Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 5th June 2011

Liked 659 Times in 279 Posts
Two E5 problems

I've got two problems with my E5.:
Lock-up - sometimes after 5minutes or so use the thing locks up, none of the buttons respond and I have to power it off and on again. I've not managed to identify any settings which make it happen. Anyone seen this behavior?

The camera fell off the car seat onto the road with the 50-200 attached. The lens seems ok - it didn't have it's hood on, but the filter on the front broke and presumably took the edge-on impact. (I don't normally keep a filter on lenses, but this was on when I bought it from Andy-R and I'd just left it - thanks Andy!). The only damage to the camera seems to be the glass viewfinder cover, which has cracked down one side. The viewfinder seems to work ok other than the broken glass. It looks like a feasible job to replace the glass if I can get a spare - anyone know how to do this?

cheers

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 5th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,064 Times in 2,382 Posts
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,017 Posts
Re: Two E5 problems

Oh dear, that's bad news. Sorry to hear this, John. If anyone stocks spare glass it's likely to be Luton Cameras, how you go about it is another matter. Bearing in mind the lock up problem, unfortunately it may be time for an early trip back to Olympus. The lock up will be under guarantee and if you speak to them nicely you may get the new glass free!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th June 2011
Bobpatchcott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
I've got two problems with my E5.:
Lock-up - sometimes after 5minutes or so use the thing locks up, none of the buttons respond and I have to power it off and on again. I've not managed to identify any settings which make it happen. Anyone seen this behavior?

The camera fell off the car seat onto the road with the 50-200 attached. The lens seems ok - it didn't have it's hood on, but the filter on the front broke and presumably took the edge-on impact. (I don't normally keep a filter on lenses, but this was on when I bought it from Andy-R and I'd just left it - thanks Andy!). The only damage to the camera seems to be the glass viewfinder cover, which has cracked down one side. The viewfinder seems to work ok other than the broken glass. It looks like a feasible job to replace the glass if I can get a spare - anyone know how to do this?

cheers
Bad luck mate
there are two schools of thought when it comes to using filters to protect the front element of a lens some never use them some always do and having had a similar experience myself a few years ago needless to say I always do.
I can't help you with how to repair it I'm sorry to say but would suggest Luton Cameras as a good place for spares and repairs for Olympus.
I realise none of the above is very helpful but I wish you the best of luck in getting your problem sorted.
Regards Bob
Old 5th June 2011

Thanked 1,261 Times in 992 Posts
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,031 Posts

I managed to break the viewfinder glass in an E410 & the glass was not available by itself but as a viewfinder eyepiece assembly. It contained the diopter adjustment section with it & as a unit, was easily removed with 2 screws. I don't know how the E3 & E5 assemblies are made, but I would imagine the assembly would be available as a spare part for those models too.

I'm sorry to hear of your mishap & hope it is all fixed without too much expense.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 5th June 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Sorry to hear of this trauma ! I do not use the viewfinder, as the Metering via Live Screen p.46 on digital esp metering ! there is a little slide control at the diopter to shut it off !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 5th June 2011

Thanks all. I've fired a mail off to Luton Cameras, who I've used before for the little bits that drop off (flash/remote socket covers, rubber eyepieces). The whole diopter/glass/viewfinder cover assembly looks to be one part, but there are no screws. Presumably it's different to the 410 because of splashproofing. I notice on the Katzeye site, the 410 can be fitted with a new focussing screen by the end user, but they recommend that the E3/E30 are done by a professional. Sounds like the cam's going on a little trip , I just hope they don't blame the lockup problem on teh incident that knakcered the viewfinder. Maybe they'll do as Zuiko suggested and just stick another glass in gratis, it does look possible with the right tools. One can hope.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

Flickr gallery
Old 6th June 2011
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This lockup seems to be an Olympus "feature" - I've had it on both E1 and E3. For the E3 I think I read a report (probably here) mentioning that the combination of IS "on" and continuous shooting was the culprit (although it's not guaranteed to cause the lockup).

Since reading that I've used either (but not both) and - so far - lockups have become much rarer, but I may just have been lucky.

