Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 14th September 2017

Liked 671 Times in 347 Posts
Re: Lens (and other bits) help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Thank you Beagletorque, you posted as I was replying to the first three to reply.

Because I will not be using (or only once or twice a year for very casual and limited use) the video capabilities of the E-M1 ii, I thought that the 1000 speed cards would probably be sufficient for my needs. I had read that someone was happily using 95Mbps cards in the E-M1 ii for their everyday photography which made me think that If I go one step above, I should be fine. Maybe I'll have to have another think about it. Thanks once again.
Hi Keith, sorry for a let reply...

Reference the SD card, I use the X1000 and find its OK. Its obviously not as fast s the X2000. I do tend to use the slower sequential bursts when photoing Birds In Flight (BIF). The camera does then take several seconds to write its data (RAW) to the card, and of course the camera is not usable whilst doing this. But to date I have not found this to be excessive or a big drawback.

Have to say I only use the X1000 as it was sold to me at the camera show last April along with the Mk2..............

I have assigned the 2nd card slot to video, and I use a 30 Mb/s standard SD card again without any noticeable delays. But I don't use the video a lot.

Ref lenses, I use the Pro 12-40, really good. Also the 40-150 Pro, another excellent lens. And the Panasonic 100-400mm for birding. Superb lens. You can hire a lens from Ian on the is site, to assess before committing to a purchase...

Good luck.................

My Flickr
Old 14th September 2017

Liked 3,284 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
E-M1 ii
Fantastic camera. The best I've ever owned. You'll love it I'm sure. The eShutter is fantastic and has become my go-to setting. Fast, quiet, no mechanical wear and since the readout speed is so fast (about 1/60 sec) almost no downsides in the real world.

Quote:
2x Lexar Pro 1000 cards
I use these - but remember that slot 2 is not UHSII so you won't get the benefit of the faster card in that slot.

Quote:
Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro lens (a must have)
A great choice. It's a very nice macro lens.

Quote:
1 - I feel that the Oly 12-100 f4 Pro would suit my purposes best, mainly for its versatility, but I can't help keep thinking about the 12-40 f2.8 Pro (I think mainly because it's 2.8, smaller and lighter....cheaper too). Any points of view, help or advice (or even alternatives) would be more than welcome.
I had the Panasonic f2.8 combo - 12-35 and 35-100 and swapped them for the 12-100. In general I'm very happy with the swap - the IQ is better, the image stabilisation is unreal (I can reliably do 8s handheld exposures at 12mm), it's one lens and not two and it's very well built. On the downside, it's f4 not f2.8 and it's notably bigger & heavier than the 35-100. For what I use it for it works for me, but you need to ask whether the loss of a stop of light and extra weight work for you.

Quote:
2 - The Olympus 70-300 seems ideal for me regarding focal lengths (and especially price) to start me off. (I have been used to 300mm (= 450 FF) on my existing cam so going to 300 (=600 FF) on the 4/3 is a decent jump for me .... for now. My problems are -
a - I have seen quite a few comments on forums regarding people having to change this lens two or three times before finally getting a good copy.
b - According to a couple of professional reviews I've read, (and it is has also been complained about in some forums), the E-M1 ii has a really nasty bug when using the 70-300mm Olympus lens. When using at telephoto it apparently completely disables IBIS when it is focused on close objects (the lowest focus distance). Any thoughts/experiences or advice regarding these reported problems with this lens (or suggestions for alternatives with a similar range) is again most welcome.
I had the Panasonic 100-300 in the past and was never happy with it. Most people say that the 75-300 is similar in performance. For me, these "budget" zooms suffer in IQ at the long end and of course they are pretty slow (f6.3). If long lens work is important to you, I think you need to spend some more. The 300/f4 is fantastic - a truly stunning lens (at a price). Take a look at my post on it here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45107

If you want to spend a little less, the 40-150 Pro + 1.4 TC is an excellent combo too (but not as sharp with the TC as the 300/4). As an even cheaper alternative (probably no more than the 75-300), the older 4/3 50-200 f2.8-f3.5 SWD plus the MMF adapter is excellent, if a little heavy. It works very well on the E-M1ii.

