Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 6th September 2017
Woollyback Woollyback is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North east
Posts: 209
Thanks: 1
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Likes: 97
Liked 118 Times in 23 Posts
Long Dilemma - please help

Folks,

I am looking for a super telephoto decision between the Panasonic 100-400 and an adapted canon 100-400.

I have the Oly 40-150 but need something longer to photograph deer during the rut.

I can't find anywhere to hire the Panasonic in the uk and the benefit of the canon is I could use it on my 5D2 body

Obviously I will need an adaptor for the canon but in Uk price between the two lenses isn't that great

Any views as the best way forward would be very much welcome

Thanks

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 6th September 2017
Bikie John's Avatar
Bikie John Bikie John is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wessex
Posts: 3,263
Thanks: 166
Thanked 538 Times in 474 Posts
Likes: 280
Liked 489 Times in 329 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

I can't help with the choice between those two lenses, sorry, but I would expect that the Canon would be larger and heavier if it is designed for a 35mm-format sensor.

Which Oly 40-150 do you have? If it's the f/2.8 whizzy one, another possibility would be to get the MC-14 1.4x converter to go with it. That would give you 280m at f/4 - not as much reach as the 100-400 obviously, but a good way there. The lens and converter do work together very well.

John
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 6th September 2017
Miketoll Miketoll is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 555
Thanks: 96
Thanked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Likes: 68
Liked 113 Times in 75 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

Surely the 40-150 f2.8 "whizzy one" plus the 1.4 converter would give 420 mm equivalent? Still a long way short of 800. I have the Canon 100-400 mk II and it is a superb lens but much heavier than the Panasonic 100-400. Even with a metabones adapter which is not cheap the autofocus will not be as good as the Panasonic. Handling would be much worse too I think. The only advantage of the Canon is that it would fit your 5D mk II.
Just to muddy the waters further how about the new Sigma 150-400 Contemporary in Canon fit. Gets a very good write up, just as sharp as the Canon 100-400 mk II in the centre.Less than half the price of the Canon and lighter too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 6th September 2017
Graham_of_Rainham's Avatar
Graham_of_Rainham Graham_of_Rainham is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rainham
Posts: 6,828
Thanks: 543
Thanked 823 Times in 620 Posts
Likes: 1,773
Liked 1,078 Times in 651 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

The 100-400 is excellent and well worth considering

__________________
Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (8th September 2017)
  #5  
Old 6th September 2017
Woollyback Woollyback is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North east
Posts: 209
Thanks: 1
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Likes: 97
Liked 118 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
The 100-400 is excellent and well worth considering

Graham,

The Panny 100-400??

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 6th September 2017
Mark_R2 Mark_R2 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

Are you looking at the Canon L 100-400mm Mk1 or Mk2 lens? By repute, the Mk2 is noticeably sharper, though the Mk1 is no slouch. But I think the Mk2 will be much more expensive than the Panasonic 100-400mm and then you will need to to buy an adapter that supports at least aperture control and maybe AF to use it on your m4/3 camera (which camera do you have BTW?)

I have the Panasonic 100-400mm and am very happy with it for motorsports with my OMD EM1 Mk1, even at 400mm. However, perfect sharpness is not essential for me as I am using slowish shutter speeds to keep a sense of motion.

I also have the Mk1 Canon 100-400 and Metabones adapter AF. The AF with the Canon lens via the Metabones on the EM1 is atrocious. Far too slow to catch anything moving.

Consequently, if you need AF on m4/3 I recommend the Panasonic. On the other hand, if you need really fast and reliable AF, you should get the new Canon 100-400 and use it with your 5Dmk2 and crop.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 6th September 2017
Woollyback Woollyback is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North east
Posts: 209
Thanks: 1
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Likes: 97
Liked 118 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_R2 View Post
Are you looking at the Canon L 100-400mm Mk1 or Mk2 lens? By repute, the Mk2 is noticeably sharper, though the Mk1 is no slouch. But I think the Mk2 will be much more expensive than the Panasonic 100-400mm and then you will need to to buy an adapter that supports at least aperture control and maybe AF to use it on your m4/3 camera (which camera do you have BTW?)

I have the Panasonic 100-400mm and am very happy with it for motorsports with my OMD EM1 Mk1, even at 400mm. However, perfect sharpness is not essential for me as I am using slowish shutter speeds to keep a sense of motion.

I also have the Mk1 Canon 100-400 and Metabones adapter AF. The AF with the Canon lens via the Metabones on the EM1 is atrocious. Far too slow to catch anything moving.

Consequently, if you need AF on m4/3 I recommend the Panasonic. On the other hand, if you need really fast and reliable AF, you should get the new Canon 100-400 and use it with your 5Dmk2 and crop.
Mark,

Brilliant thank you.

I have an EM1 and was thinking about the mk2 canon.

If the Panasonic is sharp enough then it's my preferred way to go. I need reliable AF but not nailed on every shot

Could you point me in the direction of some Panny images at 400mm ? As that would be very useful

Cheers

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 6th September 2017
Mark_R2 Mark_R2 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woollyback View Post

Could you point me in the direction of some Panny images at 400mm ? As that would be very useful

Cheers

Rob
Hi Rob,

I will look for some from my trip to Oulton Park two weeks ago. It will be Friday before I get chance to sort this out though. Mostly I don't go above 360mm, but I think I do have some 400mm shots somewhere.