I think it's something in the firmware (which probably has much common code from model to model).

Something else which has seemed to improve my E3 reliability is new batteries, even though the old ones appeared to be taking and holding charge well enough.
Old 6th June 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Bowman View Post
This lockup seems to be an Olympus "feature" - I've had it on both E1 and E3. For the E3 I think I read a report (probably here) mentioning that the combination of IS "on" and continuous shooting was the culprit (although it's not guaranteed to cause the lockup).

Since reading that I've used either (but not both) and - so far - lockups have become much rarer, but I may just have been lucky.

I think it's something in the firmware (which probably has much common code from model to model).

Something else which has seemed to improve my E3 reliability is new batteries, even though the old ones appeared to be taking and holding charge well enough.

NOW this is interesting and maybe my "GHOSTING" was because of IS on and continous shooting ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 6th June 2011

Well that could be it, when walking I often leave the cam on with IS and C-AF for any wildlife I may chance on. I'll keep an eye on that one.

I've had an idea for the glass. If I can get the old broken glass off, I could try and cut a square off a cheap UV filter and stick it on with a thin strip of double sided tape. The glass fits in from the outside, it isn't recessed. So long as it's showerproof.

Flickr gallery
Old 7th June 2011

I got in touch with Luton Cameras. 10 for the Viewfinder Glass Assembly, but it screws in from the inside

So 50 + VAT + PP for them to fix it, which is what I'll do. I can't see Oly being cheaper or quicker, although I have to wait a month for the part. I can live with the problem for the moment and hopefully it'll only be away for a couple of days.

Anybody know what the Oly rate is? Anyone had Luton do a repair?

thanks all for the advice.

Flickr gallery
Old 18th June 2011

Liked 1,162 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
NOW this is interesting and maybe my "GHOSTING" was because of IS on and continous shooting ?
I haven't heard this in connection with Oly cameras and I've never suffered myself, but I've also got a Nikon D300 and its a well-known gotcha that these can lock up and do other strange things if you change lenses with both the camera and the (in-lens) image stabilization switched 'on'.

I've got in to the habit now of switching all my cameras off before changing lenses: its one more thing to do if you're in a hurry, but you do get the additional advantage of a sensor clean.

[BTW I used Luton cameras years ago when my OM-1 went for a run down Helvelyn rather more quickly than I had intended. They replaced the cracked viewfinder promptly and cheaply, as I remember]

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.

Last edited by drmarkf; 18th June 2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Forgot to say something!
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (18th June 2011)
Old 18th June 2011

Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
... sometimes after 5minutes or so use the thing locks up, none of the buttons respond and I have to power it off and on again.
OK, first thing : after lurkifying around the Leica forums far more than is healthy I've seen a similar problem solved by chucking that battery and getting a couple of new or aftermarket ones ... and only using them at rather full charge.

Second thing : your paltry 1000 camera is now behaving more like an exclusive 7000 camera!

I hope the battery thing helps.
Old 18th June 2011

Liked 1,162 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Second thing : your paltry 1000 camera is now behaving more like an exclusive 7000 camera!

A while ago I developed some half-baked notion that I might dump all my Oly and Nikon kit and drop the proceeds on said 'exclusive' machine.

Our LCS (the excellent Campkins in Cambridge) let me have a prolonged play with one and, yes, they feel solid, the controls work deliciously smoothly, it makes a nicely quiet 'clrack' shutter sound and the full-frame images are really nice.
However it feels like you're holding a brick, focusing the 35mm f2 is awkward with the silly little slot-thingy for your thumb, and it seized up (needing a battery-out reset) while I was playing with it. I also felt quite vulnerable holding something in town that cost twice as much as my wife's car.

The Leica forums had a lot of complaints of software glitches, although I expect they've solved these now.

I'm sticking with the economical junk for now, thanks!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 19th June 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Second thing : your paltry 1000 camera is now behaving more like an exclusive 7000 camera! ...
If I had a 7000 camera I'd only drop it

Flickr gallery
Old 19th June 2011

If I had a 7000 camera I'd just drop it.

Flickr gallery