Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,865 Times in 1,424 Posts
Re: New MC 20 announced.

Tord is right on the EE-1 sight, very handy for acquiring the target.
I have the Novoflex pistock fitted with an arca clamp which helps to steady the combo.
It's not worth the money unless you can find it cheap on ebay!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,305 Times in 346 Posts

I hold it the setup same way as I would normally, exception from having left arm half stretched since the EE-1 would be at, from memory, 30cm from eye.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 113 Times in 47 Posts

I can't find their post, but somebody previously mentioned that the front (N.B. body) cap for the MC-14 wasn't a standard cap as it had a ('top hat') projection for the protruding front element that projects into the end of compatible lenses.

It is a BC3 (BC2 is a standard cap), and this same cap will be supplied with the MC-20.

Just a thanks for whoever posted it, and checked I've the correct cap in my bag, and wont sell/PE some elderly pen body with the special teleconverter body cap in it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Good article by Scott Bourne on teleconverters:

https://picturemethods.com/2019/06/2...verter-basics/

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
BDennis (3 Weeks Ago), Phill D (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 2,273 Times in 1,080 Posts

Thats a good article, thanks for posting the link Mark. It will be good to see what he does with his x2 tc when he gets it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,099 Times in 1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Good article by Scott Bourne on teleconverters:

https://picturemethods.com/2019/06/2...verter-basics/
A good article but I don't know where he gets this from:

"Teleconverters don’t work as well in low-light situations". Why not? (I don't do low-light photography). A TC is only a lens and has no intensity-related behaviour.

Harold
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,637 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
A good article but I don't know where he gets this from:

"Teleconverters don’t work as well in low-light situations". Why not? (I don't do low-light photography). A TC is only a lens and has no intensity-related behaviour.

Harold
I took it as a simplistic view that losing a stop or two must make it harder to use in low light: therefore it doesn't work as well...

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
I took it as a simplistic view that losing a stop or two must make it harder to use in low light: therefore it doesn't work as well...
It's a matter of language. I suppose that he meant that your fast lens won't perform as such a fast lens but that applies to all lighting situations. The TC will still function as designed.

If you want the extra reach with the TC you can always turn up the ISO.

Harold
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,865 Times in 1,424 Posts

There is (on average) simply no noticeable image degradation when using a teleconverter on a crop-sensor camera. This is because only the center of the lens is being used to render the image. FF sensor users will notice minor image quality reductions with most TCs, but that doesn’t mean they cannot get acceptable results.

Surely even FF will only use the centre (although more of it) of the lens with a tele or it would still be the same length lens!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
There is (on average) simply no noticeable image degradation when using a teleconverter on a crop-sensor camera. This is because only the center of the lens is being used to render the image. FF sensor users will notice minor image quality reductions with most TCs, but that doesn’t mean they cannot get acceptable results.

Surely even FF will only use the centre (although more of it) of the lens with a tele or it would still be the same length lens!
Correct. He means that some of the additional detail captured by some FF sensors may be the first to go if there is any loss because of the TC (of less than excellent quality).

Harold
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hi,

Basically a teleconverter is group of lenses that together act as a single diverging lens that enlarges the central part of the image obtained by the objective lens and then the central part is projected on the sensor. As example: say we use the 300mm F/4 lens. The front lens diameter is 75 mm. Adding the MC-20, 2.0 TC, would have as effect that what is captured by the central 37,5 mm of the lens are projected on the sensor. In effect you have achieved the same as doubling the focal length. And when doing so there are two negative side effects:
The well known is 3/4 of what the front lens captures have been "masked", only 1/4 of the lens area is used, which is 2 F-stops light loss.
The lens optical resolution capability is reduced. Larger lenses have higher resolution capability, size matters. Does this matter on the final results, what is captured by the sensor? Maybe, see further down.

Now, lenses are designed and manufactured with certain tolerances, resulting in imperfections. The implication of enlargement is that any imperfections in the lens will be amplified with a degree which should be more or less equal to the magnification. If the lens is designed and manufactured to very high standards, above the standards what the sensor is capable of capturing, then the effect of adding a TC may not be so detrimental.

If the lens is manufactured with lower standards then amplifying would mean that the impact of lens imperfections become more noticeable; losing sharpness and contrast. In addition to this could be introduced additional distortions, color shifts, chromatic abberrations caused by the teleconverter if the latter is of not so high quality. Adding a teleconverter is similar to adding one more telephoto group on a telephoto lens. If you know the details of the optical design and formulas of the lens, then designing a teleconverter that has good match and minimal detrimental impact is an easier task than if you don't have that information. I assume that Olympus have walked the extra mile when designing the MC-14 and MC-20 for a good match with the lenses that they are meant to use with.

