Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 27th March 2015

Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Re: Who uses Stylus 1?

Thank you so much Ross for going to all that trouble. I'm really grateful!
I have to say that I'm very impressed with the higher ISO shots, especially compared to the higher spec of the E-M1.
And you're right, I hadn't realised that the Stylus 1 was half the weight of the FZ 1000!
Once again thank you very much
Best wishes
Marcia
The Following User Says Thank You to wellyboot For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (27th March 2015)
Old 27th March 2015

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

I loved that Stylus 1. I went with it to Kota Kinabalu with a group of photographers.

This was shot from inside a moving van. The IS do work.
B01)

Was challenging a TQ-3 toa macro shot, Stylus 1 lost.
B02)

B03)
DerekC (27th March 2015), Ross the fiddler (27th March 2015)
Old 29th March 2015

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this thread, especially Ross.
As a result I went and bought a Stylus 1 yesterday!! I'm really pleased with it so far, but having realised the firmware needed updating I think I should be even more pleased!!
As always with updates, a very fraught 10 minutes or so, but it all went well.
Such a shame we have high winds and squally showers today. But it will give me a chance to set it up as I like and to explore all the things that are different from the OMD's eg exp comp!!
Thank you all again
Marcia
The Following User Says Thank You to wellyboot For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (29th March 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
DerekC (29th March 2015)
Old 29th March 2015

Liked 1,064 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyboot View Post
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this thread, especially Ross. As a result I went and bought a Stylus 1 yesterday!! I'm really pleased with it so far, but having realised the firmware needed updating I think I should be even more pleased!!
Marcia
Would be interesting to hear more once you have tried it out. 1st impressions so to speak?

Mine arrived, or so the 'Missed You' card informed me yesterday when I arrived back home late in the evening.

For the first time in ages, I'm actually looking forward to a Monday morning, but to the fact I may have to do an update... more time wasted.

Just hope it's all worth it?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Liked This Post:
jamsa (29th March 2015)
Old 29th March 2015

Thanked 1,084 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 1,218 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Would be interesting to hear more once you have tried it out. 1st impressions so to speak?

Mine arrived, or so the 'Missed You' card informed me yesterday when I arrived back home late in the evening.

For the first time in ages, I'm actually looking forward to a Monday morning, but to the fact I may have to do an update... more time wasted.

Just hope it's all worth it?
The update will be worth it, I just hope you will be happy with the camera as well after all of my persuasions & sorry you now have to wait for it.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 29th March 2015

Liked 282 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this thread, especially Ross.
As a result I went and bought a Stylus 1 yesterday!! I'm really pleased with it so far, but having realised the firmware needed updating I think I should be even more pleased!!
Such a shame we have high winds and squally showers today. But it will give me a chance to set it up as I like and to explore all the things that are different from the OMD's eg exp comp!!
Thank you all again
Marcia
Hi Marcia -

Just one thing to look out for - when at the Photography Show at the NEC, I think it was Paul (PDK) who wanted to take a pic or two with mine and he had difficulty gaining a focus on the subject/s. Looking at the settings a few minutes later I spotted the FN2 button/switch at the front of the camera had been knocked on to another setting. Not the first time this has happened. One to keep in mind should it happen to you.

Regards. Barr1e
DerekC (29th March 2015), Wally (29th March 2015)
Old 29th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
Hi Marcia -

Just one thing to look out for - when at the Photography Show at the NEC, I think it was Paul (PDK) who wanted to take a pic or two with mine and he had difficulty gaining a focus on the subject/s. Looking at the settings a few minutes later I spotted the FN2 button/switch at the front of the camera had been knocked on to another setting. Not the first time this has happened. One to keep in mind should it happen to you.

Regards. Barr1e
Thank you Barr1e. A good bit of info that will doubtless stop me scratching my head and posting about a faulty Stylus 1, as having looked at it, I can see that it could easily be moved!
I've also just realised that the firmware update caused my settings to disappear, so I am back to the drawing board again!
All that being said, I think it is going to be a welcome addition to my Olympus Kennel (having 3 dogs I thought Kennel far more appropriate than Stable, especially as it's for use while walking the dogs!)
Best wishes
Marcia
Old 29th March 2015

Liked 43 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Hi Marcia -

Regards. Barr1e
Thanks Barr1e and Marcia, When I started this post I didn't realise how much interest it would generate. I haven't clicked buy just yet but shouldn't long. It interesting what Barr1e says about the buttons/switches being knocked. With looking at the Stylus 1 the layout is similar to the OM-D, I find it so easy to move the wheel around the shutter button altering the exposure comp catch the rear wheel altering the shutter speed. I have altered some settings so they don't get adjusted.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 29th March 2015

Quote:
Hi Marcia -

Regards. Barr1e
That sounds like the lever around the Fn2 button on the front & by default it changes to MF. It caught me out on at least one occasion but is useful for a quick change for MF (if actually used).
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 29th March 2015

Quote:
Thank you all again
Marcia
Oh dear! What have I done? I hope you do enjoy it & find it fills your needs well.

