Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 21st February 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,339 Posts
Liked 4,155 Times in 1,944 Posts
I'm Giving Up

An important decision was made for me today; I was informed by the Department for Work and Pensions that, following the withdrawal of Employment Support Allowance, I apparently do not qualify for Job Seekerís Allowance either. I continue to apply for jobs without success but, to be honest, Iím really not sure how I would cope if I did get one.

This will put a further strain on my finances but I should just about survive if I make some economies. My car will have to be sold, once Iíve had all the niggling little faults repaired, and I think I also need to give up photography.

I must admit that Iíve been battling a lack of inspiration and motivation for a while and itís unlikely Iíll be able to visit my favourite places again anyway. Itís ironic that this should coincide with my exhibition, which has been quite successful, but maybe itís better to bow out on a high rather than wallow in past glories.

During the next few weeks I will dig out boxes and manuals, etc. for my equipment and consider prices. I will probably be selling the following:-

Four Thirds
E-3
9-18mm
14-54mm

Micro Four Thirds
E-P3
14-42mm
40-150mm

Panny 14-45mm

There might also be a FT 70-300mm if I can wrestle it back from my daughter!

Iím tempted to keep a body and one lens but I think Iíll need every penny I can get and it is probably best to make a clean break, that way Iíll be less inclined to pine for the type of photography I can no longer do and places I can no longer go. My wife will still have an E-510 and 14-42mm anyway.

I canít really complain; Iíve had a super life, enjoyed some fantastic experiences, visited many amazing places and taken a lot of photographs that really please me. I have very few regrets, I donít even regret getting Parkinsonís because that was beyond my control. My biggest regret is never having shot with a Nikon! Only joking ( ), my biggest regret is that I never climbed An Teallach while I was able; Iíll never do it now.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st February 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: I'm Giving Up

John, I want to say "don't give up yet" ... there must be ways in which you can continue your Appeal and Fight ? Have you asked CAB or the Parkinsons organisations for help ?

You have Talent and Skills in abundance and it would be SUCH A CRYING SHAME
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 21st February 2012
Xpres

Quite a knock John but don't give up on photography! Don't be too hasty! I'll bet you find some sort of job before long and end up regretting parting with all your stuff. Give in to temptation and keep one of the cameras.
Old 21st February 2012

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Sorry John

I understand your mood but I think you are making a wrong decision.

Even if your cameras are not giving you much joy at the moment, that will change. Disposing of them will give you a comparatively small short term financial gain, to be set against what will be a considerable loss in future enjoyment.

Start a project, do something that will make you take pictures - even if you don't feel like it.

Rather than dispose of your cameras I'd suggest a 365 (or at least a 52), you wont enjoy it, but that's no loss as you don't sound as if you are enjoying much at the moment.

I have rather more sympathy than I'm allowing this reply to portray. But my sympathy and concern will not countenance you making this mistake.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 21st February 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,448 Times in 836 Posts

John,

I'm having real trouble expressing how sorry I am to hear this. I know others who know you better will say more and say it better.

You have my very best wishes.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 21st February 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

John, this is evil.

Please don't make any decisions so soon after this kick in the teeth. If you do give up the car there are quite a few of us in Essex, and I bet we could make a few expeditions together. You simply cannot give up something you love.

I think you should take the tuition idea very seriously. Maybe become a tutor for adult education. I bet you could offer courses. Even online classes or something. Might not bring in much but it might help.
Old 21st February 2012

Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts

Parkinson's disease has this effect ... I guess that's almost inevitable when things get harder to do, effort makes you more and more tired as it progresses.
My father has practically given up his oil painting now, but he also feels no regret, and that's an important attitude!
Good on you for making such an effort thus far!
Old 21st February 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Sorry John

I understand your mood but I think you are making a wrong decision.

I have rather more sympathy than I'm allowing this reply to portray. But my sympathy and concern will not countenance you making this mistake.

Nick

Nick, succinctly put !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 21st February 2012

Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts

Decide in haste and repent at leisure ...
You are in a place I have not been so I will not make suggestions of what you should do...except to tell you what I think you should not do..keep at least one camera system...
Old 21st February 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

John,
It is very sad to hear of your troubles, both with your health and our State. I don't know whether your decision to give up photography is a knee jerk reaction to this recent news or the culmination of an ongoing thought process.
I have no idea how I would face your future but I would seriously take stock of a hobby which seems to have given you so much pleasure and enjoyment over the years.
I can understand the desire to get cut down on expenses, 'liquidate' some assets etc but one thing I really like about photography with digital cameras is that, apart from outright purchases, it can be a very economical hobby.
I now have thousands of images which have made me notice the world around me, from landscape to macro, field to building, sports to wildlife. The side benefits for my health and well being have been a major plus as well.
I understand where Nick is coming from with his comments that your interest in photography will come back, and to tackle the hobby in another way. I would also suggest that you give some time to reflect on what you have achieved, seriously consider what you can still do, and consider darker days without your beloved hobby.
I think you will receive messages of support and suggestions from various posters on this forum, and I imagine many of them will wonder how they would deal with this siutation, but personally I would not be without a camera these days as there are tangible benefits that money just doesn't buy.
Whatever you choose to do I hope that things improve in some way going forward.
Kind regards

More gear than I need, less gear than I want!
Old 21st February 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you may choose to stop your photography but i don't think(from reading here) that you are the type to "give up". this e-group has some really kind and careing people in it and at least one has already mentioned ways of getting around with others and more have reminded you of other options available to you. true, it is your choice but choose don't surrender. will keep you in my nightly thoughts. larry
Old 21st February 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm not eloquent enough to put down all my feelings in writing, but you must hang onto what you have proven you can do. That is your photography and your ability to teach, encourage and inspire others. That's all.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 21st February 2012

Liked 64 Times in 36 Posts

John, please don't give up. The 'running costs' of digital photography are very small and as others have pointed out you will get only a one off short term gain by selling. At least keep your Micro 4/3.

You have my sincere sympathy and hopes.

Kindest regards

Flickr
Old 21st February 2012

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

John, I can only say that when I decided to sell off my camera equipment quite recently due to my own ill health, reduced mobility and just general disillusionment I regretted it very quickly.
You don't realise what you've got until it's gone - even if you're not using it at the time - and if, like me, you realise you've made a wrong decision then economically it's even harder to start again.
Good luck with whatever you ultimately decide though.
Best wishes
Old 21st February 2012
Stock Shooter

Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts

John, I really sorry to hear of your situation, it must look a very bleak outlook for you just now.

I would however urge you to keep at least some photo equipment. I don't see how you could walk away from a lifetimes hobby.

Getting rid of a car to save money makes good sense the running costs and depreciation are expensive. But those cameras will last a long time and their running costs are very low. If you are not job seeking you will have more time for photography but will have to adjust to the new transport arrangements.

I would hate for a talented photographer like your self to give up because of the jerks in the job centre.....

Take your time don't rush out of here!

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses