Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 1st June 2017

Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
M.Zuiko 7-14mm Adaptor and Filters

I've tried searching the forum regarding this topic, but didn't seem to have any luck so...

Background: I'm looking to get into landscape photography, so want to look at purchasing a filter system for future use. This will be my first purchase of filters so don't have any previous experience.

I'm looking for a "beginners" set up which I could gradually add to as I become more familiar and comfortable with different filters. I would prefer a lightweight and less bulky set up (so 100mm over the 150mm). Looking to purchase some kind of combination, just struggling to decide between which.

My struggle between:

- Adaptors:
  • Custom 3D printed adaptor
  • Phil Norton Filter adaptor
  • Lee Filter Adaptor
  • Nisi V5 Pro 100mm Filter

- Filters:
  • Lee 100mm system
  • Haida 100mm system
  • Formatt-Hitech system

How much difference in quality is there between the brands? or does each brand have a varied range of filter qualities?

Would be helpful if some more experienced members could share some insight into the equipment/brand they use and why.

Thanks in advance!
Old 1st June 2017

Thanked 1,246 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts
Re: M.Zuiko 7-14mm Adaptor and Filters

I have the Panasonic 7-14 and use an adapter made by Photosphere in Singapore. It's of nice quality and doesn't vignette at 7mm. It uses Haida 100mm square filters and they supply the 10-stop with it. It's a good filter with only the very slightest color cast. They do a version for the Olympus 7-14 too. Compared to the other options it's competitively priced;

https://photospheresg.com/collection...-f2-8-pro-lens
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
darkb3at (1st June 2017), sapper (2nd June 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi,

I use Phil Nortons adapter with my Nisi V3 holder. Pleased with how it works. It isn't possible to use the inbuilt circular polarising filter with the adapter, so you would need a square filter.
Not sure where you are in London, but I am down there Monday/ Tuesday night, I am looking at Greenwich Park for the sunset Tuesday night. If this is any good for you, you are welcome to see my setup. Let me know
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Grego For This Useful Post:
darkb3at (1st June 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I have the Panasonic 7-14 and use an adapter made by Photosphere in Singapore. It's of nice quality and doesn't vignette at 7mm. It uses Haida 100mm square filters and they supply the 10-stop with it. It's a good filter with only the very slightest color cast. They do a version for the Olympus 7-14 too. Compared to the other options it's competitively priced;

https://photospheresg.com/collection...-f2-8-pro-lens
Thank you very much Paul! I will look into this option.

Sorry if this is a novice question, I know the adaptor and filter holders are specific to each brand, but once that has been determined, filters of the right size (i.e. 100mm) of any brand are useable right?

G
Old 1st June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Grego View Post
Hi,

I use Phil Nortons adapter with my Nisi V3 holder. Pleased with how it works. It isn't possible to use the inbuilt circular polarising filter with the adapter, so you would need a square filter.
Not sure where you are in London, but I am down there Monday/ Tuesday night, I am looking at Greenwich Park for the sunset Tuesday night. If this is any good for you, you are welcome to see my setup. Let me know
Thanks Ian, so I guess the V5/V5 Pro is the upgraded version of the V3.

Thank you for the offer but I've got some project deadlines to meet, so won't be able to meet, but after mid June, I will be free and interested to see your setup.

G
Old 1st June 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are looking for a beginner's kit, you could buy a Haida 100 holder, and combined with the Haida version of my adapter (first solution you have mentioned but the Haida version)

I am quiet confident with the vignette performance this combo with be the best so far in 100mm range(no vignette under any condition), and it's the least expensive since the Haida 100 holder costs only 45GBP on amazon.co.uk
In conclusion, best performance but least expensive, since this holder has by accident a most reasonable but simple design regarding this subject.

On this facebook post you can see the vignette performance, I put 0, 30 and 45 rotated photo in it.

https://www.facebook.com/zu.adapter/...04423389856852

I am sure it's far better that Phil's adapter in terms of vignette.

For filters, all 100mm filters except Hitech Firecrest are of the same spec, so you can get the one you like. Just mention that ND1000 from Haida is better than Big Stopper (I have both), you can find reviews from Internet about it. For the rest I use Lee since when I bought them it didn't exist Haida or Nisi. Lee has 1.2 grad too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enzojz For This Useful Post:
darkb3at (3rd June 2017), sapper (2nd June 2017)
Old 1st June 2017

Thanked 1,246 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 5,950 Times in 1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkb3at View Post
Thank you very much Paul! I will look into this option.

Sorry if this is a novice question, I know the adaptor and filter holders are specific to each brand, but once that has been determined, filters of the right size (i.e. 100mm) of any brand are useable right?

G
Yes, a 100mm square filter is a 100mm square filter.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 3rd June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzojz View Post
If you are looking for a beginner's kit, you could buy a Haida 100 holder, and combined with the Haida version of my adapter (first solution you have mentioned but the Haida version)

I am quiet confident with the vignette performance this combo with be the best so far in 100mm range(no vignette under any condition), and it's the least expensive since the Haida 100 holder costs only 45GBP on amazon.co.uk
In conclusion, best performance but least expensive, since this holder has by accident a most reasonable but simple design regarding this subject.

On this facebook post you can see the vignette performance, I put 0, 30 and 45 rotated photo in it.

https://www.facebook.com/zu.adapter/...04423389856852

I am sure it's far better that Phil's adapter in terms of vignette.

For filters, all 100mm filters except Hitech Firecrest are of the same spec, so you can get the one you like. Just mention that ND1000 from Haida is better than Big Stopper (I have both), you can find reviews from Internet about it. For the rest I use Lee since when I bought them it didn't exist Haida or Nisi. Lee has 1.2 grad too.
Thank you for the info, the first option I was referring too was your creation! I didn't know you was a member here.

I will bear the filter info in mind too.

In that case, if I do tend towards the 3D print choice, I will get the Haida version and you will hear from me again

Tags
7-14, adaptor, filter