Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Lens (and other bits) help

Hello everyone.

My first post ... and yes, it's questions

Hopefully, it won't be too long (especially if Olympus can find it in themselves to give the UK the same offers as they give the US) before I pull the trigger and go for the Olympus E-M1 ii.

My proposed kit will be -
E-M1 ii
2x Lexar Pro 1000 cards
Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro lens (a must have)
Any comments regarding the above are welcome.

And this is where my mind is not yet made up .... and you may be able to help -

1 - I feel that the Oly 12-100 f4 Pro would suit my purposes best, mainly for its versatility, but I can't help keep thinking about the 12-40 f2.8 Pro (I think mainly because it's 2.8, smaller and lighter....cheaper too). Any points of view, help or advice (or even alternatives) would be more than welcome.

2 - The Olympus 70-300 - sorry that should say M4/3 75-300 seems ideal for me regarding focal lengths (and especially price) to start me off. (I have been used to 300mm (= 450 FF) on my existing cam so going to 300 (=600 FF) on the 4/3 is a decent jump for me .... for now. My problems are -
a - I have seen quite a few comments on forums regarding people having to change this lens two or three times before finally getting a good copy.
b - According to a couple of professional reviews I've read, (and it is has also been complained about in some forums), the E-M1 ii has a really nasty bug when using the 70-300mm - 75-300Olympus lens. When using at telephoto it apparently completely disables IBIS when it is focused on close objects (the lowest focus distance). Any thoughts/experiences or advice regarding these reported problems with this lens (or suggestions for alternatives with a similar range) is again most welcome.

3 - Has anybody got any advice, from experience, regarding the best screen protector for the E-M1 ii. I've seen the glass ones on Amazon which seem good but again, any experiences/advice gratefully received regarding quality, fitting, screen closing with protector on etc..

A little info to help - I take pictures of mainly wildlife, scenery and macro insects/flowers etc. but when on holiday in various countries I will also shoot inside buildings, markets, on streets and anywhere else I find myself or where organised tours take me. I do not want to have various prime lenses because walking along in towns or country, things will appear both near and far so there is no time to keep changing lenses. Video is not an issue as I may only take a couple of panorama style vids per year whilst on holiday. I want to cover maximum ranges with the minimum of lenses.

I don't think I've missed anything but I'm sure someone will put me right if I have. Thank you for managing to get this far without falling asleep :-}, and I look forward to any and all replies.

Kind regards

Keith
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Lens (and other bits) help

Hello again

No replies at all to my post so all I can think is that maybe I've asked too many questions or not followed a group rule. If so then please accept my apology (and please put me right if that is the case).

Having been offered a good trade in price for one of my cameras, I am going to do the deal on Friday and buy the E-M1 ii, starting the transition to a complete move to Olympus and M43.

Because of this, can I ask, if nothing else, if anyone has any comments/experience regarding question 2 and the 70-300 should say m4/3 75-300lens. That is the main problem for me because I want to get a lens in that focal range/price but want to buy into problems if the things I've read are true..

Of course, if anyone wants to make any observations regarding anything else I've mentioned, that would be very helpful as well.

Kind regards
Keith
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 462 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Hello again

No replies at all to my post so all I can think is that maybe I've asked too many questions or not followed a group rule. If so then please accept my apology (and please put me right if that is the case).

Having been offered a good trade in price for one of my cameras, I am going to do the deal on Friday and buy the E-M1 ii, starting the transition to a complete move to Olympus and M43.

Because of this, can I ask, if nothing else, if anyone has any comments/experience regarding question 2 and the 70-300 lens. That is the main problem for me because I want to get a lens in that focal range/price but want to buy into problems if the things I've read are true..

Of course, if anyone wants to make any observations regarding anything else I've mentioned, that would be very helpful as well.

Kind regards
Keith
Hi Keith, sadly there seems to be a habit on other forums to knock anything Olympus. Many of the comments are simply lies. Before taking the plunge and recently purchasing a used OMD E-M1 MK1 I read several reports that said the Sigma 150mm 4/3 lens could not be used on the mk1 via an adaptor as it didn't function. Totally untrue !

