Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 21st March 2017

Liked 955 Times in 259 Posts
Re: AF not as accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezeG View Post
Meh!, just went out today to trail the camera on birds. About 2% keeper rate!
Obviously operator error, Ive just noticed both tracking and face recognition are on.
Must do better, will try again tomorrow.
Loving the resolving power of the 14-150 f2.8 Pro though, these were taken with the 1.4 TC attached.
Turn face recognition off, it slows the camera down.

Please see my reply to Walti also,

Dave
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 3,009 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote:
Obviously operator error, Ive just noticed both tracking and face recognition are on.
Loving the resolving power of the 14-150 f2.8 Pro though, these were taken with the 1.4 TC attached.
Tracking is a waste of space - turn it off. Face recognition is very good, but only for faces

I discussed CAF setup with Tesni Ward, who spoke at The Photography Show about using the mkii on wildlife (with excellent results), and her recommendations are:

- CAF Scanner - mode 2
- Tracking off
- Single focus point, with 5 or 9 point sometimes if the subject suits it
- AF Lock - tight (-5)

Technique then requires keeping the subject under the focus point (s). If Olympus ever fix tracking, it'll make this aspect a lot simpler!
The Following User Liked This Post:
DavyG (21st March 2017)
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 955 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Tracking is a waste of space - turn it off. Face recognition is very good, but only for faces

I discussed CAF setup with Tesni Ward, who spoke at The Photography Show about using the mkii on wildlife (with excellent results), and her recommendations are:

- CAF scanner mode 2
- Tracking off
- Single focus point, with 5 or 9 point sometimes
- AF lock - tight (-5)

Technique then requires keeping the subject under the focus point (s).
I disagree about tracking, I used it on the E-M1 and continue to do so on the Mark II.

The camera will only track as long as the operator is keeping up with subject, I agree it's not perfect but it does work.

I also found it useful when photographing static Damselfiles and Dragonflies on windy days, the focus point moved with the subject and helped increase my keeper rate, ymmv.

Thanks for listing Tesni's recommendations, I'll compare these with my current settings.

Dave
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 292 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Have you checked the RLS Priority settings for S-AF & C-AF? (See Cog C1).
Also AF Limiter - Priority Release (See Cog A1) - if you're using the AF-Limiter functions.
If these items are set to "On" - the shutter can be fired even though AF confirmation has not occurred.
DavyG (21st March 2017)
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 3,009 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
I disagree about tracking, I used it on the E-M1 and continue to do so on the Mark II.

The camera will only track as long as the operator is keeping up with subject, I agree it's not perfect but it does work.

I also found it useful when photographing static Damselfiles and Dragonflies on windy days, the focus point moved with the subject and helped increase my keeper rate, ymmv.

Thanks for listing Tesni's recommendations, I'll compare these with my current settings.

Dave
Ah, so you have managed to get tracking to work then? That's good to know - I've always found it failed miserably. What I do know is that it's a feature that's a hang over from older implementations. I suspect it only works using contrast AF too, but I could be wrong.
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Have you checked the RLS Priority settings for S-AF & C-AF? (See Cog C1).
Also AF Limiter - Priority Release (See Cog A1) - if you're using the AF-Limiter functions.
If these items are set to "On" - the shutter can be fired even though AF confirmation has not occurred.
Thanks for that, will check them out.
Old 21st March 2017

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Not sure this case is connected with the discussion, but just in case it may help....

I'm currently in the process of fine tuning my settings on the em1.2 (coming from em5) for birding.

One major enhancement to my focus rate was to set lens reset parameter to OFF (default is ON). The issue is that in the time lapse between one bird and the next, the camera frecuently enters in idle mode, and this mode reset the lens forcing it to refocus the scene, making useless to pre-focus at a given place where you are expecting the bird to stop.

I was previously assuming that this reset happens when camera is switched off, but it also happens when entering in Low power modes.

With birds moving so fast, I was missing focus constantly...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to c12402 For This Useful Post:
Bengeo (22nd March 2017), cliff (15th April 2017), Grumpy Hec (22nd March 2017), Phill D (22nd March 2017), Zuiko (21st March 2017)
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 505 Times in 206 Posts

No focusing problems to report with mine.
Very pleased with the results both from S-AF and C-AF.

Olympus bodies and lenses
CaptureOne Pro
My flickr
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
I've rattled off a few in the garden this morning and am quite underwhelmed so far!

I'm going to do a back to back to see what the difference is, but I'm getting a lot of out of focus and blurred photos I simply don't get with the MKi - so some settings to be investigated I think (hope)...

I'm disappointed with the my sets on the dial only as well (I've set two up onto buttons on the MKi which allows me to switch without taking my eye from the viewfinder.... I'm not sure I can manage this so well from the dial)
Seems Me and Walti are the only 2 having issues?

I do not use the multi AF points, I have set it to single AF smack in the middle. SA-F in all my test. off. Question, Did I get as lemon set? Or after all these years of using an Oly camera, this is one unit that really need me to change my shooting style?

Here is an example of the error..all shots are shot with Single exposure SA-F.

The subject is practically stationary. I do not have this issue with the mk1.

The start of the sequence, is tack sharp. No complains.

Crop of the above.

The camera beeps an AF confirmation and..

Crop of the above..

A few shots later..

Crop of the above...

More pictures of the sequence are here.
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 898 Times in 545 Posts

Interesting comments and info here. So far on my one outing I found the Mk2 focusing to be much more assured than my mk1 especially with my Lumix 14-140. The 40-150 also seemed to work well but then it did with my mark 1. I. It's a lot better than the mk1 with my Pan/Leica 14-150. I think the main improvement is from the cross type focus points.
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts

Hi I have looked at your sequence of images A your shutter speed was 1/100th

B you were shooting in Single AF mode,

C The subject is moving parts of the body i.e. arms maybe head rocking back and Forth

D.shallow depth of field ie f2.8 as s-af only focuses upon the first frame would explain first is sharp all this information would indicate that to be operator error not camera error. Any movment at these settings with a telephoto lens would show some form of out of focus blurring on shots after the first.

This is my observation of these shots and camera settings.
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 673 Times in 272 Posts

I'm still trying to work out what I've done wrong - The camera seems fine and has been subjected to a factory reset, so I'll start again!

Enthusiasm has taken a bit of a hit though!

I think I need to switch to CF+TR to resolve the issues I think I've had - I'll give it a go and report back!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 247 Times in 87 Posts

No AF problems here. Been using the Mark 2 since last December and find it better than the Mark 1. It will be nice to have the smaller focus point if they reintroduce that.
Old 22nd March 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,178 Posts
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
Hi I have looked at your sequence of images A your shutter speed was 1/100th

B you were shooting in Single AF mode,

C The subject is moving parts of the body i.e. arms maybe head rocking back and Forth

D.shallow depth of field ie f2.8 as s-af only focuses upon the first frame would explain first is sharp all this information would indicate that to be operator error not camera error. Any movment at these settings with a telephoto lens would show some form of out of focus blurring on shots after the first.

This is my observation of these shots and camera settings.
The problem is that Image stabilization is so good we take it for granted. It is easy to forget that whilst it prevents blurring due to camera shake, it has no effect upon subject movement. I suspect the subject was quite an animated speaker and 1/100th of a second was just too slow. The ISO was only 400 and I would have been inclined to crank it up to at least 1600 for a faster shutter speed.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 92 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c12402 View Post
Not sure this case is connected with the discussion, but just in case it may help....

I'm currently in the process of fine tuning my settings on the em1.2 (coming from em5) for birding.

One major enhancement to my focus rate was to set lens reset parameter to OFF (default is ON). The issue is that in the time lapse between one bird and the next, the camera frecuently enters in idle mode, and this mode reset the lens forcing it to refocus the scene, making useless to pre-focus at a given place where you are expecting the bird to stop.

I was previously assuming that this reset happens when camera is switched off, but it also happens when entering in Low power modes.

With birds moving so fast, I was missing focus constantly...
Good catch! I previously thought that Lens Reset only reset the focal length of an electrically zoomed lens, not the focus distance.
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyR For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (14th April 2017)