Quote:
3 - Has anybody got any advice, from experience, regarding the best screen protector for the E-M1 ii. I've seen the glass ones on Amazon which seem good but again, any experiences/advice gratefully received regarding quality, fitting, screen closing with protector on etc..
I never use them. If you're careful the screen is actually pretty robust.
Old 14th September 2017

Liked 30 Times in 27 Posts

OK. Thanks everybody so far for your insights and advice. You have all been a great help in clearing my mind regarding my new set up.

percy, Phill, Wee man - Thank you all. My decision is made thanks to your advice and to your experiences regarding the anti glare screen. I will be getting the 'Expert Shield' 'Lifetime Guarantee' screen protector. Thanks again.

Crazy Dave - Yes, I know what you mean regarding size/weight. I did have both lenses on the cam when I tried it in the shop and although the 12-40 was lighter, I do feel that the 12-100 would be on the camera for much longer and be more useful to me personally .. so that's the one I'll be going for. Thanks for your thoughts.

AMc, MJ224 - Thank you. I normally use 1 x 64GB with 2 x 32GB as backup. When on holiday I normally change cards once or twice just to be sure everything I've taken is 'in the bag' (my wife had a card fail, it could not be recognised on any machine so all was lost, luckily she had changed cards a couple of days previously so only two days shots were lost. Bad but no disaster.) I am now searching for the cheapest place in the UK for cards so I can get the best I can for the money. Thanks both of you.
MJ224 - Lenses, yes, always a quandary and I certainly don't want to acquire a bad case of GAS .. not at my age anyway :-). The 12-40 and 14-150 are, for me personally just too short. I have decided on the 12-100 f4 Pro but am still contemplating on which long zoom to get. It has to be 300mm minimum at the long end, which seems to give me a choice of the Olympus 75-300 or the Panasonic 100-400. Decisions, decisions, but one I must try to get right first time. Thanks for your suggestions.

pdk42 - Thank you. Yes, I'm sure I will love the camera too. It really felt at home in my hands, it's just the menus and best settings I may have problems with but I have been following this forum and google is our friend so I have got a few bookmarks ready with various help pages/settings to try.
Which cards I eventually settle on is still to be decided as I am still looking for the best prices in the UK for them.
Yes, the 60mm macro and 12-100 are the two lenses I have definitely decided on for the wide end, the long end is yet to be settled. Although I appreciate that the Oly 300mm is amazing, I really don't want a fixed length lens. I know that the 40-150 Pro + 1.4TC is also good but unfortunately the TC can only be used with the 40-150 and the 300mm lenses so that is an expense which is very limiting in its use. I really do feel that a zoom is my best option with a long length of no less that 300mm. I do wish that Oly would bring out either an updated version of the 75-300 or an alternative to the Panasonic 100-400, that would solve my problems but until then I'm still looking at the moment. Thank you for your help and advice.

Thank you all once again for your help and advice.

Kind regards
Keith
Old 14th September 2017

Liked 121 Times in 43 Posts

Keith,

I have the m4/3 75-300 and love it. It replaced the Sigma 50-500 I used with my old Pentax gear. That lens was used mainly at airshows and the 75-300 does the job excellently. Clearly it is easier to handle!

Have not experienced the close focusing issues you mention.

The EM1 Mk 2 is a fantastic camera but demands some effort getting used to the menu system but that effort is well worth it in my opinion.

Tim
Old 14th September 2017

090657 - Thank you for your thoughts on the 75-300. It seems some of people love it and some like it, feeling it's a little soft at 300. The jury's still out regarding the long lens I will buy. Good to hear you have no problems at the close end though. Thanks again.
Old 16th September 2017

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied with help, thoughts, ideas, experiences and comments. You have all been very helpful.

I got my brand spanking new E-M1 ii on Friday, complete with 12-100 f4 Pro and 60 f2.8 macro. Cards, batteries, screen protecter etc. etc are on order. I am now slowly nursing the camera to life, going through the manual and attempting to set it up how I feel I want it at present. I'm sure most of these settings will change as I get into using the camera but as long as I get the main settings sorted I can work from there.

Thanks again folks

Regards
Keith
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (17th September 2017), Johnheatingman (16th September 2017)
Old 16th September 2017

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Well done. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 17th September 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 951 Posts
Liked 1,032 Times in 585 Posts

Yes congratulations from me too. That's a pretty sparkling kick off purchase with two lenses I've been wondering about for a while now. Looking forward to seeing your image posts.