Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 14th December 2010

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts
Re: E-5 Review in this week's AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
No, we've got excellent aircraft that fit (the lenses) and the Special Boat Service (the Pens), alas it's the rest of the cast we lack.

One thing about Olympus, they never do anything by halves, couple of years back there were cameras aimed at every segment of the market, a plethora of 4xx/5xx/6xx models. Can't help but wonder though just how much work it would be to make/market a 630 with the improvements in image processing/alias filter from the E-3.

Still Morgan don't make that many people carriers and Rolls Royce are not that well known for their town hatchbacks. Maybe being good at something counts.

Nick
And aircraft jet engines.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 14th December 2010

I would like to see a bit more advertising of the E5. There seems to be almost nothing out there with one magazine showing it as extreme (British mag). There are obviously others but take longer to get to our shops. Olympus Australia even dropped the NEW seal on its home page about a month ago. I hope they can boost production to keep up with a seemingly stronger demand for it & hopefully realise, not everybody is ready to go to a mirrorless camera yet, nor can they stretch the budget for the E5. I'm sure an E630 would sell with later specs (Truepic V+) & video. Maybe there is something around the corner to surprise (or delight) us.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 20th December 2010

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

I read the review and having now digested it (no not eaten it , read though a few times more ) it really is quite a positive piece. I'm sure whether I'm looking forward to the impending Dpr review or not, it will certainly be interesting with Pentax having just received a big pat on the back for the K-5, justly so I suspect too.
I wonder whether there are a few ounces of sympathy creeping out of the woodwork with these reviewers where Olympus and the E-5 is concerned, perhaps they are a little sad that Olympus are considering partially stepping out of the D-SLR frame (at least at the entry level). Having said that I really do believe that it deserves the positive reviews it is getting.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 20th December 2010
emirpprime

This seems like a bone of contention with at least one shop. On Sunday I was in a LCE branch that has always been a big Oly supporter chatting to the staff. He said they feel really let down with the level of advertising. They like the camera, but are selling barely any. They are always hosting demo days, and half of the shop frontage is 4/3 gear - but without Oly putting in some effort in it is a lost cause. Sales are apparently very very slow while the E-3 flew of the shelves, and so is all the m4/3 stuff. Apparently he heard from the rep that Oly nearly didn't launch it which is why there isn't much push behind it.

Not the way to sell a camera - but hopefully with a few positive reviews they will get a boost.
Old 20th December 2010

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
This seems like a bone of contention with at least one shop. On Sunday I was in a LCE branch that has always been a big Oly supporter chatting to the staff. He said they feel really let down with the level of advertising. They like the camera, but are selling barely any.
SRS told me last week that they are selling really well!

Jim
Old 21st December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
I read the review and having now digested it (no not eaten it , read though a few times more ) it really is quite a positive piece. I'm (not?) sure whether I'm looking forward to the impending Dpr review or not, it will certainly be interesting with Pentax having just received a big pat on the back for the K-5, justly so I suspect too.
I wonder whether there are a few ounces of sympathy creeping out of the woodwork with these reviewers where Olympus and the E-5 is concerned, perhaps they are a little sad that Olympus are considering partially stepping out of the D-SLR frame (at least at the entry level). Having said that I really do believe that it deserves the positive reviews it is getting.
I certainly hope there is more positive reviews to come & I hope you don't get indigestion when DPReview does theirs . I am disappointed there isn't more advertising, but then Olympus might not want to shout about the E5 (just letting the Oly users find it & buy) maybe because they have something more up their sleeves for next year. If they have a similar (or better) spec micro 4/3s coming soon, then I guess they want to really show that off to the world instead. I'm just speculating here.