Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 22nd March 2017
Grumpy Member

Liked 413 Times in 195 Posts
Re: AF not as accurate

Ditto on the positive side. I have been using since December and for what I do the AF is a huge improvement in both speed and accuracy. The only issues I have experienced are around very low contrast subjects which is not surprising but even then it is much improved over the MK1.

It should be said though that I do not do action/BIF so my comments should be taken in that context.

Hec
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 3,300 Times in 1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
I'm still trying to work out what I've done wrong - The camera seems fine and has been subjected to a factory reset, so I'll start again!

Enthusiasm has taken a bit of a hit though!

I think I need to switch to CF+TR to resolve the issues I think I've had - I'll give it a go and report back!
Oh dear - that's not a great place to be! Let's see if we can collectively get you back on track!

Personally, I have grave doubts over the use of tracking having had very little success with it in the past. Like a lot of fancy automation, it removes control from the user and unless it's 100% reliable it'll only likely make things worse to diagnose.

IMHO whenever there is a problem, it's best to return to the simplest setup possible and then take it from there. How about this for an approach:

- Start with single point S-AF on a static subject with a tripod. Sounds stupid, but it'll at least remove concerns around basic lens and camera calibration. Might be worth trying it with a few lenses too.

- Move to hand-held. Tests shutter speed and IS issues.

- Move to CAF, no-tracking and with a single AF point. Use first on a static subject. Maybe doesn't add much, but it gives C-AF a run. Keep to static subjects, but move aim from things near to far.

- Keep on C-AF single point and play with the C-AF settings - AF Scanner and AF Lock settings (loose/tight). Keep to same static subjects and see how the settings change behaviour.

- Bring in multi-point CAF. See how the camera chooses its selected focus point, again keeping to static subjects.

- Switch to moving subjects and repeat the C-AF tests. Start with single point and something simple such as cars or bicycles, keeping the focus point(s) over the subject by camera movement. Test movement both in parallel plane to camera (subject not changing distance) and perpendicular (changing distance). Ensure that shutter speed is high enough.

- Play around with different subjects and different movement patterns. Experiment with C-AF settings, esp CAF Lock.

- Lastly, see if tracking helps at all. It should, if working properly, remove the need to keep the subject under a focus point.

Depending on where problems begin, you'll have at least some handle on where to go looking for a fix.

Hope this is useful and not teaching anyone to suck eggs!!
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (22nd March 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (22nd March 2017)
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 771 Times in 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Oh dear - that's not a great place to be! Let's see if we can collectively get you back on track!

Personally, I have grave doubts over the use of tracking having had very little success with it in the past. Like a lot of fancy automation, it removes control from the user and unless it's 100% reliable it'll only likely make things worse to diagnose.

IMHO whenever there is a problem, it's best to return to the simplest setup possible and then take it from there. How about this for an approach:

- Start with single point S-AF on a static subject with a tripod. Sounds stupid, but it'll at least remove concerns around basic lens and camera calibration. Might be worth trying it with a few lenses too.

- Move to hand-held. Tests shutter speed and IS issues.

- Move to CAF, no-tracking and with a single AF point. Use first on a static subject. Maybe doesn't add much, but it gives C-AF a run. Keep to static subjects, but move aim from things near to far.

- Keep on C-AF single point and play with the C-AF settings - AF Scanner and AF Lock settings (loose/tight). Keep to same static subjects and see how the settings change behaviour.

- Bring in multi-point CAF. See how the camera chooses its selected focus point, again keeping to static subjects.

- Switch to moving subjects and repeat the C-AF tests. Start with single point and something simple such as cars or bicycles, keeping the focus point(s) over the subject by camera movement. Test movement both in parallel plane to camera (subject not changing distance) and perpendicular (changing distance). Ensure that shutter speed is high enough.

- Play around with different subjects and different movement patterns. Experiment with C-AF settings, esp CAF Lock.

- Lastly, see if tracking helps at all. It should, if working properly, remove the need to keep the subject under a focus point.

Depending on where problems begin, you'll have at least some handle on where to go looking for a fix.

Hope this is useful and not teaching anyone to suck eggs!!
Paul,

Nice to see it all written out neatly! Many thanks.

I'm working through a similar set of tests and have found that I'm now getting better than the MKi - so that's a start - the factory reset does seem to have done something (that I can't find) which has improved things markedly, and I'm now getting reasonable performance across the board. (I ditched all my settings and started again! - to be sure it wasn't a stray setting).

I've got onto the C-AF settings and looks like the tracking is sorting most of the issue out, however trying to photograph songbirds in a tree the focussing keeps bouncing between the original subject and the nearest branch! which is fine once you've realised it's going to do it (so you use C-AF selectively).