Are you referring to the m4/3 75-300 or the old 4/3 70-300 lens ?

I have both those lenses and the m4/3 75-300 is a fabulous lens for the price. The only negative comments i've read are that it is a little soft when used at 300mm but that seems to apply to many lenses in the lower price range. Mine has functioned perfectly and bought with 75 cash back offer I just can't fault it.

The old Oly 70-300 4/3 lens is a different lesser proposition entirely but can still be used via an adapter if thats what you're referring to but nowhere near as good as the m4/3 version.

Hope this helps,

John

Edit: The 70-300 can still give excellent results used with an adapter but needs very good light.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Keith try this, try before you buy.
https://wow.olympus.eu/
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

In answer to (3) your screen protector query, I have the 'Expert Shield' on mine. This is the best one I've tried so far. I don't often use screen protectors but this one has impressed me as a good quality product. I have them fitted to both my cameras and unlike other protectors I've tried I don't notice them at all while using the camera.

You should be wary of the glass protectors. Most of them are thicker and may not allow you to fold the screen back in to the camera body.

As to (1) the 12-100 vs 12-40, they are both great lenses.
The 12-40 is faster, smaller and lighter and easier to carry around.
The 12-100 has in built stabilisation which makes up for the slower F4 and its range makes it a fantastic general purpose lens when you're not sure what you want or if you only want to take one lens with you. It is disappointingly a little heavier and larger than I would like for a MFT lens but its well worth having.
I have both and despite the duplication in FL I'm keeping both. For image quality I find them both pretty good and have no real preference.
The main difference between the two for me is whether I feel I might need the extra FL or do I want to travel smaller and lighter. Only you can decide which suits you better.

Enjoy your new camera. I'm very pleased with mine.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 2,758 Times in 1,044 Posts

The mkii supports UHS-2 so you need the 2000 speed cards, it does make a big difference.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thank you all so much for your replies so far.

John - Thank you. Not sure whether it was the M1 or M2 version of the 70-300 which was being talked about when I read that people had to return them before getting a good copy. All I can say is that it was in forums, just like this one.
Regarding the reported problem of the E-M1 turning off the IBIS when the 70-300 was at its closes focus distance, I read that in a review by a professional who loved the camera but mentioned the problem. I just can't for the life of me remember who it was.
I was thinking of a brand new one. I want my lenses to be native, no adapters. Thanks again.

rsh1960 - Thank you for the suggestion of the 3 day equipment loan. This was suggested by the shop when I went to to try the camera. I must be honest, even though I have big hands, the E-M1 ii felt so good and natural in my hand that I could feel myself falling for it so I'd just be postponing the great day by loaning one ;-). Great suggestion though, thanks again.

percy - Thank you too. I must be honest, I tried the 12-40 and the 12-100 in the shop and yes, the 12-100 is heavier but it still felt very well balanced on the camera so I will probably go for it. It does solve many situations in one lens, something which, now I'm coming up to seventy is quite important. Maximum of three lenses to cover everything, not easy but I'll get there :-)
I've just been looking on Amazon at your suggestion of the 'Expert Shield' and found they have three models. 'Glass', 'Anti-Glare' and 'Lifetime Guarantee'. I quite like the sound of the 'Anti Glare', is that the one you use or did you go for the 'Lifetime Guarantee' one (I'm guessing it isn't the 'Glass' one). Thanks again for the great info.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 462 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Thank you all so much for your replies so far.

John - Thank you. Not sure whether it was the M1 or M2 version of the 70-300 which was being talked about when I read that people had to return them before getting a good copy. All I can say is that it was in forums, just like this one.
Regarding the reported problem of the E-M1 turning off the IBIS when the 70-300 was at its closes focus distance, I read that in a review by a professional who loved the camera but mentioned the problem. I just can't for the life of me remember who it was.
I was thinking of a brand new one. I want my lenses to be native, no adapters. Thanks again.

rsh1960 - Thank you for the suggestion of the 3 day equipment loan. This was suggested by the shop when I went to to try the camera. I must be honest, even though I have big hands, the E-M1 ii felt so good and natural in my hand that I could feel myself falling for it so I'd just be postponing the great day by loaning one ;-). Great suggestion though, thanks again.