Have you looked at the lenstip review of the Panasonic?

https://www.lenstip.com/index.html?t...wu&test_ob=476

I have a lot of respect for this guy, but he was very down on this lens at the long end. My experience is that, for me, it is sharp enough.

I have found that the AF is as fast as the 40-150mm pro and it is nicer to hold (just seems better balanced). The zoom is stiff though and works the other way to Oly lenses, which confuses me. I got the Panasonic in May and have hardly used the Oly 40-150 (+TC) all year.

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 6th September 2017
Bikie John's Avatar
Bikie John Bikie John is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wessex
Posts: 3,263
Thanks: 166
Thanked 538 Times in 474 Posts
Likes: 280
Liked 489 Times in 329 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
I can't help with the choice between those two lenses, sorry, but I would expect that the Canon would be larger and heavier if it is designed for a 35mm-format sensor.

Which Oly 40-150 do you have? If it's the f/2.8 whizzy one, another possibility would be to get the MC-14 1.4x converter to go with it. That would give you 280m at f/4 - not as much reach as the 100-400 obviously, but a good way there. The lens and converter do work together very well.

John
Oops, sorry, bad arithmetic. 150mm + 1.4 x converter is only about 210mm so quite a long way sort of the 400 that either of the other zooms give. I must have been thinking of the 4/3 50-200 plus EC-14 converter - that does give 280mm and is a pretty good combo. Might be possible to pick up cheap theses days, but would need a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter, and won't fit on the Canon. And still not as long as 400 of course.

Apologies for any confusion.

John
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 8th September 2017
blu-by-u blu-by-u is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 865
Thanks: 63
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Likes: 68
Liked 120 Times in 79 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

Just wondering out loud, Can we stuff that 1.4 converter into an extension tube (with contacts) to just allow it to be used with the other lenses?
__________________
All my garbage so far.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 8th September 2017
Beagletorque's Avatar
Beagletorque Beagletorque is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: England
Posts: 5,210
Thanks: 956
Thanked 699 Times in 640 Posts
Likes: 1,289
Liked 2,814 Times in 1,070 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

Yes, l do it with macro. But if you add extra length you will loose infinity focus and may end up with a very short focal range.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
__________________
Missed a Cuba Post? Catch up here!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 8th September 2017
Nawty Nawty is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 192
Thanks: 6
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Likes: 25
Liked 59 Times in 38 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

Here's one with the Panny @ 400mm

Alaska-6164874 by Ned Awty, on Flickr


And another at 400mm (and not bad for ISO 2500!)

Alaska-6165388 by Ned Awty, on Flickr


And here's one at around 200mm:

Posing by the falls by Ned Awty, on Flickr

I love the lens, not quite as sharp as the 40-150 pro but not too far off and it renders images nicely (and not subject to the ugly bokeh you can sometimes get with the 40-150 which is even worse with the TC on). It is very lightweight and having the zoom makes it very versatile and it fits in a tiny backpack which is astounding and the OIS is really good, even on Oly bodies.
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Miketoll (8th September 2017), MJ224 (13th September 2017), sapper (8th September 2017)
  #13  
Old 8th September 2017
c12402's Avatar
c12402 c12402 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Pinto
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Likes: 1
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

I was at the same dilemma between the Pana 100-400, the Oly 300f4 and the new Sigma 150-600 for Canon with metabones adapter.

What I did was to rent an adapter and a Canon 100-400 lens and test the setup. The result was that it works, but the speed of autofocus was not compatible with the BIF usage I needed.

For relatively static subjects is OK, the quality is good and the aperture with the metabones is very much welcomed.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10th September 2017
Woollyback Woollyback is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North east
Posts: 209
Thanks: 1
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Likes: 97
Liked 118 Times in 23 Posts
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawty View Post
Here's one with the Panny @ 400mm

Alaska-6164874 by Ned Awty, on Flickr


And another at 400mm (and not bad for ISO 2500!)

Alaska-6165388 by Ned Awty, on Flickr


And here's one at around 200mm:

Posing by the falls by Ned Awty, on Flickr

I love the lens, not quite as sharp as the 40-150 pro but not too far off and it renders images nicely (and not subject to the ugly bokeh you can sometimes get with the 40-150 which is even worse with the TC on). It is very lightweight and having the zoom makes it very versatile and it fits in a tiny backpack which is astounding and the OIS is really good, even on Oly bodies.
Wow

That looks good enough for me - great subjects too. Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10th September 2017
Melaka's Avatar
Melaka Melaka is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bucks
Posts: 1,705
Thanks: 715
Thanked 151 Times in 112 Posts
Likes: 400
Liked 130 Times in 67 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: Long Dilemma - please help

I have the Panny 100-400 and for most purposes find it is better than the Oly 300+1.4. Mine are used mainly for wildlife, which they do very well.
__________________
David

EM1, EM5 II
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Dilemma. paullus Olympus OM-D E-M1 14 24th December 2014 09:02 AM
HELP! Dilemma f2uk The lounge 34 18th September 2013 07:23 AM
Genuine Dilemma Graham_of_Rainham Micro Four Thirds 21 12th July 2012 11:57 PM
Oh My Dilemma Zuiko Olympus OM-D E-M5 37 15th February 2012 12:44 PM
Bit of a Dilemma.... DekHog Olympus E-620/600 18 10th March 2010 07:10 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:10 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2017, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger