Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 21st March 2017

Liked 542 Times in 196 Posts
Re: Generating new interest in photo challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It hadn't occurred to me that some people are deterred from entering by the responsibility of setting and judging the next competition if they win
Must admit my first thought when I was lucky enough to win a challenge was 'Oh Lordy I've got to come up with the next subject and judge it'.
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 789 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Totally agree.
I don't understand why this site works like this, its not rocket science.

I have lost count of the number of times I have started a post and then realised I have to go to the Gallery first to upload a file and get the link. So frustrating.
This site allows you to have two open sessions (or more). At least on my mac.

Just open a second tab or window on your browser. And enter the site again in the new window, upload what you want and copy the link across to the first tab or window. If you are unhappy using tabs then you could have two small windows.

I often need to copy and paste and assumed it was the normal way to work.

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Totally agree.
I don't understand why this site works like this, its not rocket science.

I have lost count of the number of times I have started a post and then realised I have to go to the Gallery first to upload a file and get the link. So frustrating.
HEY Guys- maybe we are getting to the real point, MAKE IT EASY TO PARTICIPATE. BUT I'll give you the real clincher for getting more people to participate - RULE 1 - Submissions must not include ANY post processing PP (except maybe cropping). This would eliminate all entries that were the result of clever computer manipulation by people who have those 'skills', AND allow the rest of us to feel relaxed about things we put up. RULE 2 - Shots have to be taken in the month of the 'competition'.

Judging - probably by vote - but it would be more constructive if comments had to accompany each vote.

Themes - There have been lots of (complicated) ideas on this. How about A-Z - that would give us 2 years of subjects, no problem.

Please, the Forum would feel much more inclusive and lively if a solution was found for this process
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 671 Times in 455 Posts

Interesting suggestions, but may I offer one observation: the previous version of the regular forum challenges had almost exactly iso's Rule 2 - that the shots had to be taken during the competition period. I'm pretty sure that this was one of the factors which put some people off and I think it was explicitly mentioned in the discussions at the time (although I'm not going to trawl the old posts just to check).

I don't mention this to condemn it as a bad idea. Rules like this are neither good nor bad, they just lead to different types of challenge which in turn will appeal to people with different interests. It offer the challenge of going out to make a new image to meet the theme, and for quite a while a lot of people relished it. But the enthusiasm gradually fell away, and that was one of the requirements that was relaxed in the current incarnation.

If we think that judging and having a "winner" is important, then my feeling is that having it voted on is better than putting the responsibility on the organiser. But of course it only works if people can be enthused to vote, which many weren't by the end of the previous version.

John
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 101 Times in 57 Posts

Entry price could be a vote?
It may be best to hide the votes until the closing date and have a grand reveal at the end
Having not read the small print of the rules, in the past I think I posted some from flickr.
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,134 Posts

Can't agree with ISO rule one about no PP'ing. That would eliminate those of us who shoot in RAW. A bit of tweaking is part of the modern photo process I would have thought.

Voting for the best or "most liked" is probably as good a way as any. But nice to comments made as well.

Subjects are kinda seasonal, with the odd wildcard in slow times of year. Admin might suggest or set those..

MJ
(new Mk2 owner with a will to photo if the weather turns good!)

My Flickr
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 1,137 Times in 564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
This site allows you to have two open sessions (or more). At least on my mac.

Just open a second tab or window on your browser. And enter the site again in the new window, upload what you want and copy the link across to the first tab or window. If you are unhappy using tabs then you could have two small windows.

I often need to copy and paste and assumed it was the normal way to work.

Peter
Thats exactly what I do, its totally time wasting and unnecessary. Why do I have to go through all that? On other sites you simply click on the "upload photo button" and select the photo from your computer and.. er ... upload ?

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
art frames (21st March 2017), iso (22nd March 2017)
Old 21st March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
HEY Guys- maybe we are getting to the real point, MAKE IT EASY TO PARTICIPATE. BUT I'll give you the real clincher for getting more people to participate - RULE 1 - Submissions must not include ANY post processing PP (except maybe cropping). This would eliminate all entries that were the result of clever computer manipulation by people who have those 'skills', AND allow the rest of us to feel relaxed about things we put up. RULE 2 - Shots have to be taken in the month of the 'competition'.

Judging - probably by vote - but it would be more constructive if comments had to accompany each vote.

Themes - There have been lots of (complicated) ideas on this. How about A-Z - that would give us 2 years of subjects, no problem.

Please, the Forum would feel much more inclusive and lively if a solution was found for this process
Not being allowed to use post processing? does that apply to film as well>?
If it was film would we insist on a fixed set of enlarger and developer settings? Think not - we are in the digital age and digital post processing is todays equivalent of the film development process.

If you vote then I agree a comment would be nice to say why but hard to enforce.

I also think a simple list of subjects 12, 52, 365 or whatever would work.

My Flickr
Old 21st March 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,007 Times in 2,338 Posts
Liked 4,150 Times in 1,940 Posts

Quote:
Thats exactly what I do, its totally time wasting and unnecessary. Why do I have to go through all that? On other sites you simply click on the "upload photo button" and select the photo from your computer and.. er ... upload ?
That is something for Ian to look into, to decide if it is feasible on this site or desirable.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
iso (22nd March 2017)
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,134 Posts

If this has worked, it was not difficult to do.............

But the limiting thing of the gallery on this site is the file size. The gallery limits it too 512kb. My preference would be twice that, at the most. I use the Resize Picture programme on Windows to reduce large jpegs......

My Flickr
Old 21st March 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post

But the limiting thing of the gallery on this site is the file size. The gallery limits it too 512kb. My preference would be twice that, at the most. I use the Resize Picture programme on Windows to reduce large jpegs......
The problem I have with files bigger than 512kb is that often the picture is too big to fit on my screen. Bigger files don't necessarily mean more resolution, just bigger pictures.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post

Compared to other sites I really don't understand why we have to use the convoluted "gallery first" process. Other sites simply allow you to upload directly into a post. Maybe the owners of the site have a storage limit, which if thats the case then I understand.

Second point: Considering everyone is viewing the image on the web then the 512Kb limit is not a big issue for me. Anyone would really struggle to see a difference between a 512KB and a 1024KB image viewed normally. If you pixel peep at say 200% magnification you might see some difference in the odd one.

My Flickr
iso (22nd March 2017)
Old 21st March 2017
Administrator

See separate thread about new Monthly Photo Challenge & E-System User Photographer of the Year.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44582

Old 21st March 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Now the debate has partly moved back to the question of the current site gallery it is worth re-reading Ian's opening post where he explains the problem of finding an alternative gallery system that will integrate with the forum software.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Zuiko (21st March 2017)
Old 22nd March 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
The problem I have with files bigger than 512kb is that often the picture is too big to fit on my screen. Bigger files don't necessarily mean more resolution, just bigger pictures.
John,sorry that isn't the case. Resizing the image dimensions and changing the file size are two different things. If you resize an image to have say 1,000 pixels across to fit the screen it will have a file size that depends on both the level of detail and, more importantly the degree of JPEG compression. When you re-save the file after re-sizing you should have the option in your software (Elements?) to change the degree of compression ( may be called "quality") which will enable you to change the file size to less than 512 kb. The file size does not affect the size of the image.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (22nd March 2017)
Zuiko (22nd March 2017)