Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 17th August 2017

Liked 2,758 Times in 1,044 Posts
Re: Starting out manipulating images

I enjoy "processing" the raw files almost as much as taking the photo! I find that I learn a lot about how the camera deals with various conditions which helps in taking the next shots. There are times when you can't use the camera (I. E. in the dark or due to weather) so playing with the images is the next best thing!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MJ224 (17th August 2017), PeterBirder (17th August 2017)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Thank for all the replies guys, I've used a couple of packages and manipulated a few images but I think I m happy to just use the software to crop images as I find sitting at a computer (after I have spent the entire week doing the same thing) just doesn't do it for me.

Thanks for the advice for software.

Matt
The Following User Liked This Post:
iso (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

While all the experts are there, Let this noob (ie me) let you in on a bit about that Free Faststone. It's a wonderful program and it also allows you to edit with external programe like the FREE Nik Collection, There are lots of discussion on how to use this wonderful software somewhere.

The disadvantage of this Faststone is that it does not support any printer correction ICM extensions. So what you see may not be what you print as print will also depend on a whole lot of other stuff. (that is another load of stuff to learn.)

Another is that there is no automatic WB correction. So If I had shot in JPG and the WB is off, I had to use another program like irfanView., BTW, it's also FREE. It's not as easy to use as Faststone but it supports both the WB correction and the ICM.

I am not saying that IrfanView is better but both have their pro and con. I now live with both and Faststone is one I will fireup first to do my editting/viewing and etc. But if I need to print, I will print from irfanview.

If I need RAW manipulation, OlyViewer. Can't find the need to use and Adobe software as yet.

BTW, you can download the 2 extra mentioned software by clicking the URL link.
iso (4 Days Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Interesting thread.

I use an E M1 mk1 and a Pen EP5. I have always used Elements, recently getting the most up to date one. I'd always used JPGs, but I wish now that I'd done RAW all along (I have many old JPGs that I wish I also had in RAW). All I can say is that if you are used to using Elements to manipulate JPGs, there is not that much more hassle in using Elements to manipulate RAW files. You'll probably end up using about twice the sliders, but each one of them is no more difficult to use than the JPG sliders.

I shoot RAW and the finest JPGs. What I do is I delete all the rubbish shots and then the ones that are ok I keep on JPG and the ones that are good, I keep the RAW file and process that for the best JPG I can make and save that instead of the original JPG. I delete the data file (.x something or other) and the .DNG....don't know if that's wise, but I am thinking space on my drives.

For me, the next step is to think about Lightroom. I hear the call towards CC, but really I am more inclined to buy Lightroom on a disc. There seems to be huge confusion online about whether Adobe will issue a boxed Lightroom 7 or whether 6 will be the last due to CC. If there is to be a 7, I'll wait, otherwise I will go for 6.

One question is does Lightroom enable you to adjust shadows and highlights in specific areas as opposed to over the whole image? I think that would be useful to me.

Also my method of storing files is to open the disc that's in the camera and drag and drop it into a new folder on my PC. I know that's not the best. I hear that Lightroom has some tricks to help you store and import logically. Anyone know of a good video on that? I'll certainly watch it.

I think that the OP could quite easily move onto RAW if he chose. I predict that he won't find it too hard at all and will then be a RAW convert. When you are ready and not before! That was how it was for me and I was very reluctant to go RAW

Hoping for Lightroom 7 and not just CC from now on. I'll have to buy L6 if there's no L7.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 378 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
Interesting thread.

I use an E M1 mk1 and a Pen EP5. I have always used Elements, recently getting the most up to date one. I'd always used JPGs, but I wish now that I'd done RAW all along (I have many old JPGs that I wish I also had in RAW). All I can say is that if you are used to using Elements to manipulate JPGs, there is not that much more hassle in using Elements to manipulate RAW files. You'll probably end up using about twice the sliders, but each one of them is no more difficult to use than the JPG sliders.

I shoot RAW and the finest JPGs. What I do is I delete all the rubbish shots and then the ones that are ok I keep on JPG and the ones that are good, I keep the RAW file and process that for the best JPG I can make and save that instead of the original JPG. I delete the data file (.x something or other) and the .DNG....don't know if that's wise, but I am thinking space on my drives.

For me, the next step is to think about Lightroom. I hear the call towards CC, but really I am more inclined to buy Lightroom on a disc. There seems to be huge confusion online about whether Adobe will issue a boxed Lightroom 7 or whether 6 will be the last due to CC. If there is to be a 7, I'll wait, otherwise I will go for 6.

One question is does Lightroom enable you to adjust shadows and highlights in specific areas as opposed to over the whole image? I think that would be useful to me.

Also my method of storing files is to open the disc that's in the camera and drag and drop it into a new folder on my PC. I know that's not the best. I hear that Lightroom has some tricks to help you store and import logically. Anyone know of a good video on that? I'll certainly watch it.

I think that the OP could quite easily move onto RAW if he chose. I predict that he won't find it too hard at all and will then be a RAW convert. When you are ready and not before! That was how it was for me and I was very reluctant to go RAW

Hoping for Lightroom 7 and not just CC from now on. I'll have to buy L6 if there's no L7.
Yes Lightroom does allow you to do adjustments on specific areas of the image. Its called the adjustment brush and you can use it multiple times with different settings each time. You can also do more than just shadows and highlights.

Julieanne Kost is a great source of Lightroom tutorials.

http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

As for Lightroom 7 in a boxed version I think you will have a long wait. I went down the CC route a couple of years ago and don't regret it. Its only 10 per month and you get PS as well plus all the latest updates included.
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I believe that Lightroom 6 is now on about version 6.9.

Presumably if I bought 6 out the box, it would upgrade online?
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 955 Times in 285 Posts

Hi

I use Colour EFEX which is part of the NIK collection for most of my adjustments nowadays.
It will run as a plugin in Elements and is now free(but not supported any more).
I find the control points much quicker than using masks/layers etc to select parts of the image.
Not everyone will agree but I find it coupled with element all is I need.

Ps also comes with Silver EFEX which is great for B/W conversions.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 284 Times in 210 Posts

Lightroom introduces the user to the concept of digital Asset Management (DAM), it provides a searchable catalog of your pictures (assuming you put in descriptors for each group of pictures).

The only downside to Adobe subscription model is that as you are approaching the leap from the perch you will have to keep paying the subs to keep access to the processed pictures and catalog. Post perch leap your inheritors will not have access to the processed pictures unless they have been exported from LR.
Old 5 Days Ago

Liked 85 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
I believe that Lightroom 6 is now on about version 6.9.

Presumably if I bought 6 out the box, it would upgrade online?
I have lightroom on DVD installed after Christmas and it automatically updates. I'm currently on 6.12.

As I understand it it will keep working but new camera and lens support doesn't continue if there is a major version release (I may be misinformed).

I don't spend enough time editing to justify a CC subscription - it offers me very little but locks you in as above. If they stop doing disk versions I will jump ship to one of the opensource options.
Old 5 Days Ago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've downloaded Faststone and it looks cool. I watched a few videos on it too. I think I'll use it more as a viewer than an image manipulator. From what I've seen I think Elements 15 will probably do that better.

In terms of RAW processing, Elements is OK, but I am looking at Lightroom 7 and DxO 11 Elite pro. I've watched a lot of videos and may try the free downloads. So far, I am favouring DxO. It seems to be perhaps the better file editor though it does not have filing - but I don't use anything other than my own filing now anyway. I have been impressed with what I've seen of DxO...though 159 is very steep. Maybe there will be an offer at some point.