It does look like some of my issues are grounded in the difference in the way C-AF operates across the two cameras and I need to change my work to match!

I have also had a battery out to reset lock up and a "check lens" issue though today, so I'm beginning to think I've got a rogue camera!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 22nd March 2017

Normal service has been resumed:

I think that the camera must have been out of the box and played with by the dealer at some point! I've ended up doing TWO factory resets! and re-started plugging through all the menus to get somewhere near normality!

I have also found that the C-AF definitely works differently (though that was the whole point so no real surprise) and I have had to adapt very slightly to it! Switching to C-AF+tr has solved some of the issues I was finding yesterday.

I have found that if the subject is not in brilliant sunshine, the C-AF does wander a few mm - but understanding that allows for a work around!

Anyway some straight out of the camera photos: ALL are E-M1 MKii, 300mm f4 plus MC1.4. ISO3200, 1/1000, f5.6

Some Olympus stuff
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (22nd March 2017), DavyG (23rd March 2017)
Old 22nd March 2017

PS - I wouldn't have put ANY ISO3200 photos up for people to look at from the MKi - so there IS a difference!

Some Olympus stuff
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Now you can move on to trying ProCapture Low with C-AF.
Old 22nd March 2017

And a post-processed version of one of them!

I think I'm a little happier now!

Some Olympus stuff
DavyG (23rd March 2017), Greytop (23rd March 2017), MJ224 (23rd March 2017), Yorkie (24th March 2017)
Old 22nd March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
Now you can move on to trying ProCapture Low with C-AF.
I'm just relieved that I've gone from a place where I thought I'd made a massive mistake with the camera to actually thinking there is an improvement over the MKi - yesterday was VERY worrying!

PRO capture and high res are on the menu for investigation!

Some Olympus stuff
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 684 Times in 355 Posts

[img]

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2869/33438235422_7188014d44_b.jpg[/img]
Black Headed Gull on a mission by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Pair of Woodies by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Mr Robin by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Black Headed Gull on a mission by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

First day out with the new toy. Reasonably pleased with results........

More practice and study needed.....

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
DavyG (23rd March 2017)
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Nice shots, you can certainly enjoy! I'm still passing through the learning curve of this camera the same way, after three birding sessions I can see the improvements in the photos. As the camera is the very same, it's clear where is the need for improvement...

_3181132_DxO by c12402, on Flickr

_3170402_DxO by c12402, on Flickr
Bob Barger (23rd March 2017), DavyG (23rd March 2017), Gwyver (23rd March 2017), Yorkie (24th March 2017)
Old 23rd March 2017

Liked 120 Times in 79 Posts

Ok, I forgot that factory reset the day I collected the camera. I think I need to do that.

Those shots Walti, shows the AF working well.

I think it's that lens reset. I cannot remember if mine was still at default.

The settings were the same in the mk1. Only thing I keep getting on the mk2 is the lens keep refocusing. Unlike the mk1, the focus don't move as much.

I do agree it could be me error but I can't seem to find where that error is.
Old 23rd March 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by c12402 View Post
Nice shots, you can certainly enjoy! I'm still passing through the learning curve of this camera the same way, after three birding sessions I can see the improvements in the photos. As the camera is the very same, it's clear where is the need for
Wow, that robin shot is absolutely amazing, well done!!
Old 23rd March 2017

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barger View Post
Wow, that robin shot is absolutely amazing, well done!!
In reality, that robin resulted a very good actor, just look another nice water effect from the same bird...

https://flic.kr/p/RQKXq6
Old 23rd March 2017

Liked 955 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
I'm just relieved that I've gone from a place where I thought I'd made a massive mistake with the camera to actually thinking there is an improvement over the MKi - yesterday was VERY worrying!

PRO capture and high res are on the menu for investigation!
Good to hear that you're resolving the issues you had Walti.

I'm sure you'll be delighted with the Mark II, it does perform well.

I'm still learning but have been happy with the results so far:
Red Kite by David Goodwin, on Flickr

Crested Tit by David Goodwin, on Flickr

Robin by David Goodwin, on Flickr

Chaffinch by David Goodwin, on Flickr

Coal Tit by David Goodwin, on Flickr

Turnstone by David Goodwin, on Flickr

I look forward to seeing more of your images.

Dave
bredman (11th April 2017), Greytop (23rd March 2017), MJ224 (23rd March 2017), OM USer (24th March 2017), Yorkie (24th March 2017)
Old 23rd March 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,844 Times in 2,190 Posts
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,621 Posts

Absolutely love the turnstone.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
DavyG (23rd March 2017)