As an example. Again, the m.Zuiko 300 F/4. Wide open.
Without teleconverter it is capable of resolving 68 lpmm which is excellent, enabling to take exceptionally sharp photos.
With the MC-14 the resolution capability drops to 55 lpmm. Still a very good value.
The MC-20 has not been tested yet, my guess is that the same test would give 40-45 lpmm. Future will tell...
NB. Above was measured with the E-PL1, I don't know the values that would have been obtained with the E-M1 M.2

On same site you can read about the 40-150 F/2.8, which with 67 lpmm is excellent too and where adding the MC14 lowers the resolution to around 47 lpmm at least at the centre of the image. I would guess that adding the MC-20 would result in lower 30's figure, and I would be hesitant using it without stopping down a step or two if sharpness is a primary concern.

Source: https://www.lenstip.com/lenses_reviews.html

On wikipedia is description of a teleconverter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleconverter

My Gallery on 500px
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (3 Weeks Ago), GyRob (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Yes, I can't remember where I saw it among all the early reviews I've read and seen (maybe Petr Bambousek), but one did recommend the MC-20 was generally OK at full aperture with the 300, but they recommended 1 stop down for the 40-150 (which is a bit of a shame, thinking of how I might want to use it).

I'm going to wait to see more reviews and try it out myself before committing.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
Hi,

Basically a teleconverter is group of lenses that together act as a single diverging lens that enlarges the central part of the image obtained by the objective lens and then the central part is projected on the sensor. As example: say we use the 300mm F/4 lens. The front lens diameter is 75 mm. Adding the MC-20, 2.0 TC, would have as effect that what is captured by the central 37,5 mm of the lens are projected on the sensor. In effect you have achieved the same as doubling the focal length. And when doing so there are two negative side effects:
The well known is 3/4 of what the front lens captures have been "masked", only 1/4 of the lens area is used, which is 2 F-stops light loss.
The lens optical resolution capability is reduced. Larger lenses have higher resolution capability, size matters. Does this matter on the final results, what is captured by the sensor? Maybe, see further down.

Now, lenses are designed and manufactured with certain tolerances, resulting in imperfections. The implication of enlargement is that any imperfections in the lens will be amplified with a degree which should be more or less equal to the magnification. If the lens is designed and manufactured to very high standards, above the standards what the sensor is capable of capturing, then the effect of adding a TC may not be so detrimental.

If the lens is manufactured with lower standards then amplifying would mean that the impact of lens imperfections become more noticeable; losing sharpness and contrast. In addition to this could be introduced additional distortions, color shifts, chromatic abberrations caused by the teleconverter if the latter is of not so high quality. Adding a teleconverter is similar to adding one more telephoto group on a telephoto lens. If you know the details of the optical design and formulas of the lens, then designing a teleconverter that has good match and minimal detrimental impact is an easier task than if you don't have that information. I assume that Olympus have walked the extra mile when designing the MC-14 and MC-20 for a good match with the lenses that they are meant to use with.

As an example. Again, the m.Zuiko 300 F/4. Wide open.
Without teleconverter it is capable of resolving 68 lpmm which is excellent, enabling to take exceptionally sharp photos.
With the MC-14 the resolution capability drops to 55 lpmm. Still a very good value.
The MC-20 has not been tested yet, my guess is that the same test would give 40-45 lpmm. Future will tell...
NB. Above was measured with the E-PL1, I don't know the values that would have been obtained with the E-M1 M.2

On same site you can read about the 40-150 F/2.8, which with 67 lpmm is excellent too and where adding the MC14 lowers the resolution to around 47 lpmm at least at the centre of the image. I would guess that adding the MC-20 would result in lower 30's figure, and I would be hesitant using it without stopping down a step or two if sharpness is a primary concern.

Source: https://www.lenstip.com/lenses_reviews.html

On wikipedia is description of a teleconverter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleconverter
All very well, if you use your lens wide open all the time. The real question, I suggest, is whether there is significant difference in performance between closing the lens down by two stops and using a matched, x2TC.

Harold
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hi Mark,

For what it's worth...

There is a forum user "katran" who has been sharing nice photos taken with the 50-200 SWD + EC20. To achive sharp results he stopped down from F/7.1 to F/9 if possible/if light was not too poor. That would amount to about 2/3 F-stops. If the same amount is required on the 40-150 + MC20 that would mean F/7.1. Future will tell...

Photos and discussion related to the EC20:
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...t=13640&page=5

My Gallery on 500px
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
All very well, if you use your lens wide open all the time. The real question, I suggest, is whether there is significant difference in performance between closing the lens down by two stops and using a matched, x2TC.

Harold
Hi Harold,

For the m.Zuiko lenses there is no other option than using Olympus' own, matching, teleconverters as there is no other make available, so we can only speculate.

I once did test a Kenko 2.0 TC on 4/3 lens (300/2.8) and although the results with the Kenko were acceptable, visual inspection showed that the 4/3 EC20 produced sharper results with higher contrast, wide open. As I don't have the equipment to measure resolution I cannot tell how much stopping down would have been required to produce equivalent results.

My Gallery on 500px