Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1 Week Ago

Thanked 1,077 Times in 849 Posts
Liked 1,215 Times in 748 Posts
Bush fires today & snow tomorrow.

Yes, that's what is happening downunder & it's very early spring season. Where we are the forecast is 30 degrees (but got to 32) today, windy & high risk of bushfires with one getting out of control west of Newcastle (NSW), but tomorrow......

Yes, that's right, snow is forecast. Katoomba is supposed to get to 24 degrees today & 10 tomorrow but with chill winds in the morning bringing possible snow showers.
http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/katoomba.shtml

It's not unheard of getting snow in October after some warm days (when we had devastating bushfires in 2013), but I think it is not going to be a nice fire season this year.

Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 793 Times in 457 Posts
Re: Bush fires today & snow tomorrow.

Like us, you must have been saying the wrong incantations and casting the wrong bones! It feels like late October already here.....
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3,009 Times in 1,048 Posts

It seems to me that this year marks an inflection point in the climatic fortunes of the planet.

There have been record bush and forest fire events in the northern hemisphere from the Pacific Northwest through to the majority of Southern Europe (very little of which was reported on the usual media channels). There was severe drought in Italy and the Balkans. The Middle East experienced temperatures in excess of 50 deg C and the monsoons in India and Bangladesh have been much more severe than normal. Then of course we're seeing a series of 1 in 500 year Hurricanes crashing into the Caribbean and the gulf of Florida. Add to that massive loss of tundra permafrost, sea ice at the poles and glacial retreat across all continents and you've got the clearest signs to date that things are getting worse - and rapidly.

Meanwhile the prick in the Whitehouse thinks it's all a Chinese conspiracy to weaken the US economy.

In my darker moments I fear for my children's future...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (1 Week Ago), Johnheatingman (1 Week Ago), MJ224 (1 Week Ago), Ross the fiddler (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
It seems to me that this year marks an inflection point in the climatic fortunes of the planet.

There have been record bush and forest fire events in the northern hemisphere from the Pacific Northwest through to the majority of Southern Europe (very little of which was reported on the usual media channels). There was severe drought in Italy and the Balkans. The Middle East experienced temperatures in excess of 50 deg C and the monsoons in India and Bangladesh have been much more severe than normal. Then of course we're seeing a series of 1 in 500 year Hurricanes crashing into the Caribbean and the gulf of Florida. Add to that massive loss of tundra permafrost, sea ice at the poles and glacial retreat across all continents and you've got the clearest signs to date that things are getting worse - and rapidly.

Meanwhile the prick in the Whitehouse thinks it's all a Chinese conspiracy to weaken the US economy.

You're not alone there!

All your other comments I totally agree with too.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Greytop (1 Week Ago), Johnheatingman (1 Week Ago), MJ224 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:

Of course it is, Paul! What else would it be? A Democrat conspiracy to bring down y'r man? Or a Russian conspiracy to, well, something similar?

Judging by the way the weather is going, Iceland will need renaming; how about Cool-land? Greenland is beginning to sound accurate. And we seem to have unfrozen mammoths coming out of our ears now. Every museum will have one soon! (Now that's probably a nasty Russian plot - they'll all be bugged, of course.) Then, there's Kim. When either he or T---p pushes the button, none of this will matter one iota, will it?

Oh what a very strange world we are creating.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,222 Times in 756 Posts

We could overlap you with snow. There was a piece on the radio today reporting that some long term forecast was saying we could get snow in mid October. And we haven't had summer yet. We were close to having frost at the weekend with lows of 2C.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.
Old 1 Week Ago

If you want an example of how screwed US climate politics are, this is a good read:

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...politics-farce
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 284 Times in 210 Posts

are they cousins of the Brexit brigade?
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
If you want an example of how screwed US climate politics are, this is a good read:

The country of Flat Earthers, strong on Young Earth Creationism (6,000 year old earth based on a literal & narrow interpretation on the 1st chapter of Genesis) despite all evidence otherwise. World geography is something that isn't covered much (if at all) except that of US-centric geography (by admittance from them) & therefore there's not much 'real' awareness of climatic breakdown around the globe.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:

I have an ex-colleague who is director of a company making storage batteries for wind power. Bumped into him the other day, and I mentioned the T-word, and said, he'll hit your business, won't he? No way, he said! The renewable sector business in the States is now so big that it will go on regardless. So T---p will get all these coal miners back to work, but who's going to buy the coal...? Perhaps it will make good ballast for something or other.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 486 Times in 256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
So T---p will get all these coal miners back to work, but who's going to buy the coal...? Perhaps it will make good ballast for something or other.
Actually it should be quite a good chemical resource, as oil is...........

100 years time, our descendants will curse us for burning such a valuable resource.

( I know nothing)
KeithL (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
The country of Flat Earthers, strong on Young Earth Creationism (6,000 year old earth based on a literal & narrow interpretation on the 1st chapter of Genesis) despite all evidence otherwise. World geography is something that isn't covered much (if at all) except that of US-centric geography (by admittance from them) & therefore there's not much 'real' awareness of climatic breakdown around the globe.
Yeah, I've yet to meet an American who has any appreciation that there is actually a world beyond the shores of the USA. Tell them you're from England, and they immediately ask if you are from London! "Abroad" seems to mean Canada or Mexico. Over there, I as often asked where I came from. "Norfolk". "Oh - is that near London?" "No!" "Ah, gee, I thought ya had an accent!"

Discussing a rather poorly made piece of electronics in GM once, I quipped that it must have been made by Mexicans; the GM guy said, "no, it was made in the Yoo-nited States." The look he gave me when I replied, "By expatriate Mexicans, I suppose..." ! !
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post

100 years time, our descendants will curse us for burning such a valuable resource.

( I know nothing)
Yes, but we've made sure we can't dig ours up again, so it can't have that much value, can it? Seriously though, a lot of US coal is open-cast as I remember, so it's pretty poor quality, I think.
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post

( I know nothing)
Sometimes I wonder if we'll have any descendants in 100 years - or at least whether they'll be educated enough to have an opinion on what we did.
KeithL (6 Days Ago), Ross the fiddler (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago

Or maybe, even care....