Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 26th September 2012

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,080 Posts
Re: Professional photography

Since Adam asked for this advice back in May last year, it would be interesting to hear from him to see what has eventuated.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 26th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Since Adam asked for this advice back in May last year, it would be interesting to hear from him to see what has eventuated.
Adam last posted here in January.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th September 2012

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

John,
I come to this from the complete opposite end of the spectrum to you.

I am a newcomer to photography in general, for most of that time I have been dabbling with microstock.

I realise that makes me a bit of a pariah but I genuinely enjoy the challenge of taking a picture that is technically good enough and then the intellectual challenge of working out what might actually sell.

By doing this I have been exposed to other's photography and, hopefully, my eyes have been opened to the more artistic side of this great pastime.

You take your fun where you can find it,if it makes a few quid as well then bonus!

I would not want to pay the mortgage with photography but a meaningful top up is certainly doable.
Old 27th September 2012

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Adam last posted here in January.
Blimey I hadn't realised that.

The outcome would be interesting.

I suspect it wouldn't be positive, the "pro's" who have shared have detailed the hard work and skill required to make a proper living.
Old 27th September 2012

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Well I never saw this thread the first time or I would have given my normal reply.

Making a living from photography in the people sector is 10% photographic skill and 90% marketing skill.

Many a skilled photgrapher has gone to the wall while a average one has flourished.

If you have ever seen a successful Pros's work and thought it was mediocre and I can do better than that, then see the above.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 27th September 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I enjoyed the replies and advice given here, thanks folks.
Old 27th September 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsyrm View Post
... I was good at it and getting commisions locally and wider (weekends and evenings) but as has been said not earning enough to support mortgage/family etc.

I gave it up because I found that for several years I never took a camera out unless there was money involved, I lost my hobby and my mojo in a oner. Truthfully, good photos, were few and far between, standard setups guaranteed to work took over, I was no longer good at my craft just a good exponent of some tried and tested workflows and never enjoyed the challenge. I could possibly have developed the part time business into full time but decided that the whole reason I enjoyed my hobby was exactly that it was a hobby which challenged me artistically and gave me somewhere to escape to. .

There is so much GREAT EXPERIENCE and ADVICE here !

I wonder what you have decided to do Adam ?

I have a few friends you recently got the "well, Thanks for all your hard work, late nights to 11pm no overtime paid ... BUT ... we are soo sorry we have to let you go ..."

they too, were in the dilemma of "go pro Togging" ... I said, "amazing but the real MONEY is in gardening (tidy up and mow green stuff and take away cuttings ; cleaning patio & drive (Pressure Washing) and supply grit & sand for winter pavements in October ; for the Elders - in certain Places ... large homes or posh homes in nice places ... easy to identify

they are doing all this and Togging too - but find the Togging falling off and the other home help increasing - but it pays the bills
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 27th September 2012

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
There is so much GREAT EXPERIENCE and ADVICE here !

I wonder what you have decided to do Adam ?

I have a few friends you recently got the "well, Thanks for all your hard work, late nights to 11pm no overtime paid ... BUT ... we are soo sorry we have to let you go ..."

they too, were in the dilemma of "go pro Togging" ... I said, "amazing but the real MONEY is in gardening (tidy up and mow green stuff and take away cuttings ; cleaning patio & drive (Pressure Washing) and supply grit & sand for winter pavements in October ; for the Elders - in certain Places ... large homes or posh homes in nice places ... easy to identify

they are doing all this and Togging too - but find the Togging falling off and the other home help increasing - but it pays the bills
The other problem with turning a hobby into your living, is that it now becomes work & work sometimes becomes "that 4 letter" word. I learnt violin making & now repair, set-up new imported instruments (others make instruments for a smaller, more expensive market) & (eventually) do all the paper work. It has now become work! Yes, it is enjoyable being able to work at my pace & when I want but it still isn't all enjoyable fun as the less enjoyable stuff comes in too. Photography would still have the same issues.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).