Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 3rd February 2015

Liked 664 Times in 282 Posts
Fast access backpack

I'm after a different backpack. Condition not too important.

Features needed:
2 compartments (one for personal gear, one for camera stuff)
Tripod strap
Fast access to the camera without taking the sack off completely.

Something like the Lowepro Primus Minimus AW (here) but I've seen some dodgy reviews of that model.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 3rd February 2015

Liked 250 Times in 127 Posts
Re: Fast access backpack

John

I have had a Lowepro Slingshot 200 for years and love it. It's nearly as snug as a rucksack but I can swivel it around and access the camer very quickly. Later versions may have a tripod strap. Cannot speak too highly of Lowepro customer service, a zip went after 5-6 years of service and the bag was replaced FOC. Luckily, I still had proof of purchase.

Good luck in your search

David
Old 3rd February 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i will watch this thread intently. I searched for ages and failed. I found the focus was so much on the camera that the personal compartments were always too small. In the end I gave up on the easy access and used my normal rucksack (which has a surprisingly useful bottom part which easily zips open) with this insert. My rucksack isnt padded hence the insert but that makes it quick to rummage about in.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Ciesta...item3a6d18fe47

It was a compromise but heh, my kids are older now so may be time to look again!
The Following User Says Thank You to spn0923 For This Useful Post:
Willom (8th February 2015)
Old 3rd February 2015

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,407 Posts
Liked 1,391 Times in 889 Posts

John, if you've won the pools or the lottery you may wish to consider MindShift Gear. They do a range of backpacks where the bottom half can be rotated about your waist for front access to your camera equipment.

Ian announced one of the models here on the forum.

Prices from £182 to £450.

I just googled "MindShift Gear" and came up with a link to "SnapperStuff"; other search engines and retailers are available.
Old 3rd February 2015

OM - Cheers, they look great but a lot more than I'm prepared to pay.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

Flickr gallery
Old 3rd February 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there John!

Have you had a look at a Lowepro fastback 250?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowepro-Fa...item4d2b835e46

I have one, and it is big enough for a camera and a few lenses, with hat, gloves drink and waterproof in the top section, and an emergency fleece neatly folded in the lap-top section. I haven't tried it yet but there is a flap over the camera section which extends out and I think is designed to fit your tripod in across the back of the rucksack. Hopefully I will be able to give this a good test in the next few days.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 3rd February 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi again!

I forgot to add that they can go very cheaply on the above auction site second hand.

Another option although I don't know if you can still get them is the Olympus E-System back-pack which SRS used to sell at a very reasonable price.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 3rd February 2015

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Hi
I have an underused and as new red/black Lowepro Fastpack 350 if it's of interest?!

OM-1n with 28, 50, 100 & T32, E-10 (now deceased), E-1, E-3, EOS1ds mk2 with L glass, Fujifilm X100T
Old 3rd February 2015

Thanks for the replies. I've had a PM about a Fastpack 350 which is in progress and wil respond to MJ0RZD

I don't really want to spend much as I've got a tatty Lowepro Trekker It's a bit awkward, but it works in an annoying sort of way so this upgrade is a bit of a luxury I suppose, or rather my wife supposes

Flickr gallery
Old 4th February 2015

Thanks for the responses all, I'm sorted now with a LowePro 350, so we'll see how I get on.

It doess looks like that for systems like m4/3 there isn't really an economical system that takes advantage of the smaller size with a smaller camera compartment and a larger personal effects one.

Flickr gallery
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Too late now, but I've been very pleased with the Benro CW200 Cool Walker Backpack. See my review here on Amazon:

Benro CW200 Cool Walker Backpack for Camera - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo Benro CW200 Cool Walker Backpack for Camera - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

It's probably bigger than most want for M4/3 gear, but the top compartment is surprisingly roomy, and the harness so good, you don't really notice the weight. The importer is fairly useless, so they aren't getting the exposure they should. Well worth a look, and different from the usual stuff. The smaller CW100 may be better for some.

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Old 6th February 2015

The Backpack arrived today - thanks Bengeo. In perfect condition and superbly packaged.

The camera compartment is way too big for an E_M5 with even a big lens attached, but I can adapt the space with foam+gaffer tape to accommodate a couple of lenses so I'll have fast access to camera + a lens or two. Similarly I'll need a reorg of the lens storage space to cater for the tiny m4/3 lenses like the 45mm and the Samyang fisheye.

A lot of bits & bobs I was storing in the top compartment will now fit in the base, so I reckon I can get everything I use photographically in the bottom compartments, leaving the top for walking/climbing stuff.

There's no tripod straps, but my little lightweight travelling thing will sling from a couple of straps at the bottom which are meant for holding the front flap down.

Flickr gallery
Old 8th February 2015

Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
Thanks for the responses all, I'm sorted now with a LowePro 350, so we'll see how I get on.

It doess looks like that for systems like m4/3 there isn't really an economical system that takes advantage of the smaller size with a smaller camera compartment and a larger personal effects one.
I've been look for something similar myself since before christmas. Totally agree all the backpacks seem to be aimed at full frame users, rather than CSC users.

Again, as said, they almost look too much like camera bags or should I say they look like a camera bag modified to be a backpack ... very few of then look like proper backpacks.

I have found one I do like, but it is pricey

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-m...kpack/p1552583

But then again, compared to the price of an E-M1, the 12-40 and 40-150 pros .....

I really need to measure up and work out exactly what size I need first.

E-620, 12-40 , 40-150 f4-5.6,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68406149@N08/
Old 8th February 2015

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjward View Post
I've been look for something similar myself since before christmas. Totally agree all the backpacks seem to be aimed at full frame users, rather than CSC users.

Again, as said, they almost look too much like camera bags or should I say they look like a camera bag modified to be a backpack ... very few of then look like proper backpacks.

But then again, compared to the price of an E-M1, the 12-40 and 40-150 pros .....

That's one I lusted after Marty, but it's not small, and still obviously a camera bag. The concept is the same as the original Kata 3N1 20 which I still have, and works very well. Mine wasn't that comfortable in backpack mode, but the extra width of this one should help. The Manfrotto Advanced Tri Backpack Medium is the latest equivalent of mine, and would be plenty bit enough for most, but it's a horrid, boxy-looking thing, and sticks out a long way with room for a tablet. I was close to buying the Pro Light 3N1-25 above, but then found the Benro CW200 for half the price, and prefer it with some internal mods. The photos show a grey one, but the black one is actually what you get, and looks less camera-baggy than many. It's a very clean shape, and less annoying in crowded shops/places.

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Old 8th February 2015

Liked 430 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjward View Post

Have you thought about using a Tenba BYOB10 inside a conventional backpack. This handy piece of kit accomodates EM-1, 12-40, 60macro & 40-150 Pro (with hood & collar) + spare batteries etc. I use it on its own when I'm going on car journeys with my camera. There are also size variants = BYOB7 & BYOB13.

WEX is one of the 2 resellers in this country see:-
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-t...nsert/p1560197