percy - Thank you too. I must be honest, I tried the 12-40 and the 12-100 in the shop and yes, the 12-100 is heavier but it still felt very well balanced on the camera so I will probably go for it. It does solve many situations in one lens, something which, now I'm coming up to seventy is quite important. Maximum of three lenses to cover everything, not easy but I'll get there :-)
I've just been looking on Amazon at your suggestion of the 'Expert Shield' and found they have three models. 'Glass', 'Anti-Glare' and 'Lifetime Guarantee'. I quite like the sound of the 'Anti Glare', is that the one you use or did you go for the 'Lifetime Guarantee' one (I'm guessing it isn't the 'Glass' one). Thanks again for the great info.
Keith, I think you may be getting confused. The 70-300 lens is a 4/3 system lens and will not fit the OMD's without an adapter.

John
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thank you Beagletorque, you posted as I was replying to the first three to reply.

Because I will not be using (or only once or twice a year for very casual and limited use) the video capabilities of the E-M1 ii, I thought that the 1000 speed cards would probably be sufficient for my needs. I had read that someone was happily using 95Mbps cards in the E-M1 ii for their everyday photography which made me think that If I go one step above, I should be fine. Maybe I'll have to have another think about it. Thanks once again.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

John, you are right, what a plonker I am. Yes, of course it is ... and has been all along .. the M4/3 75-300. That is the one that I have read those things about and the one I am questioning. So sorry to you and anyone else for the confusion.
I'm going to have to go down to join the wife with a very red face now. Thanks for your patience.
I hear the call of the wild once again so I'd better log off for tonight and keep her company but I will be back in the morning to catch up. Thanks once again.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

This is the screen protector I'm using. I purchased direct from Expert Shield.
http://expertshielduk.com/olympus-om...k-ii-1962.html

As you say, the 12-100 is the best all round lens that probably covers 90% of most users needs. I doubt you'll regret getting it.

I'm off on a trip to Hong Kong & Taiwan in a few weeks. Having been there before and knowing the kind of pictures I'm likely to take I'm going to travel light and take the 12-40 (& a couple of primes). Sometimes when you're walking around all day in a hot climate any weight saving is worthwhile
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 898 Times in 545 Posts

Don't go for the anti glare expert shield I got one by mistake for my EM1 mk1 and it's terrible. Looks like you are looking through frosted glass all the time. I complained and they sent me a clear lifetime guarantee one one foc and that is brilliant. Must get one for my mk2. Keep forgetting!
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanked 1,089 Times in 974 Posts
Liked 1,043 Times in 692 Posts

As above have them on camera, tablet and phone. Found the anti glare did not work out on the camera, made photos blurred on checking.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 140 Times in 80 Posts

Just to add some confusion. Last week, I tried the EM1-II with the 12-100 lens and for me the combination seemed to erode the principal of size and weight saving probably to the extent that it's a no-no. I only take one lens at a time with my camera and mainly use either the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 or the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8. Both were acquired before Olympus had equivalent lenses and I can't see myself changing. Both are fantastic and give me what I was seeking when switching from Nikon.

Good luck with whatever you choose, happy days ahead.

David
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 85 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Because I will not be using (or only once or twice a year for very casual and limited use) the video capabilities of the E-M1 ii, I thought that the 1000 speed cards would probably be sufficient for my needs. I had read that someone was happily using 95Mbps cards in the E-M1 ii for their everyday photography which made me think that If I go one step above, I should be fine. Maybe I'll have to have another think about it. Thanks once again.
Considering the amount of money you're considering spending on everything else I wouldn't go cheap on the SD cards if your camera can go faster. You don't need massive cards - all your eggs in one basket IMHO. I have 3x16GB cards but in reality I usually backup or download my pictures well before even one is full. I only have the 3 cards so I can back up to a laptop AND keep the cards untouched when I'm holiday for double redundancy.

If you use burst modes in your wildlife you'll be kicking yourself if you miss a shot because you're waiting for the card and regretting the few quid you saved.