Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 31st August 2015

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
Resolution.

A bit of a tale here but with a happy ending. I have always been very happy with the IQ of all of my Olympus cameras over the years. However just before I sent my EM-1 off for repair I visited Haddon Hall near Bakewell in Derbyshire. It was a rare bright sunny day and I took loads of shots both inside and out in various modes, iAuto, A.P., monochrome, vintage et al. It is a beautiful property set in magnificent grounds and I really wanted to capture the atmosphere and architecture. After about twenty minutes I glanced at the info screen to find that I'd inadvertently set the W.B. to "Underwater" mode I reset it and continued around the property and I have to say I was quite miffed with myself.
When I got home I uploaded my pictures to my PC and quite frankly I was horrified with the results which in most cases looked soft and almost smudgy. My wife described them as "Very digitalized". I rechecked the camera settings and all seemed as it should be and then it was literally packed off to Portugal. The following weekend I went to North Wales and took my Wife's Nikon D7000 with me as she wanted to get used to her Stylus SH2. Despite having the Nikon for over two years this was the first time I'd used it myself for a days shooting. When I viewed my efforts on my father's newish laptop I was completely blown away by the IQ. In the past I'd always preferred the results from my Olympus but these were outstanding in their sharpness and clarity. Oh dear what was I doing wrong with my EM-1. When I got home I uploaded the Nikon shots to my PC and was looking forward to a treat on my 23" 1080P full HDMI TV monitor. What I did see however were soft and digitalized, not the pin sharp images I seen on my father's laptop. What was going on? I then started to delve into the advanced display settings of my PC which I have very recently upgraded from Windows 7 64bit to Windows 10 64 bit. There I found the answer to my awful pictures. The screen resolution had defaulted to a lower setting during the upgrade and I hadn't noticed this during everyday use. I set the resolution to the highest available at 2560 x 1440 and hey presto the dreadfully digitalized pictures were all pin sharp and beautiful again including those taken at Haddon Hall.
So if you make major changes to your operating system check to make sure the settings you were previously satisfied with haven't changed unexpectedly.

N.B. The film " Princess Bride" was filmed at Haddon Hall and in the surrounding area as was episode one and two of the new "Time Crashers" series with Tony Robinson on Channel 4.

***Steve***

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paullus For This Useful Post:
bassman (31st August 2015), CarolE (31st August 2015), OM USer (1st September 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
CarolE (31st August 2015), Greytop (31st August 2015), Johnheatingman (31st August 2015)