Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 5th June 2018

Liked 379 Times in 138 Posts
Panasonic UK repair policy

Sorry didn't know the right place to post this.

This may leave some questions unanswered but it is looking better.Lets hope the right support is in place now.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61221055
Old 5th June 2018

Thanked 1,013 Times in 770 Posts
Liked 4,528 Times in 1,475 Posts
Re: Panasonic UK repair policy

Responding to consumer pressure no doubt. Definitely a good move on their part. After Brexit, Panasonic might be the better bet in fact since Oly support is in Portugal. I guess it will be a lot more bureaucratic and expensive going to/from Portugal once we've left the Union.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 7th June 2018

Thanked 1,304 Times in 1,247 Posts
Liked 1,040 Times in 719 Posts

Will a European "repair" facility be any batter? Olympus lenses are shipped to Porugal and Pany lenses are shipped to Japan. OK, the latter takes a bit longer and may be a little bit more expensive of the shipping costs but I don't see that as the biggest issue.

A Pany Japanese repair though seems to be a replacement refurbished lens whilst they strip down the old lens and use the parts to build a new refurbished lens for the next repair replacement customer. Why would this be any different in Europe (or the UK) if the lens is that difficult to repair, re-assemble, and re-align? The second big hurdle (after getting a replacement lens instead of getting your old lens back after having it fixed) seemed to be lack of transparency in the cost and excessive high charges for out of warranty repairs, especially for what seems minor damage.

If the Japanese repair model is replicated in the UK I can still sense that there will be some unhappy customers. Where I can see the advatage of a local facility is the slightly lower shipping costs and a quicker replacement service if the lens does indeed need to be shipped to Japan. All the better if the "repair" (i.e. replacement) cost can be determined at the local "repair" facility.

For less complicated lenses than the 100-400mm it may well be that the local repair facility will indeed be able to repair some lenses so there will be some advantage.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
The Following User Liked This Post:
alfbranch (8th June 2018)
Old 7th June 2018
Banned

Liked 959 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Sorry didn't know the right place to post this.

This may leave some questions unanswered but it is looking better.Lets hope the right support is in place now.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61221055

Sorry, but given what Panasonic were apparently charging for a replacement refurbished lens, no spares available to 3rd. party repairers, no option to repair a faulty out of warranty lens, the whole situation surrounding the company is disgusting.

The fact somebody on a forum has received an email from Panasonic stating repairs may be possible by a 3rd party authorised repairer in future, means nothing until it happens and we know what they can repair and what the charges will be. There is no mention in the email about out of warranty repairs or a change in Panasonic policy. Maybe they are being trained to hand out re-furbished lenses at almost the same cost as a new lens. It's certainly no reason to get excited or rush out and buy Panny gear !

Having read all the reports both in this forum and others regarding Panasonic's repair policy or distinct lack of same, I would never purchase any of their products no matter what incentives were offered. The only way to make these companies such as Panasonic take note and alter their rip off strategies is for the general public to be made aware of the pitfalls and for them to simply stop buying the products.

Does anyone seriously want to spend over 1k for a Panny lens that, if it goes faulty after 12 months, the only current option available is to replace it with a refurbished lens costing just less than a new one or alternatively throw it in the bin? It beggars belief

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
alfbranch (8th June 2018)
Old 8th June 2018

Liked 2,125 Times in 783 Posts

I am not impressed by Panasonic at all.

My emails to them were just fobbed off. Sending the lens to Japan was not an option available. Just a less than 10% saving againt what I paid.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 8th June 2018

Liked 379 Times in 138 Posts

Whilst i posted this as an ongoing situation update its too late for me, my faith in Panasonic has gone, the last Panasonic lens i had has been sold this morning.