is negligible especially when compared with Adobe CC at about 50 per month.

I don't trust any organisation 100% but I would rate Microsoft much higher than certain search engine providers and online marketplaces.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (20th May 2019), Jax (20th May 2019)
Old 19th May 2019

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

We are monitored every way possible. At least around here there are no smart toilets
I see some people taping over the laptop camera not thinking that visual is the least threatening, much worse is listening and keyboard record. But yes to think that a lot of people have android phones then there's no privacy anyways - google listens you, tracks your searches, purchases and even where you are - google maps has an automatic places setting aswell. I remember there was issues with Amazon Alexa last year - oh they have updated the news https://nypost.com/2019/04/11/amazon...alexa-devices/
A friend of mine joked once that the world is moving this way that when you have a hangover and go to the toilet in the morning, the toilet analyzes what your're dumping and sends the information to the fridge, that cancels the order for beer and beef, instead of that orders some fruits, vegetables and fresh juice. Now if to add some extra to there it would go so that as the content in the toilet was not normal, you get automatically booked a visit to the doctor and when you get dressed to go to the work, the car drives to the hospital instead of office where a bot nurse examines you and makes day worth of different tests trying to find out what's wrong with you.
wornish (20th May 2019)
Old 20th May 2019

More news this morning on Google. It seems they have now blocked Huawei from getting updates to Gmail and google maps!

https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/goog...-a4146106.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48330310

What does that mean for existing users of the P20 and P30 phones?

Does anyone on here use them and Gmail?

My Flickr
Old 20th May 2019

Quote:
More news this morning on Google. It seems they have now blocked Huawei from getting updates to Gmail and google maps!

https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/goog...-a4146106.html

What does that mean for existing users of the P20 and P30 phones?

Does anyone on here use them and Gmail?
I don't know but our son had a P20 for a while and was unable to use some banking apps. He was also unable to access his employers scheduling system (Coop) owing to security problems. This did not affect other Android phones.

The camera on the P20 was impressive but the microphone failed after about three months and it was going to take Huawei at least three weeks to fix it. Curry's offered a full refund so he bought an iPhone-X which works perfectly with the Coop system and banking apps.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 20th May 2019

Liked 188 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by throt View Post
A friend of mine joked once that the world is moving this way that when you have a hangover and go to the toilet in the morning, the toilet analyzes what your're dumping and sends the information to the fridge, that cancels the order for beer and beef, instead of that orders some fruits, vegetables and fresh juice. Now if to add some extra to there it would go so that as the content in the toilet was not normal, you get automatically booked a visit to the doctor and when you get dressed to go to the work, the car drives to the hospital instead of office where a bot nurse examines you and makes day worth of different tests trying to find out what's wrong with you.
Such a terrible waste of Smart Technology when all that was needed was a few cups of strong black coffee !

Jax