Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 29th June 2011

Thanked 1,307 Times in 1,267 Posts
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,378 Posts
Will I need a lens mount adaptor for E-3 to E-PL1 ?

I am hopeless with camera nomenclature but -
I have an E-3. Will I need a lens mount adaptor for my Zuiko digital lenses to fit Olympus Pen (E-PL1)?

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
Old 29th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Will I need a lens mount adaptor for E-3 to E-PL1 ?

Yes, you'll need an MMF2 adaptor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kees For This Useful Post:
pandora (29th June 2011)
Old 29th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's also a Panasonic equivalent that works just as well and is a little cheaper

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said
The Following User Says Thank You to CallaWolf For This Useful Post:
pandora (29th June 2011)
Old 29th June 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Yes as already said above, I use all my lenses on my E-PL1 via the MMF adaptor and they all work great, just remember to update your lenses to the latest firmware for each as there has been some improvements for certain lenses and contrast AF

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 29th June 2011

Thanks Kees and Ceri. I asked because I just bought from B&H an E-PL1 (Refurbished) body only for what seemed like a good price.

I know next to nix about m4/3 and have a need for a simple pocket camera with a high IQ.

Present kit includes E-3, E-520 + Zuikos 12-60, 50-200, 14-42, 40-150 - So do I buy an adaptor or go for an m4/3 lens ?

Only I can answer that, I know - is there an m4/3 Zuiko equiv. to the 4/3 12-60mm ?

Is the m4/3 crop factor x2 ?

I have a steep learning curve ahead of me I fear.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
Old 29th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
Yes as already said above, I use all my lenses on my E-PL1 via the MMF adaptor and they all work great, just remember to update your lenses to the latest firmware for each as there has been some improvements for certain lenses and contrast AF
Just saw your msg after posting above. Thanks for that tip, Steve.

It seems to me that if I use my existing heavy 4/3 SWD lenses then I defeat my own need for a pocket camera.

My feeling is that I should aim for a m4/3 lens.

Old 29th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Just saw your msg after posting above. Thanks for that tip, Steve.

It seems to me that if I use my existing heavy 4/3 SWD lenses then I defeat my own need for a pocket camera.

My feeling is that I should aim for a m4/3 lens.
Ha ha no problem and welcome to the m4/3 world

Yes if you do use the big lenses then it wont be a pocketable camera no more, so i would advice to have one proper m4/3 lens, if you look around on ebay you will find the 14-42 at good prices

I do think getting the MMF Adaptor is a wise choice though as then you have a backup body

I also find that the 35mm macro and 40-150mm work well via the adaptor and still keep the camera compact

Hope this helps

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 29th June 2011

Thanked 1,155 Times in 914 Posts
Liked 1,438 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
We might even see another update after tomorrow (maybe).
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 29th June 2011

Your advice is most welcome Steve - and can't help noticing that we have a similar lens line up. We also have a similar profile.

I also ran my own wedding photography biz for 12 years until 2005, enough was enough!

Old 29th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
We might even see another update after tomorrow (maybe).
Fingers Crossed !!

Old 29th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Your advice is most welcome Steve - and can't help noticing that we have a similar lens line up. We also have a similar profile.

I also ran my own wedding photography biz for 12 years until 2005, enough was enough!
Indeed we do, Good minds think alike

12 Years wow, have you got any wedding sample pics online as I would love to see. Did you do it full time or part time. Im currently only doing it part time, but trying my best at the moment to get enough work to give up my day job and do photography full time.

If I could make a living out of photography, I would be over the moon, never before have I done such a rewarding job

But of course im aware (been told by many togs) that once you do it full time, it becomes like any other job and you risk losing the love of photography

Old 29th June 2011

Thanked 1,155 Times in 914 Posts
Liked 1,438 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Indeed we do, Good minds think alike

12 Years wow, have you got any wedding sample pics online as I would love to see. Did you do it full time or part time. Im currently only doing it part time, but trying my best at the moment to get enough work to give up my day job and do photography full time.

If I could make a living out of photography, I would be over the moon, never before have I done such a rewarding job

But of course im aware (been told by many togs) that once you do it full time, it becomes like any other job and you risk losing the love of photography

I came from a printing trade through electronics, computers & photocopiers to learning violin making & now I work from home repairing, restoring & setting up new imported violins, violas & cellos etc but as enjoyable as it is, it is still work, especially when the customer rings me up & asks if I have finished their job yet. Blimey, don't they know that I want to play around with my camera & spend heaps of time on the forums. Oh well, I have fix or sell a few instruments so I can have some more spending money for my toys.

I hope your work increases & you can get to do it full time, but I also hope it remains enjoyable for a good length of time before you want to change for something else that's new. I'm content with what I have (except cameras & lenses, I still want more ) & would hate to get a real job (wage job) again.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 29th June 2011

Quote:
.....12 Years wow, have you got any wedding sample pics online as I would love to see. Did you do it full time or part time.
I no longer have any wedding shots online but here are some samples.
Shot on film in the USA in 2005 and badly scanned, this wedding was something of a highlight in my career.
I did it full time averaging 30 weddings a year. (Let's hope the mods don't shut this down as we have drifted OT just a tad, Steve!)
I HAVE POSTED A PRESENTATION OF THIS WEDDING IN THE LOUNGE TITLED, Beth andTroy of Illinois

Old 29th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is some blurb on the MMF2 here http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/21693_23455.htm. The previous olympus product was the MMF1 and Panasonic have the DMW-MA1.

There is a thread comparing the 3 here.
Old 29th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I came from a printing trade through electronics, computers & photocopiers to learning violin making & now I work from home repairing, restoring & setting up new imported violins, violas & cellos etc but as enjoyable as it is, it is still work, especially when the customer rings me up & asks if I have finished their job yet. Blimey, don't they know that I want to play around with my camera & spend heaps of time on the forums. Oh well, I have fix or sell a few instruments so I can have some more spending money for my toys.

I hope your work increases & you can get to do it full time, but I also hope it remains enjoyable for a good length of time before you want to change for something else that's new. I'm content with what I have (except cameras & lenses, I still want more ) & would hate to get a real job (wage job) again.
Wow that is quite some trade Journey, but good to know a man who can put his hand to many things

Thanks very much