Old 30th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekC View Post
Thanks Barr1e and Marcia, When I started this post I didn't realise how much interest it would generate. I haven't clicked buy just yet but shouldn't long. It interesting what Barr1e says about the buttons/switches being knocked. With looking at the Stylus 1 the layout is similar to the OM-D, I find it so easy to move the wheel around the shutter button altering the exposure comp catch the rear wheel altering the shutter speed. I have altered some settings so they don't get adjusted.
The XZ-2 & Stylus 1 both use that front lever to change from click stop for changing parameters to smooth for MF or zoom if you wish. It is just something you need to be aware of so if it does get bumped you aren't caught out. I had another member ringing me up because it happened to him on his XZ-2 & thankfully I realised what had happened & could help him, but it is nothing to worry about, just a useful feature.

BTW, I have posted another thread where all the photos were taken on the Stylus 1. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37074
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
DerekC (30th March 2015)
Old 30th March 2015

Liked 43 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
The XZ-2 & Stylus 1 both use that front lever to change from click stop for changing parameters to smooth for MF or zoom if you wish. It is just something you need to be aware of so if it does get bumped you aren't caught out. I had another member ringing me up because it happened to him on his XZ-2 & thankfully I realised what had happened & could help him, but it is nothing to worry about, just a useful feature.

BTW, I have posted another thread where all the photos were taken on the Stylus 1. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37074
Thanks for the information. This is something I have found out when using the EM-1. So easy to make an adjustment with out realising. EM-1 it is the rotary dials. Something to be aware of, thanks.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 30th March 2015

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

I set that lever to select operation of the lens ring to the zoom function.

If knocked the camera continues to behave normally and the effect is noticed as soon as you touch the ring to change aperture/speed.

Sid
Old 30th March 2015

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

some more examples of the Stylus 1 images..

The Following User Says Thank You to jamsa For This Useful Post:
DerekC (30th March 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (30th March 2015), Ross the fiddler (30th March 2015)
Old 30th March 2015

Liked 1,064 Times in 462 Posts

My new toy (Stylus 1) has arrived. Was banging on the Delivery Office door at opening time... and here are some first comparisons

I've compared my existing EP-3 17mm f2.8 lens and my XZ-1 agaist the Stylus 1.

Size VS Weight VS ???:

Dimensions:
Depth: Front of lens to rear screen / EVF eyepiece on Stylus 1.

The XZ-1 is 49mm / The EP-3 is 63mm / The Stylus 1 is 67mm

Length: Strap eyelet to eyelet.
The XZ-1 is 115mm / The EP-3 is 137mm / The Stylus 1 is 115mm

Height: Base to flash cap / Top of EVF on Stylus 1
The XZ-1 is 69mm / The EP-3 is 70mm / The Stylus 1 is 85mm

Barebones ready to shoot weights - SD card and battery fitted.
EP-3 = 458grms / XZ-1 = 276grms / Stylus 1 = 409grms

Things change, however, when the XZ-1 and EP-3 are fitted with the VF2.

Stylus 1
Weight 409grms / Depth 67mm / Height 85mm inc EVF

EP-3 + EVF-2
Weight 489grms / Depth 81mm / Height 112mm inc EVF-2

XZ-1 + EVF-2
Weight 305grms / Depth 70mm / Height 100mm inc EVF-2

Keeping to the basics:

The Stylus 1 and the EP-3 both lose out to the XZ-1 in both size and weight - not quite shirt pocket rockets. EP-3 and Stylus 1 Touch Screen - XZ-1 no touch screen.

XZ-1 f1.8 - 6-24/28-112 mm range. Stylus 1 f2.8 28-300mm. EP-3 various lens ranges.

Stylus 1, deeper, taller but not as heavy as the EP-3: Stylus 1 = 409grms. EP-3/17mm f2.8 = 458 / inc EVF-2 = 489grms.
Stylus 1 focal range 28mm 300mm Fixed EVF plus folding view-screen.

Comparison shots can be found here

Overall, against the other two, the Stylus 1 has, in my eyes few disadvantages and offers many advantages. it is heavier and bulkier than the other two. Where it comes into its own, is that it covers a much larger focal range with constant f2.8 without add-ons. Less problems with lens changing and the advantage / disadvantage of a fixed EVF.

A folding EVF could make a world of difference in many circumstances as could an E-3 type screen? In the words of QUEEN, I want it all, and I want it now!

The build quality seems very good. Nice and solid with good overall balance.

BTW. The camera update went ahead without problems... so far, so good and overall in the first few hours, I'm quite impressed.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following Users Liked This Post:
DerekC (31st March 2015), jamsa (30th March 2015), OM USer (30th March 2015), Ross the fiddler (30th March 2015)