Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 26th November 2009

Liked 57 Times in 26 Posts
Editing software

I've heard many of you talk about CS and Lightroom etc... can someone explain what Photoshop CS does, and where does Lightroom fit in to this workflow please. Is it worth moving from Elements to something like this, and whats the difference between Elements and the "full-blown" versions.

Also, as I am currently a student with the OU, it means I am entitled to buy the adobe software at student rate, does anyone know if the software is a fully-functioning piece of software that leaves no watermarks or banners across the photos (not a daft question, as this happens with the academic versions of the CAD software I use)

Thanks in advance

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 26th November 2009
Administrator

Liked 494 Times in 275 Posts
Re: Editing software

Adobie's marketing used to say

Ligrtroom for the Many, Photoshop for the one. On other words Lightroom was for browsing, cataloguing (some simple functions) and preparing and batch processing multiple images, especially from Raw

Photoshop ( be that CS or elements) was for detailed processing of an image to get the effect you want using things like layers, seperations, Selective adjustment to parts of an images and many other detailed adjustments

Elements gives you a bit of everything in that you get some catalogusing and some photo manipulation

All three programs have their own use and power. Most would probably suggest starting with elements if you've not got into any serious photo editing and upgrade once you've moved beyond it

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 26th November 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hi Tracey

99.999% of my images are all dealt with by using Lightroom 2.5. I do have Photoshop CS3, but now rarely use it, and certainly have no inclination to upgrade as and when. I will though, upgrade Lightroom.

Lightroom provides a full catalogue system, and also the ability to process your images with immense control over all of the items. Please also note, that Lightroom is non-destructive in that all the edits you apply to your image do not alter the original image in any way. You can always revert to the original at any time.

Lightroom allows you to keyword, organise, catalogue, upload directly to online galleries (I upload direct to my Zenfolio gallery from within Lightroom), adjust all settings such as exposure, vignette, clarity, contrast, colours - in fact a massive array of parameters - all in a very usable user interface.

You can apply settings to single images, or you can apply them to a thousand images on import from your camera. You can export to all formats, have Lightroom automatically monitor a specific directory so when images are places there they are auto imported to Lightroom. You can create develop presets, export presets, all manner of presets - save these, and apply them en masse to any number of images.

Need more....???

Can you tell I am a Lightroom fanboy eh!

Old 26th November 2009
Codger

Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

John (theMusicMan) has said it all really.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd get Lightroom and Photoshop Elements.

Lightroom is designed from the ground up as a digital photographer's tool. There is some editing that really needs Photoshop, and Elements offers more flexibility than most of us will ever need.

I bought the full version of Photoshop years ago but won't be buying any more upgrades.

I'm 99% sure that the academic versions will not watermark anything - they could not even give them away otherwise. Buy them at the reduced prices while you can!

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 27th November 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Having seen student editions of CS4 - it looks like a fully fully functioning piece of software with no watermarks etc, but I've never installed it.

Would I pay 190 for it, well maybe, but I'd download to a defined directory and keep all the files, that way I could be reasonably sure of running the product over several years. It's a good piece of software, with a large after market of payed for plug-ins to lock you in.

Basically they are bribeing you with a copy of the product at a fair price, so they can sting you in the future for upgrades.

Personally I use mainly shareware with a few, relatively cheap, bought products. Money is better spent on glass.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 27th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,126 Times in 2,436 Posts
Liked 4,406 Times in 2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
I've heard many of you talk about CS and Lightroom etc... can someone explain what Photoshop CS does, and where does Lightroom fit in to this workflow please. Is it worth moving from Elements to something like this, and whats the difference between Elements and the "full-blown" versions.
Also, as I am currently a student with the OU, it means I am entitled to buy the adobe software at student rate, does anyone know if the software is a fully-functioning piece of software that leaves no watermarks or banners across the photos (not a daft question, as this happens with the academic versions of the CAD software I use)

Thanks in advance
About 500.00 if you pay full whack!

I ony use a fraction of the tools in Elements so goodness knows what I'd do with CS.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,126 Times in 2,436 Posts
Liked 4,406 Times in 2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hi Tracey

99.999% of my images are all dealt with by using Lightroom 2.5. I do have Photoshop CS3, but now rarely use it, and certainly have no inclination to upgrade as and when. I will though, upgrade Lightroom.

