Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 22nd February 2018

Liked 1,148 Times in 452 Posts
Re: What's wrong with these pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
Did you have the ten minutes and is this thought with 20/20 hindsight?
No- I didn't have ten minutes to wait for better lighting, alas. One of those moments when you are grumbled at for trailing behind the rest of the family snapping pictures :-)

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following User Liked This Post:
alfbranch (27th February 2018)
Old 22nd February 2018

Liked 1,343 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
I was attracted by the incongruity of it all, and I had to stand in the road at Presteigne to get the picture. However, in the end it seems a bit short on impact.

Maybe if I converted it to monochrome with the exception of the pump, and applied a bit of colour pop to that???

Oh, and I should have waited ten minutes for the railings to be fully in shadow. All these little things matter...
Not a fan of monochrome with isolated colour (Iím sure thereís a better term). Having the master file you can easily experiment, what about adding contrast, incorporate an S?

on flickr
Old 22nd February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Not a fan of monochrome with isolated colour (I’m sure there’s a better term). Having the master file you can easily experiment, what about adding contrast, incorporate an S?
Once upon a time I had a free demo (DXO?) film pack plug in for Photoshop, and that had some nice contrast S curves for Velvia and Provia - if you like that sort of thing. You can probably do as good without using a plugin.

Edit. I just checked. £59 hmm. Sorry DXO, that's too much.

Old 22nd February 2018
Administrator

Liked 297 Times in 165 Posts

Re the Hartford picture you are right that its more of a record shat of something than a picture that stands out. in terms of a record shot I would be tempted to clone out the bit of mess on the wall at the right... just distracts from the overall picture IMO

The rest of it seems OK

re Cloning out as you don't like power lines what would you have done with this...

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
The Following User Says Thank You to shenstone For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (22nd February 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (23rd February 2018), RobEW (11th April 2018)
Old 22nd February 2018

Liked 2,059 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
No- I didn't have ten minutes to wait for better lighting, alas. One of those moments when you are grumbled at for trailing behind the rest of the family snapping pictures :-)
Ah as I thought and a familiar one as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 22nd February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
Re the Hartford picture you are right that its more of a record shat of something than a picture that stands out. in terms of a record shot I would be tempted to clone out the bit of mess on the wall at the right... just distracts from the overall picture IMO

The rest of it seems OK

re Cloning out as you don't like power lines what would you have done with this...

Regards
Andy

Hmm. I think I would have moved to the right to take the picture. About half a mile to the right

alfbranch (22nd February 2018), shenstone (22nd February 2018)
Old 22nd February 2018

Liked 68 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
........... to encourage some mild critique
Hi Pete. i think there's a huge difference in what makes a good photo, depending on what it is intended for. 'Record' shots may be very interesting to the photographer and boring to anyone else. On the other hand, the Hovercraft could illustrate an article about 'whatever happened to...'

if a photo is to stand alone, then it needs to have a clear subject, with minimal distractions, so that the viewer can see what it's about. Taking your first three and thinking what I would do if I'd taken them...

I suggest that the first one is 'about' the Hovercraft. I'd re-crop around the subject and use an editor to take out the meaningless parked cars. The white van does have a purpose in 'scaling the picture, so I think it can stay. I would increase the contrast to add to the impact of the subject and get rid of as much boring foreground as possible.

For me, the second one is simply about the juxtaposition of the red metal and the green ivy, so I'd zoom in on that. I think tilting it to a diagonal composition is quite effective and increasing contrast to bring out the textures in the metal. The yellow fungus (or whatever it is) adds a bit of interest in an otherwise empty space.

Finally, the last one seems to be about too many different things. The Town Cryer is not very gripping in that position - perhaps, as someone suggested, it would be different if he were looking up and there was eye-contact - but there isn't! So, perhaps it's about the juxtaposition of the outdoor cafe, with its colourful sign, making the viewer think "that's a nice spot for a sunny day". The humour is that it's actually pouring with rain! So I would go with that theme.

I've shown some very rough crops to illustrate these ideas.

I believe that post-processing is a very important part of 'making' a photograph and I feel that yours make good starting points that were worth exploring further.

(if you don't like me tampering with your photos, let me know and I'll remove them )
alfbranch (22nd February 2018), Crazy Dave (22nd February 2018), OM USer (23rd February 2018), rkc (22nd February 2018), snaarman (22nd February 2018)
Old 22nd February 2018

Yes, I like those crops, and the arguments for them. In fact once you get brave enough to ask for a critique of an image it can be quite illuminating getting other points of view.

The Following User Says Thank You to snaarman For This Useful Post:
MikeOxon (22nd February 2018)
alfbranch (22nd February 2018)
Old 22nd February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
I believe that post-processing is a very important part of 'making' a photograph
I agree but many do not.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

RobEW (11th April 2018)
Old 23rd February 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,945 Times in 2,285 Posts
Liked 3,811 Times in 1,789 Posts

Quote:
Here's another example to have a go at.

What's right and wrong with this one :-) I can take it.

This is just the sort of quirky detail I love to discover myself. I would have tried moving the camera position around to see if I could align the pointer on the old pump with a gap in the railings - it may not have been possible, of course. The only other thing I would do is increase the contrast by around 25% in pp.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
snaarman (23rd February 2018)
Old 23rd February 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,945 Times in 2,285 Posts
Liked 3,811 Times in 1,789 Posts

Quote:
Yes, the rusty wheelbarrow presented itself and I gave it my best shot but I did feel it needed something else.

So, heres another picture from my Hannington days.

Whats the critique on this one?

I'm not a fan of overhead branches encroaching upon the main subject, in this case the church. I would have investigated the possibility of moving a few steps forward and to the right, to see if some of the headstones could form an interesting foreground with a less cluttered view of the church spire.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
OM USer (23rd February 2018), snaarman (23rd February 2018)
Old 23rd February 2018

Liked 68 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
So, heres another picture from my Hannington days.
This is another one where I'd adopt a 'less is more' approach. Unless you really want the whole Church, I'd go for a vertical crop - Spire 1/3 from the left, balanced by the yew tree, 1/3 from right. Just two of the graveyard crosses and the snowy path lead-in.

The trouble with wide-angle photos is that they often spread things out too much, and lead to a lot of empty foreground. When taking the photo, you could have zoomed in for the 'crop' I suggested.

After looking at your excellent blog, I suspect you might well have done that as well, anyway
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOxon For This Useful Post:
snaarman (23rd February 2018)
Old 25th February 2018

Liked 235 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
I agree but many do not.

Trying to quote the Quote you were Quoting.
'PP the most important part of taking a Photograph' ..... BOLLOCKS
Old 25th February 2018

Liked 778 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
If Mike hadn't stated "making" a photograph as opposed to "taking" a photograph I would agree with you. In the circumstance maybe Mike appreciates the difference as we both seem to do

Regards,

John
Old 26th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
There are two things you need to learn to correct this post.
The first is how to multi quote and the second is to accurately quote rather than misquote.

PP may well be an important part of many photos especially many B&W shots taken on 10X8" plate shots. Ansel Adams often did a loft work to get a print how he wanted. PP is not new just different now. I never saw a machine B&W print that I felt was delivering the potential of the photo. The same can be said of the cameras JPEG.