Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 1st April 2018

Liked 267 Times in 124 Posts
Re: Greater Blue Eared Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
That shot looks fairly sharp, judging by the eye; so I would be inclined to play with the curves, to see if bringing up the dark end would improve it. The contrast is very high.

So far as lens power is concerned, going too powerful makes grabbing shots of BIF difficult, so it depends what you want out of the lens. I found the 75-300 plenty powerful enough as an all purpose telephoto, its only downside being the small stop at the long end making good light necessary. Even then, for tracking very fast moving jet aircraft, it was a bit too powerful at full stretch. If you lose the target, you can't find it again, without shortening the zoom. The best bet is to try some lenses of differing powers, and see which suits you best. You can always crop a bit more if it isn't quite powerful enough to fill the frame, but when it's too powerful, if you tend to lose the shot, it's not a lot of good to you - and it's not just finding the target again, the lens also has to refocus, don't forget. As people have said, find ways f getting closer if you want better results, and develop patience, such as sitting still, maybe in a hide, for the time necessary for the bird to get close enough to you. That way, you'll get better results than with a more powerful lens.
Yesterday, we had hundreds of Swallows flying around the house. Oh boy do they go fast, too fast for me at this stage. I guess they will heading to the UK soon. I will keep a look out for their nest. That might be the easier option at the moment. I have experienced what you have described about the difficulty in finding the shot again, when I have homed in at the max end and then losing it. Thank you very much.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Old 1st April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
The 75-300mm is good (but not excellent). Just keep it below 270mm for best results.
Thank you, since reading your suggestion, I am keeping the lens below the 270mm, most kind

Phil
Old 1st April 2018

Thanked 1,180 Times in 1,097 Posts
Liked 1,473 Times in 765 Posts

Magic shots Phil. I know you were after wildlife but I really like the one of the Landrover! its a beautiful scene nicely captured.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Gate Keeper (1st April 2018)
Old 1st April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Agree with Rob, its the angle of sun. Very bright sun has shadowed out the underbody. (New verb!!)

If a RAW file is available, the contrast and shadows might be able to tweak out more detail...

We moan of not enough sun, but I guess in Africa, the opposite is true.....

Re lens "Power", the bigger the subject in the viewfinder, generally the better quality you gonna get. But many other factors also come in to play as said before...
Thank you Mark, I now have the original photo, not edited and I include it here with the exif on flickr. You are right about the sun. The Olympus enthusiast who visited 2 days ago told me how he sets the exposure to minus 1.5 for all of his shots. His preferred setting are: focus peaking on, enlargement on, 1000 sec, aperture priority. He did not say about ISO We are at high altitude, just over 6,000 feet above sea level and have sunshine for most of the year

Greater Blue eared Starling Laikipia by philip Gate Keeper, on Flickr

Phil
Old 1st April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Magic shots Phil. I know you were after wildlife but I really like the one of the Landrover! its a beautiful scene nicely captured.
Thank you Phill This photo is especially for you .........Sundowners with the family overlooking the Maasai Mara and the Landrover!

Sun downer with the family Laikipia by philip Gate Keeper, on Flickr

Phil

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 2nd April 2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (1st April 2018)