Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 11th January 2012
scottworland

Post Olympus E-510 Twin lens kit

I am thinking of selling my Olympus E-510 twin lens kit as I brought it around a year ago but I'm not getting full use out of it. I am still using the camera in auto mode which allows me to take great shots but what's the point of having an DSLR to stay in auto....

If the price is right I will let it go and put it towards a mirrorless system thats more point and shoot and still takes great photos.

The camera and lenses are in excellent un-marked condition. The body has only 6691 shutter actuations so I'm not sure on what to price this at.

Included are the two kit lenses (both with uv filters) with all original caps & hoods (14-42 f3.5-5.6 & 40-150 f4-5.6), all cables, leads, manual & CDs, battery charger, battery, 4GB compact flash card and original box. Also included is a third party flash difuser brought from eBay that clips straight in the hot shoe. It all looks like brand new.

As I'm not sure what this package is worth I am open to sensible offers and can post the camera (to be arranged) or you can collect in person. I may advertise on a different site so get in contact if your interested. Note this is a UK only sale.

Cheers

Scott
Old 22nd January 2012

Thanked 1,198 Times in 1,115 Posts
Liked 1,594 Times in 804 Posts
Re: Olympus E-510 Twin lens kit

Scott for the whole package I'd say you should be looking for 250 to 300. It's a great camera and a low shutter count but unfortunately they have been going fairly cheaply as it's quite an old model now.
Old 22nd January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I bougt the same kit brand new four years ago for 370.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 22nd January 2012

Phil you must have bought one of the excellent deals when the replacement models came out - actually just as I did come to think of it . They had been going for a lot more just before that. The lenses alone second hand should fetch 50 each so I figured 150 for the camera was a good bottom price. Put it this way I wouldn't sell mine for anything less, but maybe I'm biased. It may be better to sell the lenses and body separately.
Old 22nd January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wouldn't sell my E510 for any money. it's a very useful now second camera and well under rated in my view.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 22nd January 2012

Liked 759 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
I wouldn't sell my E510 for any money. it's a very useful now second camera and well under rated in my view.
May be by people that haven't used one but as you know when it appeared on the scene it was very highly rated.
Only real shortcoming to my mind is the quick highlight role off and slightly limited DR. Mine still produces extremely sharp quality images.

Best of luck with the sale Scott.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 22nd January 2012

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts

I've just bought the e510, body only, for 125....I consider that a real bargain for a rather special little camera, which I'm using as a second body to complement my e520.

The kit lenses are simply superb, as most of us have found out.

Janet

Old 22nd January 2012

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Only real shortcoming to my mind is the quick highlight role off and slightly limited DR.

Best of luck with the sale Scott.

Sorry to go off topic BUT....I don't understand above comment - (been watching too much footie...lol)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 22nd January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post

Sorry to go off topic BUT....I don't understand above comment - (been watching too much footie...lol)
Hi Keith, it's the tone curve's rather quick transition from detail in highlights to blown out with no detail at all. Coupled with a relatively narrow dynamic range means you have to be pretty spot on with exposure, keeping a careful eye on the highlights. Therefore I find that shooting RAW is the best policy with the E-510 and tend to use most of Andrzej Wrotniak's excellent settings to release that extra sharpness and clarity that the E-510 is famed for.
It's a fantastic little camera in my book.

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 22nd January 2012

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Hi Keith, it's the tone curve's rather quick transition from detail in highlights to blown out with no detail at all. Coupled with a relatively narrow dynamic range means you have to be pretty spot on with exposure, keeping a careful eye on the highlights. Therefore I find that shooting RAW is the best policy with the E-510 and tend to use most of Andrzej Wrotniak's excellent settings to release that extra sharpness and clarity that the E-510 is famed for.
It's a fantastic little camera in my book.
Thanks Huw....with my 510 I used to shoot with some -ex comp to try and keep the detail in the highlights but as a trade off it would mean more noise in the dark areas I suppose.
My 510 ended it's life in a little stream last summer and I got a 520 from someone on here....how does it compare with the 510.

My 510 kit was also in the high 300's off ebay.(new),in about March 2008.
As said before maybe splitting the kit might be better unless a beginner purchases it as a kit.

p.s. thanks for the Wrotniac link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
Old 22nd January 2012

Again off topic (sorry Scott) come to think about it Wrotniak's settings really only apply to Jpeg output so I'm talking a load of twaddle
However I'm a Jpeg+RAW shooter most of the time so it sort of applies, never-the-less RAW definitely gives you the most leeway with E-510 output where exposure is concerned.

Edit: Sorry Keith, just to add I'm not really sure how it compares with the E-520 as I've not owned one.
However it's reported that dynamic range and highlight clipping is not the issue it is with the E-510 but I think the E-520 uses a heavier anti-aliasing filter resulting in a slighter softer image at 100%.

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 22nd January 2012

If I remember correctly Jeff Keller on dcresource.com covered some tips for using raw when he reviewed the E510. Apologies from me for off topic post too Scott but at least it keeps your sale post at the top. Good luck with the sale that is if we haven't convinced you to keep it.

Tags
dual lens, e-510, for sale, olympus