Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 2nd November 2017

Liked 107 Times in 73 Posts
E-M1 menus - proposed extra - shooting modes! :-)

I've been thinking about making more use of MySets, and maybe assigning some to the shooting mode dial, but the manual is very unclear about persistence. I'm guessing if you select Art mode and that is assigned to MySet1, and MySet1 includes aperture priority, then you get Myset1 with aperture priority, but then if you need Manual shooting you have to twist the dial. Does it then abandon MySet1? Or does Myset1 persist until you select a dial position assigned to another MySet? (And if the latter, we might have an odd situation where twisting the dial clockwise from X to Y might give a different result to twising it anticlockwise from X to Y).

Given that a change of MySet might be needed more hurriedly than a change of shooting mode, I wonder whether it would be an improvement to have shooting modes selectable by menus (or even SCP) so you could then use the highly visible and accessible dial purely for MySets.
Old 2nd November 2017

Liked 107 Times in 73 Posts
Re: E-M1 menus - proposed extra - shooting modes! :-)

Oh dear. It looks like MySets when assigned to the dial don't do what I want them for anyway. If I understand this thread correctly, they don't affect button assignments. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4112742

:-(

Can't really think of a use for them in that case. What else do they store?

In fact with some further reading the plot thickens considerably. Olympus really have created a rats nest which most people will never fathom.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/194165...7648062222141/

I suppose an obvious warning that whoever designed this user interaction didn't know much about users was the way it uses the word SET to mean two opposites; store and retrieve. The dialgue for storing (or saving) your settings as a MySet ends by selecting the word SET, and the dialogue for retrieving a MySet also ends by selecting the word SET in a slighly different context. :-)

They really need to think this through again from scratch, using a participatory design approach involving a Focus Group of representatively varied users and also some non-users who they'd like to become users.

= = =

The take-away for me from reading those articles and various others scattered around the web (e.g. http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog...5-mymodes.html and https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4112742 ), is this:

Mysets on the E-M1 & E-M5 II can be useful, even though the menu for saving and retriving them is a bit clunky. But when Mysets are assigned to buttons or dial functions they become so confusing and error prone that it is better not to bother.

Which is a shame as I thought I'd found a genuinely beneficial use for some of the unused positions on the shooting mode dial.

= = =

It's a love-hate thing with Oly. I love the lenses and mostly love the kit, th eengineering quality, the physical and sensory ergonomics. But the cognitive ergonomics? Appalling. The menus are so frustrating. I can see why some people prefer to stick with their iPhones ...
Old 2nd November 2017

Liked 390 Times in 179 Posts
Re: E-M1 menus - proposed extra - shooting modes! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
[B]Mysets on the E-M1 & E-M5 II can be useful, even though the menu for saving and retriving them is a bit clunky. [B]
Agreed
Quote:
But when Mysets are assigned to buttons or dial functions they become so confusing and error prone that it is better not to bother.
My experience is different.
I wasn't aware that you could - or would wish to - invoke a Myset other than by assigning it to either a dial and/or a button.

I used the Mysets to quickly swap between modes suitable of 'action subjects' (i.e. wildlife/sports with sequential shooting & focus settings etc.) and my more usual settings suitable for landscapes & similar.
This worked well provided that you assign the Myset to a Dial position. (if you use a button, the Myset gets de-activated whenever the camera goes to sleep.)
RobEW (4th November 2017)