Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 24th June 2017

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Serif Affinity

Would like to know if anyone on the forum is using Affinity photo editing software and if so what they think of it. Just downloaded the free 10 day trial and first impressions are not bad. Its not as intuitive as Adobe CC but then I have been using that for a long while. Subs are going up to over £10 per month for Adobe in September whereas Affinity is yours for a £40 one off payment. Be interested to hear other members views. Thanks, Ian W.
Old 24th June 2017

Liked 2,628 Times in 808 Posts
Re: Serif Affinity

I bought it recently but I am struggling with it and find it much more difficult than Lightroom. It takes me ages to process a raw file and then I haven't worked out how to apply those settings to the next similar file. In Lightroom I could use synchronise as a starting point. I wish I had saved the £40 towards a standalone version of Lightroom 6

Ron
Old 24th June 2017

Thanks for the input Ron, must admit it looks a bit clunky compared to Adobe but on price alone it seems a bargain and it takes Google Nic which is a big plus as far as I am concerned, lets see what others have to say, thanks again, IW.
Old 24th June 2017

Liked 224 Times in 122 Posts

I like Affinity. It does most things I did in CS6 and I know that an upgrade is in the pipeline. It's also on offer, 20% off at the moment. There's another recent post on here where people have debated Affinity features. Tutorials are good and have solved my issues by using the forum.

I tried using the macro facility yesterday but failed, probably down to me. Most of my problems arose getting my head around the Save As and Export File options. All good now and I'm in pocket compared to CC having bought it in January.

David
Old 24th June 2017

Liked 224 Times in 122 Posts

Previous thread is here

https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45232

David
Old 24th June 2017

Thanks for the link David. Still undecided whether to buy or not. Still got nine days to play with it before I decide. IW.
Old 26th June 2017

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

We got Affinity and are finding it really good, you can also add in the nix software plugins making it more versatile.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cas69 For This Useful Post:
IPWheatley (26th June 2017)
Old 26th June 2017

Thanks to those who replied to my question re Affinity software. After playing with it over the weekend I have decided to stick with Adobe CC. Found Affinity a bit clunky and slower than Adobe and did not much like the save and export part of it, know I would have lost my temper with it sooner rather than later. When you weigh it up Adobe costs less than a pint of beer a week so its still worth it. Thanks again, IW.
The Following User Says Thank You to IPWheatley For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (26th June 2017)
Old 27th June 2017

Liked 490 Times in 347 Posts

Good point about relative cost of beer versus Adobe CC, however as it is a while since I have been to a pub for a beer my memory of buying beer was 3/6d a pint.

My only concern with Adobe CC is that when you hang up your camera and cease your subscription, you are locked out of seeing the developed images (I think or fear). Which is like the benefit of the beer you drank last week.