Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 4th November 2017

Liked 97 Times in 70 Posts
Re: Panning for Motor Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
That looks pretty good to me. One suggestion generally: better to get shots nearer to head-on if you can. Then you only really have to worry about getting the front bit really sharp, and they also tend to look more dramatic.
Panning doesn't work well with the subject coming at you. For that you need fast shutter speeds & quick focusing.
Old 5th November 2017

Liked 1,289 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrochemist View Post
Panning doesn't work well with the subject coming at you. For that you need fast shutter speeds & quick focusing.
Yes, but that's probably easier to achieve. Depends on the angle, of course. One of my work colleagues a few years back was into photographing motorsport, especially racing motorbikes. He usually went for shots at about 30-45 degrees from head-on, especially for motorbikes. He achieved some stunning results, both on film and digital - in the days before really fast focusing. An acquired skill, I suppose.

(His other part-time 'nice little earner' was wedding photography, with a beautiful Hasselblad. His wedding photos were superb. It was he who gave me about 7 rolls of 120 800 ASA Portra film when he sold the Hasselblad. Still in my fridge...)
Old 5th November 2017

Liked 290 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
That looks pretty good to me. One suggestion generally: better to get shots nearer to head-on if you can. Then you only really have to worry about getting the front bit really sharp, and they also tend to look more dramatic.

Correct. Head on shots are easier to achieve but they present no trills and skill. With digital, it's ok to blow and scrap 90% of the day's take.

And also being a cheapskate, I entered on a free practice day. If head on shots are required, then track side access will be required. That's reserved for those with media pass.. Soli, no such thing for yours truly.

Back in 2013, I was blessed with a limited access pass. Almost track side

All my garbage so far.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Hemlockwood (5th November 2017), KeithL (5th November 2017)
Old 5th November 2017

Another slightly different angle

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Liked This Post:
KeithL (7th November 2017)
Old 5th November 2017

That looks OK to me.
Old 5th November 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Correct. Head on shots are easier to achieve but they present no trills and skill. With digital, it's ok to blow and scrap 90% of the day's take.

And also being a cheapskate, I entered on a free practice day. If head on shots are required, then track side access will be required. That's reserved for those with media pass.. Soli, no such thing for yours truly.

Back in 2013, I was blessed with a limited access pass. Almost track side

A good place is as cars or bikes exit the chicane at Snetterton (which is a fast circuit anyway). Things like a wheel in the air! It's not too difficult to get a position where you can get dramatic shots at that point. I haven't been there for years, but I believe you can still get in on practice days, with an entry charge. I'm not really into motorsport photography myself, tough. I have done it on occasion, but consider myself very much an amateur at the skill needed.
Old 6th November 2017

Quote:
A good place is as cars or bikes exit the chicane at Snetterton (which is a fast circuit anyway). .....
Not that much chance here..maybe I should try getting to those 4X4 off road race one of these days.

All my garbage so far.
KeithL (7th November 2017)
Old 6th November 2017

Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
A good place is as cars or bikes exit the chicane at Snetterton (which is a fast circuit anyway). Things like a wheel in the air! It's not too difficult to get a position where you can get dramatic shots at that point. I haven't been there for years, but I believe you can still get in on practice days, with an entry charge. I'm not really into motorsport photography myself, tough. I have done it on occasion, but consider myself very much an amateur at the skill needed.
Chicane?

I go once a year to catch my friend competing in Jedi/F1000 and to remind myself how poor I am at motorsport.

Snetterton circuit was changed quite substantially a few years back. There are now 3 configurations and better banking to provide protection and viewing for the spectators.
http://www.snetterton.co.uk/circuit-...spx#circuitMap

First time I went for the Lotus festival in 2010 Russell before the start/finish straight looked like this...

Lotus Cup Europe Race 2 - Russell Bend
by AMcUK, on Flickr

There was lots of straight lining through this complex and some fairly significant shunts.

Now it looks like this

Boxster at Murrays
by AMcUK, on Flickr

They've added a long fast corner after the Bomb Hole, Coram which makes for some dramatic last minute braking and over taking into Murrays.

