Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10

Olympus OM-D E-M10 The smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 2nd February 2015

Liked 136 Times in 44 Posts
What's going on with my camera/lens?

I've just been away for the weekend and experimented just using my EM10 with kit 14-42mm EZ (pancake) lens to see if it's good enough to use. Overall the combo is 'adequate' but some images were disappointing, and looked very blurred in certain areas of the frame but not others. See here, two different frames, both with the same 100 ISO, f5.6, 1/500 settings at 14mm (28mm eq), 100% crops.

This is taken from the top left corner, but not right in the corner

Note this is another 100% crop from the same frame as the first. OK, far from perfect, but better than the part of the frame in the first pic.

Also, look at this example. Note the blurred statue at the bottom compared to the sharper top of the frame (may need to view larger)

So what's going on? If it was shutter shock or camera shake I'd expect it across the frame. Also, I wouldn't expect camera shake at 1/500 with 14mm (28mm eq) focal length.

I've not noticed this before, but I've not really used this lens a lot before.
Old 2nd February 2015
Administrator

Thanked 2,977 Times in 2,313 Posts
Liked 3,907 Times in 1,844 Posts
Re: What's going on with my camera/lens?

Something seriously amiss here. I'm afraid I cannot put my finger on it, but hopefully somebody more technically minded than me will have the answer.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd February 2015

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts

For the first shot, possibly a rotational movement, hence more visible in the corners? What's the second image that doesn't show the shake (and has a lot less noise)?
In the last shot, the statue obviously moved.... one of those street artists, right? Otherwise, extremely weird!
The Following User Says Thank You to raichea For This Useful Post:
snerkler (3rd February 2015)
Old 2nd February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
For the first shot, possibly a rotational movement, hence more visible in the corners? What's the second image that doesn't show the shake (and has a lot less noise)?
In the last shot, the statue obviously moved.... one of those street artists, right? Otherwise, extremely weird!
I think you may have hit upon the problem - a fault with the camera's IBIS?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd February 2015

Thanked 1,013 Times in 770 Posts
Liked 4,529 Times in 1,476 Posts

That's really weird. Whatever it is, a trip to Portugal is probably in order.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 2nd February 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
That's really weird. Whatever it is, a trip to Portugal is probably in order.
Or if it's a recent purchase return it to the retailer for replacement with a new one.

The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 2nd February 2015

A fault in the rotational correction of the IBIS could be a cause of the corner blurring, but I can't imagine what could cause the blurring of the statue... it's very odd that there's not the same level of blurring of the building features immediately adjacent to the statue in the image.
The Following User Says Thank You to raichea For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd February 2015

Liked 42 Times in 13 Posts

Did you use a tripod for the shots?
Old 2nd February 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Snerkler!

Could the issue in the last picture be something as simple as a depth of field issue - to me the building seems to gradually loose sharpness as you progress down the image, but the statue would be a considerable amount closer to the camera than even the bottom of the building is - could it push the statue that far out of focus?

As to the first image, again the furthest part of the image from the camera is the most out of focus - so if you have focussed on the nearest part of the building are you just running out of depth of field? You don't say in your post whether the crops are 100% - if so the "normal" rules for depth of field would allow for this amount of blurring as they generally assume a "circle of confusion" of about 3-4 pixels - I always try to re-calculate with a circle of confusion of 1 pixel at most (DOFmaster gives a 0.015mm circle of confusion, but a pixel on a 12Mp 4/3 sensor is 0.0044mm, or 3.4 times smaller.)

DOFmaster gives a hyperfocal distance of 7.62ft at 14mm and f5.6, with between 4ft and infinity "in focus", but if you reduce the circle of confusion to 1 pixel (ie sharp when you pixel peep) you then get a hyperfocal distance of 28ft, and between 14ft and infinity "in focus".

I hope this might help,

Cheers,

Ralph.

PS Sorry for not reading you post correctly - you did state they were 100% crops!

Last edited by Ralph Harwood; 3rd February 2015 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Grovelling apology
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Could the issue in the last picture be something as simple as a depth of field issue
Interesting thought.... though the blurring of the statue has a distinct look of camera shake to it (the baton in the statue's hand seems to have two distinct overlaid images). Also, although it's hard to guage distance from the image, the level of blurring of the statue looks greater than I would have expected from DoF issues.

Steve
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 3rd February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
I don't think it's rotational movement tbh as the other corners are sharper, but you never know it could be an IBIS issue.

Lol, definitely no street artist. Possible a ghost?

The reason for the less noise is that the first shot has been sharpened (and still mega blurry) and the 2nd straight out of camera. Forgot to mention that
Old 3rd February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Snerkler!

Could the issue in the last picture be something as simple as a depth of field issue - to me the building seems to gradually loose sharpness as you progress down the image, but the statue would be a considerable amount closer to the camera than even the bottom of the building is - could it push the statue that far out of focus?

As to the first image, again the furthest part of the image from the camera is the most out of focus - so if you have focussed on the nearest part of the building are you just running out of depth of field? You don't say in your post whether the crops are 100% - if so the "normal" rules for depth of field would allow for this amount of blurring as they generally assume a "circle of confusion" of about 3-4 pixels - I always try to re-calculate with a circle of confusion of 1 pixel at most (DOFmaster gives a 0.015mm circle of confusion, but a pixel on a 12Mp 4/3 sensor is 0.0044mm, or 3.4 times smaller.)

DOFmaster gives a hyperfocal distance of 7.62ft at 14mm and f5.6, with between 4ft and infinity "in focus", but if you reduce the circle of confusion to 1 pixel (ie sharp when you pixel peep) you then get a hyperfocal distance of 28ft, and between 14ft and infinity "in focus".

I hope this might help,

Cheers,

Ralph.

PS Sorry for not reading you post correctly - you did state they were 100% crops!
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's DOF issue as the hyperfocal distance was used with aperture of f8, FL 14mm (28mm eq)
Old 3rd February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontolla View Post
Did you use a tripod for the shots?
No, but shutter speed was more than ample. Plus, if it was purely camera shake the whole image would be blurred.
Old 3rd February 2015
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

I don't think it can be camera shake due to the shutter speed. But if the sensor was moving when it should be still, then it's a trip to Portugal, I think.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 3rd February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I don't think it can be camera shake due to the shutter speed. But if the sensor was moving when it should be still, then it's a trip to Portugal, I think.
Sorry for the silly question, but what do you mean by a trip to Portugal?