Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 14th June 2015

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Parkrun: first try at sports photography with the 12-40, 40-150 and EM-5

This was my first attempt at sports photography. The challenge was not so much to get a few great shots, but to capture sharp pictures of most of the runners.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132223724@N05/

All pictures were taken at f/2.8 in AF-S mode. Overall, I was quite happy with the autofocus performance. I took the pictures from four different positions; at the start (with the 12-40, and then with the 40-150 when the runners came around for another lap), on a footpath at around 1 km on the course, on a footpath at around 3 km (only for the faster runners), and then at a footbridge at around 4 km. I kept about 2/3 of the shots, although I suspect I didn't pick the best spot at the bridge, as there was quite a bit of detail in the background - perhaps a different spot would have been better? The spot at the bridge allowed me to get all the runners in an easy way, but I actually prefer the shots taken on the footpaths.

The images were shot in raw, and developed in Lightroom 4.4 with synchronised settings - I noticed that I had inadvertently changed exposure compensation to -1 at some point (I should have locked the hand grip), but this was easily corrected.

I'd appreciate feedback and advice for this kind of shooting.
Old 14th June 2015

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Parkrun: first try at sports photography with the 12-40, 40-150 and EM-5

Some of my favourites from each location. One thing I noticed (not in these pictures) was that I didn't always get the runner in front in focus. I didn't use the central AF field, but (in portrait mode) the one above the centre to focus on the face, however, on the bridge, this seems to sometimes have resulted in focusing on the runner behind. With hindsight, I should have probably stayed at the "km 3" location, it looks a bit more pleasing.

Overall though, I am very happy with the AF speed of the EM-5 - at least in good light, I don't see a reason to go to the EM-1 for this kind of shooting.

The start:

First Lap:

Footpath around km1:

Footpath around km 3:

On the bridge:

After the race:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th June 2015)
Old 14th June 2015

Liked 3,156 Times in 1,204 Posts

Having had a quick look at all the flikr ones I'd say the processing looks fine, but the framing of the shots is not so. Perhaps a slightly different position looking more side-on to the runners to get more isolation and not so many limbs missing in the frame? Obviously a good record of the day though.
Old 15th June 2015

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks. Yes, framing was sometimes problematic; there were so many runners (during the busiest times, I took about 100 pictures / minute) that I couldn't really compose. Also, except for one or two shots at the beginning, I didn't crop any of the pictures afterwards. Perhaps next time, I'll pick a location / distance where I can be sure that the runners I focus on are completely in the frame. As you suggest, this probably requires shooting at a bit more of an angle; where I was, opposite to the bridge, I often only got full view of a runner once the person in front had veered off.

Tags
12-40, 40-150, em-5, running, sports