Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 27th June 2017

Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Re: Starting out manipulating images

There is a free software package, Olympus Viewer 3, which is available free of charge. Appallingly, it has no manual. you can read the online Help. It's also rather slow and clunky to use.

There are lots of application out there, some of which do only a subset of the things some people like, so some folk have a combination of packages.

The sort of adjustments you can do include basic compositional things such as cropping and tilting, changing exposure characteristics such as exposure compensation, changing brightness of certain colours, changing white balance. There are also features in some packages to select parts of the image and apply different adjustments selectively to different areas. Another group of features allows you to make radical computer graphic editing of the image content - e.g. removing blemishes from complexion, changing a shape, removing an object (e.g. a lamp post) altogether from an image etc etc.

Unfortunately most of these software products are extremely geeky and to use them to full effect you need to be happy with complex software interfaces and also have an in depth mental model of how an image is represented in digital forms.
Old 28th June 2017

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Hi Matt. First off every single image taken with a digital camera needs some form of post production, PERIOD. Anyone who says otherwise is totally wrong. Now what form of image manipulation you eventually go for is down to you and your bank balance, which I'm assuming has taken a bit of a knock with your recent buy. Adobe is the way to go, IMHO, it has no equal, and CC is only a tenner a month. Its a steep learning curve but with the tutorials included and a Martin Evening book you will soon be up and running. The Olympus jpeg engine like my own Fuji one is very good {so good that I hardly ever shoot RAW} but they still need working on or you will be left with washed out fuzzy snaps, pointless given your recent investment. So do some research to see whats out there and as stated in a previous post, most come with a free trial. Good luck and lets see some results soon. IW.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (29th June 2017)
Old 28th June 2017

Liked 438 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Hopefully there might be someone here on the forum that can find and display a thread that points to a video link that is a step by step tutorial. which I believe was on photo-shop. The tutorial is by a woman which might help jog the memory banks.

I also seem to remember something called Therapy or Therapee being given a good write-up?

You could also GOOGLE for video tutotials to get some idea what they are capable of? A picture speaks a 1,000 words as it were.

Here are a couple of Links. Julianne Kost is the lady I think you are referring to.

http://tv.adobe.com/show/the-complet...ulieanne-kost/

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/tutorials.html

Other Software packages in no particular order most run on Windows or Mac.
Some are free but I believe all have at least a 30 day trial option.

Olympus Viewer 3
Affinity Photo
Raw Therapee
Luminar
Capture One Pro
DxO Optics Pro 11
Corel After Shot Pro
Silky Pix Developer
Alien Skin Exposure X2
On1Photo Raw
Photos app - Mac
Photos app - Windows
GIMP

and many more.

Its a very competitive market.

Last edited by wornish; 30th June 2017 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added a new package
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Wally (28th June 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Matt_Hirst (28th June 2017), Wally (28th June 2017)
Old 28th June 2017

Liked 1,104 Times in 493 Posts

Both are very good links of which the second one is the link I seem to remember.

You are de man

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 28th June 2017

Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts

I shoot JPG+RAW - lots of shots don't need to be processed so the JPG is fine.
I import using Olympus Viewer 3 - you can do some fairly sophisticated things in there to RAW, but it does need some patience to learn and it's quite slow at processing images.

You can do image manipulation using layers and masks in this free alternative to Photoshop. It doesn't import RAW so you'll need to either work on a JPG or export a file from Olympus Viewer 3 - TIFF is huge but preserves as much detail as possible and you can delete the intermediate file and keep the RAW and processed JPG.
https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Finally I would thoroughly recommend Lightroom. I held off for ages and wish I hadn't, a couple of clicks will dramatically improve an image that was flat a dull.
I didn't want the Adobe subscription so got a stand alone version on disc. You can try Lightroom for nothing before you decide to subscribe or buy.
Old 29th June 2017

