Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 26th May 2018

Liked 2,318 Times in 747 Posts
Re: Decided to go long - but what to choose?

I debated long hard about whether to get the 300mm f4 prime or the 100-400 zoom. In the end I found a good deal for the 300mm so I decided to blow my budget on that. I also liked the idea of using an Olympus lens on an Olympus body, to take full advantage of the dual stabilization.

Since then I haven't regretted my decision and can count on the fingers of one hand the occasions when the prime lens was too long. I have since acquired an MC-14 teleconverter, which has been permanently attached to my camera, as most of the birds I see are small or too far away. However on Friday I came across the somewhat unusual sight of a Jay taking peanuts from a feeder. I went to take some shots from the usual position but discovered that I had to back off quite a way to include the tail. I had the novel experience of backing away from the subject, while everyone else was edging closer. This was the only occasion during the day when the fixed focal length was a problem. The attached image is uncropped vertically but I have taken a chunk off the right-hand side to reduce the file size.

Ron
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (27th May 2018), cinders (1st August 2018), drmarkf (26th May 2018), mik (27th May 2018), MJ224 (27th May 2018), OM USer (26th May 2018), Shaw (26th May 2018)
Old 26th May 2018

Liked 781 Times in 364 Posts

Ron, I've only gotten close to Jays on the continent where they are apparently less jumpy, I'm told. So not had that difficulty. I would be tempted to take two shots and stitch them panorama style. It is always a shame to give up detail. But thats a nice shot.

I have adapted my Canon 100-400 to fit to micro fourthirds so am currently not looking at a native lens, the best close focus distance would be a big issue for me so I'd go for the 300 I think. Especially with all of the doubts about the long term servicing of the 100-400 panasonic.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 26th May 2018

Liked 165 Times in 84 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I have the 100-400 and the 300+MC14.

The 100-400 is excellent on safari where animals can vary hugely in size and distance. Occasionally even 100 can be too long so I have a second body with the 40-150 or maybe in future the recently acquired 12-100.

The 300+MC14 wins hands down on birds and insects which are seldom close enough to fill the frame and where every millimetre of focal length is useful.

If i could only keep one it would be the zoom.

EM1, EM5 II
Old 26th May 2018

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
I have the 100-400 and the 300+MC14.

The 100-400 is excellent on safari where animals can vary hugely in size and distance. Occasionally even 100 can be too long so I have a second body with the 40-150 or maybe in future the recently acquired 12-100.

The 300+MC14 wins hands down on birds and insects which are seldom close enough to fill the frame and where every millimetre of focal length is useful.

If i could only keep one it would be the zoom.
Got any safari images? As this post seems to both be about the lenses and images taken, I'm happy to let this thread run to see how people are using both the Olympus 300 & 100-400 PanaL.
Old 26th May 2018

Liked 96 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
........................I have adapted my Canon 100-400 to fit to micro fourthirds so am currently not looking at a native lens, ..................

Do you feel that the adapted Canon lens (I assume, Metabones) is a viable alternative to a native lens?

Now that the latest Olympus/Panasonic bodies have the potential to be very good wildlife/sports cameras, we can, perhaps, hope that Sigma (or others) may fill the gaps in the tele-lens line-up
Old 26th May 2018

Liked 781 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
Do you feel that the adapted Canon lens (I assume, Metabones) is a viable alternative to a native lens?

Now that the latest Olympus/Panasonic bodies have the potential to be very good wildlife/sports cameras, we can, perhaps, hope that Sigma (or others) may fill the gaps in the tele-lens line-up
Hi Mike

I posted a few examples on another thread here http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost...3&postcount=17

I also put an album of a some recent shots with the metabones on Flickr here https://www.flickr.com/photos/131956...57666995345617

I bought a Canon 70D and 100-400 when I got bored with waiting on Olympus actually delivering a good long lens and a camera that would work it about three years ago. So I had the lens. The metabones is about 350.

All shots in the gallery are hand held on a Panasonic G9. For what I want the Canon works fine and the adapted lens gives me even more reach/magnification. And I have no need for CAF on micro four thirds. You will have seen on UK butterflies that the Canon happily stops butterflies in flight so I have all of the CAF/servo I need.

The Canon lens is a belter and feels like you could knock nails in with it, plus Canon will repair it should that be needed. It is heavier but it is very fast and not bad with the metabones, certainly focus is spot on.

I think this shot of a muntjak about 50 yards away (and moving) is good enough. But it wont suit everyone.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
MikeOxon (26th May 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (27th May 2018), MJ224 (27th May 2018), OM USer (26th May 2018), RobEW (28th May 2018)
Old 27th May 2018

Liked 165 Times in 84 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Got any safari images? As this post seems to both be about the lenses and images taken, I'm happy to let this thread run to see how people are using both the Olympus 300 & 100-400 PanaL.
There's a selection of pix here http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...ghlight=Kruger

EM1, EM5 II