Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd March 2016

Liked 2,056 Times in 1,361 Posts
Internet Explorer Puzzle

I am currently using IE 11 x64 on my Windows 8.1 machines, but I keep on seeing the following message:

"This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your version of Internet Explorer".

Just to confuse things further, I saw a similar message on my iPad 2yesterday advising me that my version of Safari was out of date.

I thought IE11 was the latest version of Internet Explorer, and I certainly cannot find anything later online. This is beginning to cause me problems as certain websites (i.e. Barclays Online Banking) are refusing to work on my browsers.

All machines are kept fully up to date with the latest updates and patches etc.

However, I am working abroad at present (using either 4G or hotel WiFi), which seems to be prompting some of these messages but I don't know if that should make any difference?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2nd March 2016

Liked 490 Times in 347 Posts
Re: Internet Explorer Puzzle

more likely the website has not been updated - try using Firefox on the 'dose machine - or Chrome.
Naughty Nigel (2nd March 2016)
Old 2nd March 2016

Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,319 Posts
Liked 1,192 Times in 803 Posts

Short answer - don't know. But are you routing through a server designed to "speed up" your connection which is compressing data and maybe loosing some information whereby the client browser tells the host web server what its capabilities are?
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd March 2016

Liked 690 Times in 465 Posts

Barclays website does it to me as well - I am bang up to date with everything as far as I know (desktop system with Win 10 and IE 11). As long as it doesn't refuse to work I just ignore it.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd March 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 990 Posts
Liked 1,841 Times in 1,031 Posts

If all all else fails, use Google Chrome instead.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd March 2016

Liked 345 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I thought IE11 was the latest version of Internet Explorer, and I certainly cannot find anything later online. This is beginning to cause me problems as certain websites (i.e. Barclays Online Banking) are refusing to work on my browsers.
(snip)
However, I am working abroad at present (using either 4G or hotel WiFi), which seems to be prompting some of these messages but I don't know if that should make any difference?
IE11 is the latest version and if you're is like mine on Windows 8.1 it's set to auto update itself (check in the settings>about).
It's quite likely the sites are using out of date browser identification and are not actually recognising a later version as such so spit out a generic "not supported" message.

Microsoft have brought out a "new" browser called Edge on Windows 10. I came across a web conferencing site yesterday that flat out refused to load with it saying it "needed IE". I had to use Chrome in the end.

As others have said it's possible that the hotel and more likely the 4G network are using compression and proxies which are messing up the browser identification.

You can force IE11 to emulate earlier versions - press F12 to bring up the developer console and choose the "Emulate" tab to pick another version. It's really a web developer tool so I wouldn't choose to use it for anything as sensitive as banking.

I work loosely in corporate web development and there is an industry wide snobbery about IE so as others have said you might like to keep either Chrome or Firefox installed as a standby. They happily co-exist with other browsers once you've told them all they can't be the default browser
I use Chrome, Firefox and IE which allows me to pretend to be 3 users at once - accessing 3 gmail accounts without having to log in repeatedly.
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (2nd March 2016)
Old 2nd March 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,513 Times in 862 Posts

I use Firefox on a 15 year old XP laptop. It all the moving graphic adverts that bugger up most things.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 2nd March 2016

Liked 115 Times in 84 Posts

Count yourself lucky.
On my work PC I have to use IE8. Messages about incompatable browsers are almost as common as pages that let me see something.
Apparently issues with the PC prevent updating it without major reconfiguration (a swapout to allow this has been pending for months).
I'd much prefer to use Chrome or Firefox but don't have the rights to install them.
Isn't it great to work in R&D ?!?
Old 2nd March 2016

Liked 2,056 Times in 1,361 Posts

Thanks everyone. I thought it was me!

I have been seeing these messages for a while now, and just ignored them. The laptop is only a few months old and is always kept updated so I was surprised to see that IE11 was out of date as I wasn't aware of IE12 or similar.

What concerned me was the message from Barclays today that suggested I could log in now, but wouldn't be able to do so again (because of the outdated browser).

I think I will take your combined advice to install Chrome. The only reason I have not done so is that I have a deep distrust of Google, who already know far too much about me and my shopping habits, showering me with emails from Amazon whenever I do a Google search.

I really wouldn't want Google poking around when I am online to the bank as they would probably want to sell me an umbrella, and then snatch it back when it rains (rather like the bank)!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2nd March 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 990 Posts
Liked 1,841 Times in 1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Thanks everyone. I thought it was me!

I have been seeing these messages for a while now, and just ignored them. The laptop is only a few months old and is always kept updated so I was surprised to see that IE11 was out of date as I wasn't aware of IE12 or similar.

What concerned me was the message from Barclays today that suggested I could log in now, but wouldn't be able to do so again (because of the outdated browser).

I think I will take your combined advice to install Chrome. The only reason I have not done so is that I have a deep distrust of Google, who already know far too much about me and my shopping habits, showering me with emails from Amazon whenever I do a Google search.

I really wouldn't want Google poking around when I am online to the bank as they would probably want to sell me an umbrella, and then snatch it back when it rains (rather like the bank)!
When installed go to Show advanced settings & turn off undesirable options, such as Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed.

If in doubt about any settings I'm sure you will get the right advice here.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (2nd March 2016), OM USer (2nd March 2016)