Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL1

Olympus Pen E-PL1 The, even smaller, more affordable and easier to use Pen from Olympus.

Old 9th December 2010

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Getting started?

Decided to get the E-PL1 for "the better half" for Christmas - having agonised over whether to go for E-P1's around but with the cah back anjd the travel kit offer was pretty reasonable.

So any tips that I should give her as she gets started with this nice little bit of kit? And will I be extremely envious of the picture quality compared to my E-510?

I should also disclose that I think I am getting an IOU from her for an E-5.... But am trying to see a) if a potential US trip in May is going to come off and b) can I wait that long....
Old 9th December 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Getting started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickben View Post
Decided to get the E-PL1 for "the better half" for Christmas - having agonised over whether to go for E-P1's around but with the cah back anjd the travel kit offer was pretty reasonable.

So any tips that I should give her as she gets started with this nice little bit of kit? And will I be extremely envious of the picture quality compared to my E-510?

I should also disclose that I think I am getting an IOU from her for an E-5.... But am trying to see a) if a potential US trip in May is going to come off and b) can I wait that long....
First of all - good choice - yes you may be a little envious, but not massively, I dont know what the quality of the 510 is like, but I can expect the ISO will perform better on the e-pl1 (it seams to be better than my e-30)

Only tip I can give is in the menus you can switch the auto mode to use the easy guide mode for quick point and shoots and you can switch the manual modes to use the super control panel that your used to on your 510 for more control.

Actually there a few ways you can setup the menus, but thats the way I have mine and find it very helpful.

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
The Following User Says Thank You to stevednp3 For This Useful Post:
quickben (10th December 2010)
Old 9th December 2010

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickben View Post
Decided to get the E-PL1 ... And will I be extremely envious of the picture quality compared to my E-510?...
I very much doubt it.
I found my wife's e-600 (similar sensor/processing to Pens) didn't take 'better' photos than my e-410 ... but it is easier to take great photos and does so many more things well.
One thing : the white balance of her camera promted me to adjust the WB of both cameras for the better!
You may find yourself appreciating the tricks the e-pL1 does, or preferring the ease of using the e-510.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulfric M Douglas For This Useful Post:
quickben (10th December 2010)
Old 10th December 2010

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
First of all - good choice - yes you may be a little envious, but not massively, I dont know what the quality of the 510 is like, but I can expect the ISO will perform better on the e-pl1 (it seams to be better than my e-30)

Only tip I can give is in the menus you can switch the auto mode to use the easy guide mode for quick point and shoots and you can switch the manual modes to use the super control panel that your used to on your 510 for more control.

Actually there a few ways you can setup the menus, but thats the way I have mine and find it very helpful.
Thanks for the comments - so I will have something to keep me busy on Christmas Day. Mind you with all the goodness on the E-5 forum, I have a feeling I may succumb somewhat earlier. In which case will be setting up 2 new cameras on Christmas Day

Off to Manchester tomorrow so will be taking a look to see if any places have E-5 in stock and may give it a heft.

Then we will see who takes better photos - her or me. Mind you if I appear in hers, will be definitely need more pp
Old 10th December 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

You might want to assign something other than video mode to the video button (minne now calls up a bracketted sequence for quick hdr), it's very easy to knock and you end up shooting unexpected movies.

You can set up a grid on the display screen - great for horizontal/vertical alignment.

Belkin do a screen protector/hood/shade of the right size, I find this useful.

Buy her a vf-2, you know you'll want it.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk