Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th February 2010

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Advice on monitors?

Hi one and all

I am about to replace my ageing desktop computer and 19" CRT monitor and whilst I know what bits and pieces to order for inside the "box", it would be nice to have some help with choosing a flat screen, especially with regard to viewing photographs. I still believe that CRTs are better for this purpose but I have to move with the times.

Price is of consequence, so any information regarding ones that you may be using would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Bob
Old 5th February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Advice on monitors?

Hi there Bob its allways hard choosing a monitor and you do not say how much you want to spend, I have given you a link to this 24" iiyama which are normally very good monitors, with having a 19" crt and moving to a plat widescreen the 24" should give you the same hight you are use to but you will end up with a wider screen.

This monitor should be very responsive at 2ms and with it being HD ready it should suit you down to the ground.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/24-II...D-Ready-PC-MAC

also I have used Scan computers many times and they are good people to deal with.

You will find lots of monitors on this site and I am sure you will find what your looking for.

If you can afford more than what this monitor is going for then I would go for one with a crystal view, but its allways the wallet that slows us down.
Old 5th February 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

If your going to buy a monitor now, then get one that supports 120hz. 3D is going to kick in big time this year and to be compatible you need a 120hz screen. Infact PC Games and Applications are already a year into 3D and there are tons of software and films out that you can enjoy in 3D now

At that refresh you will also get the most crystal, flicker clear picture possible in 2D for photo work etc

I rate LG and Samsung for both monitors and LCD TV's

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung...D%20MONITOR%22

PS I also see 3D photos becoming the new fad this year, software is already available - http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 5th February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you should consider 22" plus, you have not said what software you use, I use lightroom 2 and elements 7 and with all the menus open the image on screen is only about 1/4 of the screen size so the larger the monitor the better. Most well known brand name will be good the only advice I would give is get a monitor calibration system, this will make all the difference. I use Spyder 3 Pro and the difference is beyond words, I hope this is helpful.

http://bwpn.zenfolio.com/

http://naturalhistorycambs.blogspot.com/

Digital Equipment: Olympus E1 - E30 - E-500 | EC-14 & EC-20 Teleconverter | Zukio 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 150mm F/2, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm | Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 SLD, 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC MACRO, 150 F2.8 Macro & 50-500mm (Bigma) |Tamron 135mm f/2.5 Macro 200mm f/3.5 | Optecka 800mm f/8 Prime | Wallimax 500mm F/6.3 Mirror Lens | Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-4 O Digital Flash | Manfrotto 055XB Tripod, Opticron Carbon Fibre "Traveller" Tripod, Sidewinder Gimbal Head, Manfratto 676B monopod, Manfrotto 322RC2 Head Lowpro Nature Trekker AWII, Lowpro Vertex 100 AW and Lowpro Toploader Pro 75 AW.
Old 5th February 2010

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

With regard to Barrie's comments, why not consider a twin screen setup. 2 * 22" widescreen LCD monitors.

If you consider you may want to go this way at a later date, get the second graphics card installed at the time of purchase of the desktop computer, then you can ensure it matches at the outset your original installed graphics card.

The machine will run quite happily with a 2nd card installed but not activated and then a second monitor could be added later when funds allow and when activated. (You could always ask for a single, but twin output graphics card.)

This two monitor setup will give you all the room you need for menus, twin images on screen, and even perhaps running two full screen programs, so that you can switch and move files/images between either.

Works for me.

John WB
Old 5th February 2010
Chris_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi one and all

I am about to replace my ageing desktop computer and 19" CRT monitor and whilst I know what bits and pieces to order for inside the "box", it would be nice to have some help with choosing a flat screen, especially with regard to viewing photographs. I still believe that CRTs are better for this purpose but I have to move with the times.

Price is of consequence, so any information regarding ones that you may be using would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Bob
Bob, have a look at the tftcentral.co.uk site. They do reviews of monitors and I've found them useful in the past.

Just for your info, I use a 24" HP2475w which is very good for its price point.
Old 6th February 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,184 Posts
Liked 1,458 Times in 674 Posts

I think we need to know what your budget is. Do you also need it to be a TV with a TV tuner?

If you can stretch to a 24 inch screen (now available under 200) that would be good.

One of the biggest problems with cheaper monitors is that they don't have enough adjustment of brightness. I have a budget priced 24 inch screen (Digimate DGM brand supplied as own-brand by Dabs.com) and it's very good apart from the fact that when I calibrate it I can't get the brightness down low enough for the calibration process.

