Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 7th February 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help on camera and lens.

Hi I have been out of touch with photography for about eighteen years,I loved taking portraits in black and white but now I think it is time to move on.With the forums vast knowledge on photography can anyone recommend a good quality DSLR system for taking black and white digital photographs of people thanks for your help Dave.
Old 7th February 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,324 Times in 777 Posts
Re: Help on camera and lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave m View Post
Hi I have been out of touch with photography for about eighteen years,I loved taking portraits in black and white but now I think it is time to move on.With the forums vast knowledge on photography can anyone recommend a good quality DSLR system for taking black and white digital photographs of people thanks for your help Dave.
People are my favorite subject and portraits a close second. So start with the most important part first, the lens. For classic portraits, a lens of between 80mm and 100mm (in 35mm terms) was considered to be the focal length that produces the best results. When it comes to people then working distance is a big factor as well. A telephoto lens may well be more flattering to someone, but very few studios are big enough to allow them to be used.

Wide angle lenses can be used in some very special compositions but are best avoided.

As you have asked on this forum, then I'd suggest a 45mm f/1.8 for portraits and a 14-150 to cover the whole range of less detail shots. This is for the Micro Four Thirds (MFT) cameras.

If you are looking to get a bigger Four Thirds Camera then the 12-60 is an excellent lens to cover all your needs. It will fit on the MFT bodies with an adapter

As for bodies, that really is personal choice. If you want small and light then MFT is the way to go. If you will be in a studio a lot then the E-System FT is very capable.

Feel free to ask anything on this forum, there are lot who will help you.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 7th February 2014

Thanked 1,304 Times in 1,247 Posts
Liked 1,045 Times in 722 Posts

Dave, I wouldn't want to be presumptious in trying to suggest a particular system but you will need to qualify your needs before you can get some good advice.

Do you want to get a DSLR (digital version af a traditional SLR with mirror and optical viewfinder) or a mirrorless camera (uses the main digital imaging sensor to put the "view" onto the large back screen or the small digital viewfinder eyepiece)? Olympus have pulled out of the DSLR market (their Four Thids offering) to concentrate on mirrorless but the last of their DSLrs, the E-5, is rated highly albeit that the sensor is now showing its age. The latest round of Olympus mirrorless cameras (a.k.a Micro Four Thirds) have high quality sensors cable of producing relatively noise free images at high ISO.

You mention portraits. Will this be your only use or must a camera be multi-purpose as well? Do you shoot in a studio, outdoors session, or out in the street (candid)? Do you have additional requirements (or limitations) like weight and size? Weather proof?

Do you want the best in quality lenses whatever the price or are you prepared to compromise? On the same tack, do you have a budget and do you want new or will you accept second hand? Do you prefer zooms or fast single focal length primes with a wide aperture?

Olympus cameras are referred to "crop sensor" cameras because of the size of their sensor so all focal lengths must be multiplied by 2 to get the equivalent in traditional 35mm film camera terms - ask if you need more advice on this.
Old 7th February 2014

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Hello again. What film cameras did you use?
Old 7th February 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi thanks for the replies the camera I used was a Olympus OM4TI with a 135mm 50mm and 28mm. I am no expert just keen to learn I would like that type of camera with a viewfinder I was considering the OMD EM1 thanks Dave.
Old 7th February 2014

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

If you are not up to date with the latest technology, may I suggest that you contact Ian at the hire shop and hire the EM1 and lens before you buy?

The amount of technology in these cameras is astounding, and the combinations of settings are confusing very experienced users, so try before buying makes sense.

Picture quality is superb, you won't be disappointed
Old 7th February 2014

Thanked 1,304 Times in 1,247 Posts
Liked 1,045 Times in 722 Posts

I think its fair to say that any quality camera that came out in the last 2 years will provide good results so it is really down to how you want the camera to handle in your hands and how much you are prepared to spend on the lenses.

From another OM4Ti user I think you will find the OM-D E-M5 (the mid range model) closer in size to what you are used to (if that is your preference) and it is still holding its own against the other 2 in the range. The E-M1 is the flagship model but you may like to consider the newly announced low end OM-D E-M10 for budgetry reasons (all 3 OM-Ds having the built in viewfinder and superb sensors). However, I suspect Ian my not have any of the E-M10s for hire just yet (give him a week or so). Why not go to the photography show coming up at the NEC - plenty of chance to handle all sorts of cameras with no expectation to buy that you might get at your local shop.

If you go to the olympus website you can download the manuals which will give you some idea of the features now packed into the cameras.