Lightroom provides a full catalogue system, and also the ability to process your images with immense control over all of the items. Please also note, that Lightroom is non-destructive in that all the edits you apply to your image do not alter the original image in any way. You can always revert to the original at any time.
Lightroom allows you to keyword, organise, catalogue, upload directly to online galleries (I upload direct to my Zenfolio gallery from within Lightroom), adjust all settings such as exposure, vignette, clarity, contrast, colours - in fact a massive array of parameters - all in a very usable user interface.

You can apply settings to single images, or you can apply them to a thousand images on import from your camera. You can export to all formats, have Lightroom automatically monitor a specific directory so when images are places there they are auto imported to Lightroom. You can create develop presets, export presets, all manner of presets - save these, and apply them en masse to any number of images.

Need more....???

Can you tell I am a Lightroom fanboy eh!
I do that (or at least I think I do) in Elements by saving the edited version under a new file name, leaving the original unaltered. Or is something happening to the original in this process that I'm not aware of?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Earlier in the year I went to a talk about using Lightroom, I thought it was brilliant. The chap showed how to do all sorts of things with it, it seemed much easier to use, a far more sensible layout than PS, much more user-friendly. The layout was a bit like CaptureOne.

As far as I know some camera clubs had a deal of some sort, which made it cheaper to buy, but at the time even that was a bit too much, so I still use Gimp - which is free.
Old 27th November 2009
Codger

Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I do that (or at least I think I do) in Elements by saving the edited version under a new file name, leaving the original unaltered. Or is something happening to the original in this process that I'm not aware of?
What Lightroom does is to store another file in parallel with the original, which contains details of all the changes you have made. The original cannot be overwritten, even by accident (and we have all done that). You can export the processed image to a JPG or whatever if and when you need to. When you reopen the original image, all the changes are reloaded from the file.

I hope that makes sense...

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 27th November 2009

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverh View Post
What Lightroom does is to store another file in parallel with the original, which contains details of all the changes you have made. The original cannot be overwritten, even by accident (and we have all done that). You can export the processed image to a JPG or whatever if and when you need to. When you reopen the original image, all the changes are reloaded from the file.

I hope that makes sense...
Elements does exactly the same with how it deals with raw files as well ,and just as in LR if you exit the raw converter to edit outside of it you have to make another file, you can just do a little more in LR before having to edit outside of LR. But saying that the grad and brush tools in LR are not as good or as exact as editing in PS and never will be untill editable masks are introduced in LR which is unlikely as iot would eat into PS sales.

I have LR2 but have to admit its not my main editing tool or always my raw converter of choice for that matter which kind of makes me the maverick.

I'm of the belief there are still real benefits for the modular, three pronged approach to a photographers' work flow. When someone builds a better mousetrap you can update that component, be it a faster Image Browser, better RAW Converter, or more efficient Cataloging application.

If there are any old audiophiles about you can compare it to picking the various components (amp/ turntable/speakers) from different manufactures or settling for a conviniant do it all midi system from one manufacturer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Last edited by OlyPaul; 27th November 2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 27th November 2009

Liked 526 Times in 368 Posts

"conviniant do it all midi system from one manufacturer. "

you mean like a Naim CDS555, 552, 500 DBLs
Old 27th November 2009

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
"conviniant do it all midi system from one manufacturer. "

you mean like a Naim CDS555, 552, 500 DBLs
Since when was the Naim CDS555 a do it all midi system? And as for the other components I'm sure there are those that would argue they can be bettered by another manafacturer.

To quote "The CD555 makes no attempt to play DVDs, DVD-As or SACDs. It doesn't have a digital output. Nor does it have a variable output. The CD555 simply plays CDs and at that it excels. We are confident that is the best CD player ever."

Methinks you make my point for me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 27th November 2009
Rod Souter

Until the endish of December Amazon are selling Elements 8 for 50.97

Rod
Old 27th November 2009
gno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post

Thanks in advance
Tracey to my knowledge the Student versions of Adobe Software are fully functioning without any limits, but it would be worth double checking before buying.

I think Lightroom and Photoshop are two different pieces of software for different audiences and they both have their place as a look at this search will show.
I've used both and can see the benifit of having both, but if I had to choose I would go with Photoshop if only for the ability to edit multi layered images.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Gavin
Old 28th November 2009
Kiwi Paul

You can trial Lightroom and CS4 for a month free, go to the Adobe website and download it and currently Lightroom 3 Beta is also available for free download and that runs untill March next year I think before it expires.

I have LR2 and CS3 and as Music man says I also just tend to use LR2 now and very rarely use CS3 unless I want to do advanced stuff such as layering etc.

Paul