Liked 195 Times in 169 Posts

Matt – IPWheatley’s recent post is certainly a reflection of one extreme view that sometimes can be found on threads here. The suggestion that ‘what form of image manipulation you go for, is down to your Bank Balance’, I think says it all.
STICK TO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO – Sure stuff does need to be ‘corrected’, because I guess none of us are as good as the old guys with film, when it was ‘do or die’. (I shot film for about 45 years and never thought that my mistakes could or should be correctible). I also marvelled at the commercial re-touchers of the time who commanded amazing Fees to do just that.
So again, go for something like Faststone – otherwise you will spend more time worrying about ‘manipulating’ your pics than taking, or doing something with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to iso For This Useful Post:
spn0923 (13th August 2017)
Old 29th June 2017

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Could not let the latest post on this subject from iso pass without reply. To suggest my view on this matter is extreme bought a smile to my face, but perhaps my standards a higher than his. As for old boys shooting film well you can include me in that category also, I made my living shooting weddings using a variety of medium format cameras for a national company for many years without complaint. The point I am trying to make is if you have invested a substantial wedge, in some cases hundreds maybe thousands of pounds on equipment, why cut corners on an image manipulation system, it just does not make sense in my view. I keep saying Adobe CC costs less than a pint of beer a week and to me that's a bargain for what your getting. If these views are extreme to some, tough. When I was about 22 years old my new wife said to me, why don't you get yourself a hobby, my god how she came to regret uttering those words, years later and thousands of pounds lighter I'm still enjoying taking photographs, no longer professionally, I will be seventy next birthday, but I will not compromise the standards I set myself when I was making my living from photography. Sorry for the rant but I feel very strongly about this, regards, IW.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IPWheatley For This Useful Post:
Johnheatingman (29th June 2017), PeterBirder (29th June 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (1st July 2017), Johnheatingman (29th June 2017), PeterBirder (29th June 2017)
Old 29th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPWheatley View Post
Could not let the latest post on this subject from iso pass without reply. To suggest my view on this matter is extreme bought a smile to my face, but perhaps my standards a higher than his. As for old boys shooting film well you can include me in that category also, I made my living shooting weddings using a variety of medium format cameras for a national company for many years without complaint. The point I am trying to make is if you have invested a substantial wedge, in some cases hundreds maybe thousands of pounds on equipment, why cut corners on an image manipulation system, it just does not make sense in my view. I keep saying Adobe CC costs less than a pint of beer a week and to me that's a bargain for what your getting. If these views are extreme to some, tough. When I was about 22 years old my new wife said to me, why don't you get yourself a hobby, my god how she came to regret uttering those words, years later and thousands of pounds lighter I'm still enjoying taking photographs, no longer professionally, I will be seventy next birthday, but I will not compromise the standards I set myself when I was making my living from photography. Sorry for the rant but I feel very strongly about this, regards, IW.
I agree with most of the points you make. But ... if someone is doing photography for pleasure and not as a business there is a big difference. The only judge of the image quality that matters when its for your own enjoyment is yourself. If its a business then of course its your potential customers.
Everyone has their own expectations and standards, thats life.

Lets all enjoy what we like and strive to get better.
No one is being critical it boils down to personal preferences.
iso (30th June 2017), Paul19 (1st July 2017)
Old 13th August 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Matt,
As an IT old timer and not very accomplished photographer this thread is interesting. I agree with all comments. If it helps I would summarise as

just consider raw image files (xxx.orf for olympus cameras) as read only but retaining all the data the camera had when you clicked the shutter, but remembering the file size is pretty large.

if you aren't a great technical photographer then you will sometimes find when you look at your photos some may seem for instance darker or lighter than you expected. This is where some photo software can help. It can reinterpret the image to create the image you were hoping for, but obviously only to a certain degree. If the settings were wrong or the camera just couldn't capture the data that that is that.