There are three main types of LCD panel technology available in monitors, IPS, VA and TN. IPS is the best for photography, but it's expensive. VA is a good affordable alternative. TN has the worst colour accuracy and viewing angles, but it has a fast response time and so is favoured for gaming and TV.

Most 22 inch monitors are TN types and they are not as wide view as others (16:10 rather than 16:9 widescreen). 22 inch monitors are usually fitted with TV tuners. TN panels often show faint lightness around the edges of the screen when the display is turned down to black.

So the panel to aim for is a VA type assuming your budget is limited and you don't do a lot of high speed gaming. But the industry doesn't make it easy - my 24 inch Digimate was reportedly supplied with both a PVA and a TN panel and it was pot luck as to which you received. And it's often difficult to find out which panel type a monitor is fitted with anyway.

A clue is if the quoted response time is mega-fast (5ms and under) it's possible it's a TN panel. To be honest, all the really cheap monitors are likely to be TN types.

Good brands I can recommend are iiyama, Dell, and Samsung. But it all depends on the panel type being used...

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 6th February 2010

Thanks Ian, Chris, John, Barry, Steve & Geoff--------------you have all given me a great deal to work on.

My present system is a Mesh which has given me good service for over 7 years. They are also based not far from where I live so that if I have a problem I can get it to them quickly and not have to rely on couriers etc., though I haven't had to do that yet.

They supply iiyamas with their systems, 22" up to 26" and whilst the 26" has more viewable pixels (1920x 1200) as against 1920 x 1080 for the slightly smaller models, it has a larger pixel pitch 0.27 x 0.27 as against 0.248 x 0.248.
Viewing from a distance of say three feet, in my case, would the 22" monitor be better?

All Mesh monitors have a response time of either 2ms or 5ms tho' the contrast ratios vary a great deal. My gaming is limited to almost static types I prefer shooting with my Oly.

I shall follow up the various links you have all mentioned and would like to thank you all for your advice and to re-iterate what a great forum this is and to praise the helpfulness of its members.

Bob
Old 6th February 2010
gno

Bob,

You may also want to look at 120hz ViewSonic, I switched from a iiyama Vision Master Pro to ViewSonic and have been very pleased, at the time they had a zero dead pixel policy which is always a good point.
Nothing worse than a white pixel in you eye line.

Regards

Gavin
Old 6th February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gno View Post
Bob,

You may also want to look at 120hz ViewSonic, I switched from a iiyama Vision Master Pro to ViewSonic and have been very pleased, at the time they had a zero dead pixel policy which is always a good point.
Nothing worse than a white pixel in you eye line.

Regards

Gavin
Gavin

I've had a look at the link and it looks good. I don't think I'll need 3D as I believe this is of more use to gamers. The native resolution seems a little low compared to Iiyama but I've no doubt it may be superior in other respects. Will consider it though.
Thanks
Bob
Old 6th February 2010
gno

Bob,

I still have an iiyama Vision Master Pro CRT 19" which I use in conjunction with the Viewsonic and I thought to start with that the Viewsonic would be inferior in picture quality, but to be honest I prefer the picture on the ViewSonic and do my Photo editing on that monitor.
Another plus is that it is so much easier to set up and adjust than the CRT iiyama.
It's always best to see first before buying especially if you can view side by side.

Regards

Gavin
Old 6th February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I have a budget priced 24 inch screen (Digimate DGM ...
Ian
I had a 24 inch DGM until 15th December. It started having vertical green and black lines down it. It went in for repair on 15th December and has been "on hold" since then, waiting for a new panel from HQ. I am not a happy bunny now and am considering requesting a refund. I purchased it from Overclockers but it went to Digimate for repairs. It seems from the Overclockers forum that I am not the only one that has had to send it in for repair...
Old 7th February 2010
ewan

I've been using a Viewsonic VA2216w 22" TFT flatscreen that I got from Tesco a couple of years ago for 150, anti glare. It replaced a 17" CRT Viewsonic so I trusted the make [only called in for vegie burgers]. Excellent value.
Old 7th February 2010

Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts

If the CRT is still working then get a dual video card...I am running a Vision Master 505 next to a Dell 2007FP (IPS version)
If the CRT is still good for photo work and a tight budget applies then just get a low cost 19" LCD as the second monitor
Old 7th February 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

While we're on the subject, what's the feeling about using an LCD TV as a monitor? Most have VGA inputs (or HDMI), and you can get a 27" for not much money, so how do TVs fare as moitors?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site