Boxster enthusiasm at Murrays
by AMcUK, on Flickr

(No, the patriotic Porsche didn't make it)

My own panning technique is nowhere near as good as the OP, even at slower speeds with faster shutter I get very few keepers. I'd be chuffed with what you've posted.

G Watson, #69, 1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Ti, HRDC Touring Greats/ TC63 Snetterton, UK.
by AMcUK, on Flickr
Old 6th November 2017

I didn't realise it had been changed at Snetterton. The fast chicane was great for motorcycle shots, and you could get on the other side of it, as I remember, so you got them leaning towards you as they exited.

I like the old Alfa! Shame about the framing - but you can't win 'em all!
Old 7th November 2017

Bro AMc, Keepers are only a lowly 10~15 % of a day's outing. Shown here are the "good" ones. Digital photography have that advantage over film, one can machinegun (plus suffer later)

The track is so close. it would be a Joy to photograph from all the different places. Do you have to pay to enter?

For Sepang, Malaysia, it's pay to see and we are not that near.

Sample of a covered seat area which can cost up to RM300 for F1

This is the cheaper covered hillside

So to get really close, it's a super zoom lenses from 150mm onwards.

All my garbage so far.
Old 7th November 2017

Liked 97 Times in 70 Posts

Sepang's a nice circuit & VERY cheap to get in. RM300 is about 54. Silverstone F1 is well over 100 for general admission (standing on the open banking). The early bird pricing (135) for next year is no longer available so it's now 155 just to get in on race day. Sunday's Grandstand seating is upto 400.

Long telephotos are usually needed for motorsports - on my crop DSLR I tend to use a 150-500 and often wish for more reach. It's only on the inside of the hairpin at Brands Hatch or in the paddock that 150mm has proved too long.
Here's one from the hairpin nearing the lenses widest:
Formula ford b by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

and one from my (IR converted) MFT camera at the same spot:
Andrew Jordan - Infra red panning by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr
Old 7th November 2017

Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
I didn't realise it had been changed at Snetterton. The fast chicane was great for motorcycle shots, and you could get on the other side of it, as I remember, so you got them leaning towards you as they exited.

I like the old Alfa! Shame about the framing - but you can't win 'em all!
The framing on that one was deliberate - I know you won't believe me though
Try this one if you want to see the boot

G Watson, #69, 1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Ti, HRDC Touring Greats/ TC63 Snetterton, UK.
by AMcUK, on Flickr

Quote:
Bro AMc, Keepers are only a lowly 10~15 % of a day's outing. Shown here are the "good" ones. Digital photography have that advantage over film, one can machinegun (plus suffer later)
I've binned lots of what I took too, as you say that's the joy of digital.
I tried and tried to get a clean shot of this lovely little Porsche with some blur on the wheels. Still wasn't 100% happy but never mind.

M Holme, #91, 1965 Porsche 911, HRDC Academy/ Allstars & A-Series Challenge
by AMcUK, on Flickr

Quote:
The track is so close. it would be a Joy to photograph from all the different places. Do you have to pay to enter?
I go to support my friend in F1000 - Car 42 Paul Butcher, he came second overall this year.
http://www.f1000uk.com/

In previous years he's been able to use competitor tickets but this year I had to pay to get in - it was only 15 or so.
One of the nice things about the BRSCC meetings is there is a variety of things going around. The classics were shifting for their age but nothing close to the speed of the F1000 cars. There were also Boxsters, 924 and 944 races. An MG club race had a real mix MGBGT V8, a Maestro and a slight surprise to me a Rover Metro that wiped the floor with the rest - different class of racing car though.

As it's a club day things are very relaxed - there are very few restrictions on where you can go and you can sit in the little grandstands and wander around to get different views. The paddock is open so you can see the cars and chat with the drivers. Worth looking at the circuit calendar if you're reasonably close.

I know Snetterton also host the Touring Cars and some other big ticket events but I don't know much about pricing.
Old 9th November 2017

Nice vantage race cars.

All my garbage so far.
AMc (14th November 2017)