Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 12th August 2018

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Metal lens cap for the nocticron?

Following up from my previous post about Olympus 45mm f1.2 PRO vs PanLeica 42.5mm f1.2 Noctricron, I made the decision to go for the latter and have ordered it from Wex on a 12-month interest free finance (but almost certainly will settle-up in 3 or 4 months). The decision was made following web check for comparative sample images, particularly portraits and other human pictures.

One other question. The front part of the Nocticron's design is similar to Olympus 75mm f1.8; in both cases this is to facilitate the way the hood fits over the lens front. Olympus used this design to produce a metal lens cap for the 75mm which I bought, being a sucker for such unnecessary but nice-looking spares .

I am asking if there is a similar lens cap available for the Nocticron? Panasonic themselves don't make one AFAIK, but I wondered if JJC or one of the other independents did?
Old 12th August 2018

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Re: Metal lens cap for the nocticron?

Hi,

I bought the Panasonic 42.5 f1.2 a couple of years ago and it came with a metal, parallel hood with thumb screw attachment.

Compared to the more usual twist and click attacment, the screw is a bit of a palava.

Chris

Edit > I may have misread the oringinal, which is about a metal lens cap? Apologies if so.
Old 12th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
Edit > I may have misread the oringinal, which is about a metal lens cap? Apologies if so.
That's right. Appropriate lens hoods are always standard with all Panasonic and PanLeica lenses. My query was about the front lens cap; I am not a big fan of the 'clip-on' lens caps, whether they are Olympus or Panasonic.

Since there is a certain similarity between the front ends of Olympus 75mm f1.8 and PanLeica 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron, I wondered if there was a non-standard push-on metal cap available for the latter, as it is with the former.
Old 12th August 2018

Thanked 1,115 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,450 Times in 726 Posts

In all seriousness... many years ago in a similar situation I found a metal lid from a jar that was a very close fit. Used a lens cloth to make it fit, glued it into position and trimmed off the excess. Even though it looked crap, the price was right and it worked a treat.

I should add that it was a film SLR in the 60's and I was in the Far East.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 17th August 2018

I found a genuine black Leica A68 plastic lens cap on E-bay from a seller with good rating. The pics looked good and so I shelled out the 15 and am keeping my toes crossed. I think I'm nuts.