Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 11th June 2012
SteelD

Re: A few questions on the OM-D, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
Is the camera's metering TTL?
Hi Loup

I see that this has already been answered but note that this is your first digital. Like lots of advances, when something becomes commonplace, nobody promotes it as a reason to buy their brand any more. TTL was something new when many cameras had a selenium or cadmium sulphide light metering cell on the body of their camera so, as it was a more accurate form of metering, TTL was something to shout about. Earlier cameras had no metering at all and you had to use a separate meter or guess the exposure using something like the sunny 16 rule.

Nowadays, I don't think that there are any non-TTL cameras made. TTL metering also went from an average reading across the viewfinder scene through to centre-weighted and then onto matrix metering where clever software algorithms in the camera attempt to guess what type of scene you are attempting to photograph and give you an optimum exposure. Matrix metering might be mentioned in the specs these days but manufacturers now try to outdo each other with the number of segments or zones in the matrix. These days, accurate exposure measurement is taken for granted and nobody shouts about TTL because everybody has TTL metering. (It reminds me of some cars that had a 5sp badge on the back because they had 5-speed gearboxes - we don't see that any more as I'm not sure if any new car has less than 5 speeds (gears) in their gearboxes.)

Polarising filters may sometimes affect the metering and may also affect the autofocus if the wrong type of polariser is selected. Polarisers used to be of a type called linear but most autofocus systems require the circular type of polariser. Hope that gives you a little more background.
Old 12th June 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Re: A few questions on the OM-D, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelD View Post
Hi Loup

I see that this has already been answered but note that this is your first digital.
No, the OM-D is my first digital 'SLR' - or more correctly my first digital camera with an interchangeable lens system. After selling my old Canon EOS10 in 2003, I bought the Minolta Dimage A1 just as it came onto the market. A few years later I swapped it for a Canon G9 which I still have.