Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work

Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work This board concentrates on topics that explore the potential of your photography being seen by a wider audience and even earning you some money.

Old 7th June 2011

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Alternative income source

AS well as stock photo's I have been experimenting with Print on Demand products.

Initially I was using photo's, sales have been very low and probably not worth the effort, just the odd postcard etc.

e.g. http://www.zazzle.com/curious_cow_po...27417111654615

I have made a few business cards, stickers etc using gimp to create simple graphics . These have done surprisingly well given my total lack of talent as an illustrator, my best one has earned me about $40 so far, not bad for 20 minutes work.

If you have some skill as a graphic artist I'm sure this could be quite a lucrative use of "downtime".
Old 7th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,063 Times in 2,381 Posts
Liked 4,277 Times in 2,011 Posts
Re: Alternative income source

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponner View Post
AS well as stock photo's I have been experimenting with Print on Demand products.

Initially I was using photo's, sales have been very low and probably not worth the effort, just the odd postcard etc.

e.g. http://www.zazzle.com/curious_cow_po...27417111654615

I have made a few business cards, stickers etc using gimp to create simple graphics . These have done surprisingly well given my total lack of talent as an illustrator, my best one has earned me about $40 so far, not bad for 20 minutes work.

If you have some skill as a graphic artist I'm sure this could be quite a lucrative use of "downtime".
That's interesting. How do you tap into the market for business cards and stickers?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th June 2011

mainly on zazzle and another American site for business cards, Art of Business Cards (Zazzle is the better earner though). There may be other outlets, I haven't really looked into it that far yet.

I'm not talking mega bucks, like anything to make serious money you would have to invest serious time and or talent.

I have seen dicussion about some decent money being earned designing wedding stationary sets etc. Most of my sales so far have been in the US.
Old 7th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,063 Times in 2,381 Posts
Liked 4,277 Times in 2,011 Posts

Thanks Sponner, I don't know if I'll make use of it but it identifies another market I didn't even know existed!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th June 2011

Zuiko,

I only have my experience to go by, for me just pocket money nothing more.

I enjoyed the process of designing business cards etc so the financial reward is a bonus, the nice thing is I haven't done any for a while and a few quid keeps dropping in every week or so.

Just to give you an idea here is my Zazzle page

http://www.zazzle.com/sponner*?tc=238420872678252952

Active since March, not many designs as you can see, earnings to date about $80, not quite time to tell my boss what I really think of him
Old 25th October 2011
thisisgazza

Sounds a bit of a waste of time?

Im a graphic designer, few years ago I was doing business cards by the bucket load for my job. What i cant understand is why companies would buy from them because a business card is all about there branding isnt it. I suppose not all business are that bothered though.

Do zazzle promote you designs or does a customer have to search through billions of designs before getting to yours?
Old 9th November 2011

they search on key words for an design that suits their needs.

I can't really understand why people don't use their ownbranding but I'm not complaining.
Old 1st August 2013

Just to revive a dead thread I am now up to $1300 actually paid, talk about money for old rope!
Melaka (2nd August 2013)
Old 1st August 2013
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well done man thats excellent
Old 2nd August 2013

Thanked 1,290 Times in 1,201 Posts
Liked 1,972 Times in 958 Posts

That sounds really good. A slow trickle of money eventually adds up to some serious photo gear
Old 2nd August 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

"Publishing" is the BEST form of income ! You do it once and sell it many times ka ching

I am looking at setting up a print offer ... with my friend in Jakarta - you would not BELIEVE how cheap top Quality Paper and Print is - out in the Asian-Pacific rim.

I have never found a Business that "you can just sit back" which generates "a good living"

SELLING is a major part of business, any business and if you do not sell you go under

Niche or be niched

So I decided to set up just local - which suits me - this does not provide a good living (by my standards) but enough for 2 x substantial holidays a year !

Everytime, I walk out my door, I am "Selling" ... be I asking if I may photograph some exquisite flower in their garden ... walterfall and pond or just talking to my neighbours - they are reminded of my Card Shop & Trusty box and going to village Fetes I distribute lots of my business cards and build up a "new following" ... and SALES -

However, I do ALSO offer BESPOKE CARDS too ... Decoupage 3D or 6D and A4 cards for Wedding ... or Christening ... 18th - 65th - these are expensive but most often framed
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album