This is where jpeg comes in. You can think of jpg files as a way of compressing an image file. Because jpg files are smaller than raw files the camera 'reinterprets' the data image to try to create the same image from a smaller file size. This means you will inevitably lose data but hopefully not that human eyes can tell. You could think of this a bit like the camera doing a similar job to photo software. Photo software wont save in RAW, it will typically ask you to save in jpg.

Now the software question. I used GIMP for a long time as its free and it is great. However, in the end I bought photoshop elements (the cheaper version of £300 professional grade Photoshop). I got it on one of adobes sale days on amazon for under £50. The beauty is it has beginner, intermediate and export modes so great for beginners as well as accomplished photographers.

I said jpg is like 'reinterpreting' the image file. A professional photographer giving me some lessons told me every time the jpg is opened it reinterprets the file again so over time it degrades but again typically not to a degree noticeable to human eye.

So my advice is take photos in RAW (windows recognises olympus .orf raw image files now, assume you are pc user) if you have big enough camera cards and computer space since this makes sure image is as good and safe as possible then use software to tweak it if you need to. For a while I too had my camera saving in both raw (.orf) and jpg but ended up with the hassle of working out which jpg's where the unchanged raw replicas when I saw how big my photo library was getting.

Picasa is also pretty good for simple tweaks. The beauty of Picasa is it is really easy to view your photo collections. This is where Lightroom really excels in helping you catalogue and manage your photo library. I also have lightroom (again on amazon deal) but find for me the simplicity of google's picasa to find, and adobe photoshop to tweak, the images works for me.

The first step is to master your camera technique.
Old 13th August 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just read ISO's post. Said what I meant to in 1/4 the space. Love taking photos not tweaking them!
The Following User Says Thank You to spn0923 For This Useful Post:
iso (16th August 2017)
Old 13th August 2017

Liked 556 Times in 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spn0923 View Post
Just read ISO's post. Said what I meant to in 1/4 the space. Love taking photos not tweaking them!
I feel the same in some respects. It is an established fact however that all digital photos require some degree of post processing, however so slight. Some is done by the camera anyway before you ever see the result of your efforts. It can be no more or less than was done by film processing labs in the "old days " It's your choice how much you actually manipulate an image.

John
Old 13th August 2017

Liked 556 Times in 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spn0923 View Post
My best advice would be to listen to the members who actually post photos on the forum and Gallery. You can then judge for yourself the validity of their advice, experience and abilities regarding PP from appraising the photos they post.

Best regards,

John
Old 14th August 2017

Liked 121 Times in 43 Posts

Can I perhaps throw a curveball in here by giving a thumbs up to the `Photo`s` application that is part of Windows 10? Ok, at the moment I just shoot jpegs (still learning the EM1 Mark 2 and baffled by RAW processing) but the program does virtually all that I want. Good place to start if you use Windows 10. Attached is a shot taken above Aberystwyth last week tweaked just a tad using the program. I used a Pen F but still learning that too! Oh, and if anyone can tell me how I post larger shots on here like most others do I would be grateful. Told you, still learning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8080108.jpg (97.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 14th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 090657 View Post
Can I perhaps throw a curveball in here by giving a thumbs up to the `Photo`s` application that is part of Windows 10? Ok, at the moment I just shoot jpegs (still learning the EM1 Mark 2 and baffled by RAW processing) but the program does virtually all that I want. Good place to start if you use Windows 10. Attached is a shot taken above Aberystwyth last week tweaked just a tad using the program. I used a Pen F but still learning that too! Oh, and if anyone can tell me how I post larger shots on here like most others do I would be grateful. Told you, still learning.
I was in Aberystwyth last week and you certainly had better weather than me.

Last edited by wornish; 15th August 2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 16th August 2017

Liked 195 Times in 169 Posts

Rob - Well after all that, as I suggested - do what you want and don't let others spoil/autosuggest or generally try to affect what you enjoy or want to achieve. Also don't get diverted into the 'I've got and expensive set of golf clubs (whatever they are) - so will play better golf'