Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 16th June 2018

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
My selection of lenses for everything?

I was discussing my choice of lenses on another forum and the single consistent problem people have with my 'selection' is that there are no fast primes!

Now personally I've never really wanted any fast primes, I moved to digital from medium (6x7cm) format where in that context everything was a fast prime and shallow DoF was a bit of a curse. One of the best things about the MFT format for me is the lack of shallow depth of field. I can't think of the last time I thought to myself when taking pictures, "...what I really need to use here is a fast prime..." very happy with my selection of glass

Top picture L to R: Pan/Leica 100-400, Olympus 40-150 pro, the Panasonic Lumix 14-140 and finally the only lens I consider a bit of an indulgence as I know it won't get that much use, the Olympus 7-14 pro. In the context of focal range the 40-150 pro is more or less duplicated by the 14-140, but it is absolutely superb as a studio lens and the only element of money that I consider a waste was that I bought it with the MC-14 teleconverter, which TBH never gets used!

Old 16th June 2018

Liked 170 Times in 87 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: My selection of lenses for everything?

Unless you're a wide angle fan, and assuming sufficient depth of pocket, you can do pretty much everything you want with the Oly 12-100 and the Panny 100-400.

EM1, EM5 II
The Following Users Liked This Post:
griffljg (25th June 2018), MJ224 (18th June 2018)
Old 16th June 2018

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
Unless you're a wide angle fan, and assuming sufficient depth of pocket, you can do pretty much everything you want with the Oly 12-100 and the Panny 100-400.

I dismissed the Olympus 12-100 as my everyday lens as it was TBH just to hefty for what I wanted. I do however love the build, image quality and feel of the Olympus pro range, it's far superior to the Leica branded Panasonics which look great but never really feel as good! For me the Panasonic 14-140 feels supremely cheap and tacky for something that cost over £500 and makes me realise just how good VFM the Olympus pro zooms are in comparison, but the 14-140 is great for what I want it to do.

It will be interesting in a years time to analyse how I use the 100-400 as so far 95% of the time it's only at 400mm, so might be tempted by the Olympus 300 Pro to replace it, especially as I already have the 1.4 teleconverter.
Old 18th June 2018

Liked 170 Times in 87 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I have the 100-400 and the 300/4+1.4. I use the former for safaris where animals vary in size and range; and the latter for birds which are usually small and distant.

EM1, EM5 II
The Following Users Liked This Post:
benvendetta (19th June 2018), griffljg (25th June 2018)