Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 28th December 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,063 Times in 2,381 Posts
Liked 4,278 Times in 2,011 Posts
Street Life

More practise at street photography and B&W processing. Comments appreciated.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th December 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,513 Times in 862 Posts
Re: Street Life

I like street photography, but don't do enough of it to develope a style.

Because I have an easily distracted eye, anything that catches it in the background soon becomes unwanted and often gets cropped or "processed".

In the first picture consider cropping the partial M&S sign on the LHS. There was something grabbing the attention of the people as several on the RHS (and the girl) are looking out to the RHS of you image. The man striding towards you clearly has you in his sight and hopefully was only showing a passing interest.

I like #2 as there is a classic link between the yawning and the yacking
Again I'd knock out the Boots Sign (unless there's a good reason for keeping it in the composition)

#3 is so different from the rest that I'm not sure how it fits in the series, but it works on its own. I'd probably have gone for "Ultra-Wide" or post processed in even more perspective shift.

The forth is a great subject and works really well as there seems to be some tension between the two at the front and the rear rider, almost as if they are blocking his progress.

in #5 the two girls are well positioned, although you would drop a point for chopping off the shoe Again the sign is distracting my eye, but being that there's two girls and two words, maybe a counterpoint that you are going for.

You've kept the best to last, and that is always a good thing...
Catching expressions is one of my favorite things and this one is excellent.
I'd have cropped the LHS to remove that extra person but left the departing couple as a hint to the "loneliness" that I see depicted. Great capture

I've always thought that with any type of photography there is a reason behind the production of the image(s) and if we look to the latest Turner awards and others, the "Story" that is associated with the pictures, places them into context. Others of course insist that the picture should stand alone on it's own merit. Either way it all makes for good discussion.

Well done John and as always thanks for showing them.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 28th December 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

A nice set. I especially like the lads on bikes, and the elderly lady. The chap in the first photo with his hands in his pockets looks like he's coming to get you!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 28th December 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I like street photography, but don't do enough of it to develope a style.

Because I have an easily distracted eye, anything that catches it in the background soon becomes unwanted and often gets cropped or "processed".

In the first picture consider cropping the partial M&S sign on the LHS. There was something grabbing the attention of the people as several on the RHS (and the girl) are looking out to the RHS of you image. The man striding towards you clearly has you in his sight and hopefully was only showing a passing interest.

I like #2 as there is a classic link between the yawning and the yacking
Again I'd knock out the Boots Sign (unless there's a good reason for keeping it in the composition)

#3 is so different from the rest that I'm not sure how it fits in the series, but it works on its own. I'd probably have gone for "Ultra-Wide" or post processed in even more perspective shift.

The forth is a great subject and works really well as there seems to be some tension between the two at the front and the rear rider, almost as if they are blocking his progress.

in #5 the two girls are well positioned, although you would drop a point for chopping off the shoe Again the sign is distracting my eye, but being that there's two girls and two words, maybe a counterpoint that you are going for.

You've kept the best to last, and that is always a good thing...
Catching expressions is one of my favorite things and this one is excellent.
I'd have cropped the LHS to remove that extra person but left the departing couple as a hint to the "loneliness" that I see depicted. Great capture

I've always thought that with any type of photography there is a reason behind the production of the image(s) and if we look to the latest Turner awards and others, the "Story" that is associated with the pictures, places them into context. Others of course insist that the picture should stand alone on it's own merit. Either way it all makes for good discussion.

Well done John and as always thanks for showing them.

Graham, thanks for such detailed critique, it really is appreciated. I am having trouble with "street" backgrounds; there just isn't the time to always consider what's behind when grabbing a shot, particularly when shooting from the hip. At the moment I'm trying to get used to one focal length, 14mm, although 17mm might prove better. Also, shooting at f5.6, whilst great for ensuring the subject is in focus, does ensure most backgrounds are sharp when perhaps it would be better if they weren't.

Thanks for the suggested crops to exclude distracting signs. Are these an improvement? I also cropped "Umbrellor Man" to exclude the purposeful looking man in the background who seemed to cause a distraction. After landscapes, street is a whole new challenge and I definitely need a combination of good advice and more practise.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th December 2012
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very nice John, number 3 is really good andy fav from the set
Old 28th December 2012

Liked 123 Times in 66 Posts

Fantastic shots. I haven't been brave enough to try street photography yet. I guess the articulated screen of the E-M5 helps though! Did you use Silver Efex on these?

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Old 28th December 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadus View Post
Fantastic shots. I haven't been brave enough to try street photography yet. I guess the articulated screen of the E-M5 helps though! Did you use Silver Efex on these?
Hi Roger, yes all processed in Silver Efex, using various "film" presets. All shot from the hip, blind, at 14mm. I'm starting to get used to what distance from my subject I should press the shutter for this focal length.

Old 29th December 2012

Liked 849 Times in 305 Posts

An inspiring set John, I've never tried this sort of close quarters street photography
I particularly like 1, 4 and 5.
I wondered if the guy walking towards you in the first shot had tumbled your game

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr